oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

7 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Fry has the better numbers of the names mentioned. he is also LHP.

Fewer innings, but Armstrong has better numbers than Fry. Josh Lucas wasn’t mentioned, but he has better numbers than both. 

4 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Fewer innings, but Armstrong has better numbers than Fry. Josh Lucas wasn’t mentioned, but he has better numbers than both. 

Armstrong has better numbers with Baltimore, but he was also with Seattle this season where he gave up 6 ER in 3.2 IP.

5 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

Armstrong has better numbers with Baltimore, but he was also with Seattle this season where he gave up 6 ER in 3.2 IP.

Good point. I was just looking at Baltimore’s team stats...trying to find any semblance of hope for saves lol. I’m just staying away from that pen as a whole lol. 

43 minutes ago, crookedmacs said:

I think Branden Kline is better than all of them

I was going to say that Kline "looks" like a closer but that is subjective as hell

any orioles fans in here that can help shed light on their bullpen pecking order?  and yes, I know none are ideal, but in blood thirsty saves leagues of 16+ teams, every closer needs to be owned.  

edit: digging a little deeper, it looks like kline was a closer last year in AA and A for baltimore, tallying 17 saves and 71:18 K:BB ratio in 65 IP.   maybe he's the guy?

Edited by swingbatter

also found this interesting quote -- yes, the manager never says "our closer sucks, he's done" so realize this is partially coach-speak, but it does also seem like givens' demotion is temporary:

Manager Brandon Hyde said he plans to ease Givens back into high-leverage situations when the right-hander is available next, likely later this week against the Tigers. Hyde cited the seventh inning and games Baltimore is trailing as potential situations to next use Givens, whom they hope can reclaim closing duties at some point in the near future.

“We need him, bad,” Hyde said. “We need the real Mychal Givens.”

“You’ll see whoever,” Hyde said. “We’ll figure it out. We need to get [Givens] back on track.”

What’s more clear is how Givens’ struggles have thrown one of the most combustible relief units in baseball even more into flux.

“Up until just recently, I’ve said all along, I just wanted to get the ball to [Givens] late in the game, and take our chances,” Hyde said. “We just [need] to try to get him some confidence back, to where he needs it and wants it.”

Orioles manager Brandon Hyde said Monday that Mychal Givens will work in lower-leverage situations for a while.

Givens has struggled mightily over his last four appearances and took his third blown save of the season on Sunday afternoon against the Rockies. He holds a 5.56 ERA and 1.50 WHIP in 22 2/3 total innings. As to who might get the next save opportunity for Baltimore, Hyde said, "Whoever -- we’ll figure it out." Richard Bleier, Paul Fry, Miguel Castro, and Shawn Armstrong could all be in the mix.

LOL, even the O's manager basically admits there really isn't anyone to close on his team.

19 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

LOL, even the O's manager basically admits there really isn't anyone to close on his team.

Or he doesn’t care and he’s only there for a paycheck. 

But yea, funny and sad

Edited by Fantasy_Goat

Potential moment of truth in Baltimore. Or they can stick with Straily who has actually been pitching decent for 4 innings in relief.  Check that, Straily in it for the 9th. Of course 

Edited by crookedmacs

8 minutes ago, crookedmacs said:

Potential moment of truth in Baltimore. Or they can stick with Straily who has actually been pitching decent for 4 innings in relief 

Straily? He has one relief appearance this year, and it was on April 7.

edit: unless he’s pitching in relief today. Haven’t looked at the box. 

Edited by Flyman75

Straily out. Armstrong in. Man on 1st. Armstrong proceeds to walk the next batter. 

Edited by crookedmacs

I'm shuddering looking at these Orioles relievers. Who are these guys? Thoughts and prayers go out to any of you chasing saves in this 'pen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, urban2014 said:

Eh I mean his ERA is bad

Not saying he's awesome, but his ERA was a bit inflated from getting smoked in a few innings while with Seattle

Just now, meh2 said:

I'm shuddering looking at these Orioles relievers. Who are these guys? Thoughts and prayers go out to any of you chasing saves in this 'pen.

Thank u for the prayers. Me and my AL-Only brothers and sisters have to go through dumpsters sometimes 

• Like 1

Armstrong is not worth an add imo. Awful pitcher, unlikely to get more opportunities.

Jesus, imagine actually speculating on Baltimore's closer situation. You have to think that any of you looking to fill a roster spot would be better off just getting a half decent reliever that isn't closing (for the other 3 categories they contribute in), or a different position entirely.

• Like 2

Osuna not looking terribly good lately.  Giving up runs his last couple outings and at it again today.

3-run lead, gives up 2HRs in his first 5 pitches.

Is Walden the new fav for red Sox closer? His stats this year are pretty insane guy has more wins the runs given up

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Yep, this is a situation to avoid. In fact, if Givens is dropped in your league, I would suggest picking him up instead of speculating on relievers, parking him on your bench, and seeing if he can get "right" