oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

27 minutes ago, nlm said:

Cishek with the BS and blowup in the 9th... I doubt he will be available tomorrow.

He didn't want to leave any doubt about who will be closing when Pedro Strop comes off the IL this weekend.

18 hours ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

You think he’s the closer long term?

18 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Would Atlanta give up on him as a starter so soon? 

Frankly, this is probably all moot because Shane Greene may be in the ATL sooner than later. The Braves pen is a trainwreck, and it needs stabilization. I’m not convinced Greene is the answer, but we’ll probably find out. 

18 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I don't think Atlanta has given up on him as a starter.  However, he's in the bullpen now and similar to Hicks' last year I could see a scenario where he continues to do well enough.  I don't have any particular insight just a viewpoint.  I am in a holds league so would be elated if he continued in a set up role...

18 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

It seems pretty clear the Braves still hope Toussaint can be a solid SP. Probably the same for Newcomb, which would be another reason Jackson got the save today.

Speaking of which, I don't think it's entirely clear that Luke Jackson has the job. He came into a tie game in the 12th and got the W. But Webb, Blevins, and Toussaint all came into a tie game from the 8th-11th as well.

I mean sure, Luke looks like the guy to own again after today. But it's not like they specifically saved him until they had the lead either. And there are clearly other guys on the team and off the team (Greene and/or Kimbrel) who could end up taking the job.

Let's reset things here.  I follow Atlanta pretty closely.  They want Touki to be a starter still but with Soroka, Fried, Gasuman, Folty and Teheran having the rotation on lockdown there's no room.  Yes Teheran has actually been ok.  Folty isn't all the way back yet but he has a long leash cause of last year.   If Touki (or Newcomb) had been more consistent in a starting role they'd still be in the rotation, but they weren't and Fried/Soroka have been.  So there you go.

Newcomb can't throw enough strikes as a starter but he might can get by for an inning or two out of the pen.  Touki could be elite out of the pen as the Andrew Miller/Josh Hader-esque multi inning fireman.  But I firmly believe they haven't given up on him as a starter.  I also 1) don't think Newcomb is reliable enough to close and 2) using Touki as closer would actually *limit* his real life RP value. 

As for the Shane Greene rumor, Atlanta has been attached to just about every guy who might fit since the start of the offseason and 99.99999% of the time these articles just mean "yep they talked.  nope atlanta isn't giving up half of what they wanted."  I'll be surprised if it happens.  Kimbrel on a short deal post June 5th?  Maybe..... probably not.  They'll do something to address the pen but it most likely will be underwhelming and penny pinching.

Where does that leave us?  Long term your options are:

1)  Luke Jackson continues to hold it.  He actually looks pretty good.  Like a totally different guy with better stuff from last year.  Yes he had some hiccups last couple weeks but he isn't and hasn't lost the job cause of it yet.  A couple more and maybe...  This is partly cause who else is gonna do it?  

2)  AJ Minter gets his head right in AAA and makes a comeback.  This is possible, no idea how likely.  Minter is not right.

3)  Sign Kimbrel.  Not much else to say here, but it won't happen unless it's on a discount.

4)  Make a trade.  This would be for the likes of a Shane Greene, Will Smith, Michael Gyvens type.  (I'm not sure Gyvens is actually better than Jackson...)

I still think Jackson holds the role in the short term and what happens longer term depends on how he does and how the team does over the next ~month.  

Edited by LJJr
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, LJJr said:

Let's reset things here.  I follow Atlanta pretty closely.  They want Touki to be a starter still but with Soroka, Fried, Gasuman, Folty and Teheran having the rotation on lockdown there's no room.  Yes Teheran has actually been ok.  Folty isn't all the way back yet but he has a long leash cause of last year.   If Touki (or Newcomb) had been more consistent in a starting role they'd still be in the rotation, but they weren't and Fried/Soroka have been.  So there you go.

Newcomb can't throw enough strikes as a starter but he might can get by for an inning or two out of the pen.  Touki could be elite out of the pen as the Andrew Miller/Josh Hader-esque multi inning fireman.  But I firmly believe they haven't given up on him as a starter.  I also 1) don't think Newcomb is reliable enough to close and 2) using Touki as closer would actually *limit* his real life RP value. 

As for the Shane Greene rumor, Atlanta has been attached to just about every guy who might fit since the start of the offseason and 99.99999% of the time these articles just mean "yep they talked.  nope atlanta isn't giving up half of what they wanted."  I'll be surprised if it happens.  Kimbrel on a short deal post June 5th?  Maybe..... probably not.  They'll do something to address the pen but it most likely will be underwhelming and penny pinching.

1)  Luke Jackson continues to hold it.  He actually looks pretty good.  Like a totally different guy with better stuff from last year.  Yes he had some hiccups last couple weeks but he isn't and hasn't lost the job cause of it yet.  A couple more and maybe...  This is partly cause who else is gonna do it?  

2)  AJ Minter gets his head right in AAA and makes a comeback.  This is possible, no idea how likely.  Minter is not right.

3)  Sign Kimbrel.  Not much else to say here, but it won't happen unless it's on a discount.

4)  Make a trade.  This would be for the likes of a Shane Greene, Will Smith, Michael Gyvens type.  (I'm not sure Gyvens is actually better than Jackson...)

I still think Jackson holds the role in the short term and what happens longer term depends on how he does and how the team does over the next ~month.  

Givens isn't. 

7 hours ago, LJJr said:

The "Touki could be elite out of the pen" was basically my point...

1 hour ago, checkers said:

Oberg looks like the lead man for Rockies at the moment

Well yeah the manager announced that officially as soon as Wade Davis went to the IL.   So no mystery there for now except how he will do filling in.  

And given the mess the manager makes out of using hitters it was refreshing to see an actual definitive statement about one guy, one role, from him for a change.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

shawn kelley with the save for texas, with c martin setting him up in the 8th.  guess woodward really sticking to his word that he is going to take his time getting leclerc back into the closer role, as jose has been pretty lights out lately.

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well yeah the manager announced that officially as soon as Wade Davis went to the IL.   So no mystery there for now except how he will do filling in.  

And given the mess the manager makes out of using hitters it was refreshing to see an actual definitive statement about one guy, one role, from him for a change.

So maybe 3-4 weeks of Oberg?

What "closer in waiting" is everyone grabbing, hoping that the closer in front of them gets traded before the deadline? Two that I'm looking at: Jimenez in DET and Moronta/Melancon in SF. Am I missing any others?

12 minutes ago, codog24 said:

What "closer in waiting" is everyone grabbing, hoping that the closer in front of them gets traded before the deadline? Two that I'm looking at: Jimenez in DET and Moronta/Melancon in SF. Am I missing any others?

Considering the trade deadline is about 10 weeks away, it’s probably early to start stashing on the hopes of a trade. So much can happen and as other pointed out, Greene was “certain” to be traded last deadline. Doesn’t always work.

That said, those seem to be the sellers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, codog24 said:

Keep an eye on Biagini in Toronto.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, smeeze said:

I thought GIles was under a team friendly contract and there wasnt much motivation/incentive to move him

1 hour ago, codog24 said:

Not very appealing any of them.  Jimenez hasn't been very good since he came up (in spite of the hype),  Moronta has been getting lit up fairly regularly lately and Melancon's numbers are not closer worthy.    But yes those are three guys to consider if desperate for saves...

I am sure Romo will be available so Miami might go to Guerrero or Anderson,  Ian Kennedy in Kansas in which Barlow/Dierkman are currently pitching pretty well and could be next in line.  White Sox, Nationals, and Toronto are all out of it and have closers to dangle as well... 

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Thanks 1

Neris almost has identical numbers to Chapman so far this season.  The only difference is Chapman has 5 more saves.  If only Kapler would commit to him as full time we a looking at an elite closer the rest of the way.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, motown magic said:

What about Diekman ? He’s been solid . 

Anybody think he could get saves?

1 hour ago, motown magic said:

Anybody think he could get saves?

Rotoprofessor is very high on him.  I picked him up and in hopes he could eventually get saves.

2 hours ago, reichl555 said:

Neris almost has identical numbers to Chapman so far this season.  The only difference is Chapman has 5 more saves.  If only Kapler would commit to him as full time we a looking at an elite closer the rest of the way.

The thing is, he basically has.  Yeah, maybe another guy will get a random save once a week, but Neris has gotten pretty much all of their saves for a while now.

It's more of a matter of whether he can keep being an elite reliever.  He's never been quite this good in the past.

5 hours ago, arthurpete said:

I thought GIles was under a team friendly contract and there wasnt much motivation/incentive to move him

I would think they move him with a good enough deal. Toronto not looking like a heavy favorite for 2020. He is pitching very well and should get a nice prospect or two for him. 

So is it a given Davis is out 4 weeks minimum?

10 hours ago, smeeze said:

He was impressive today as a batting practice pitcher. ;)

• Haha 2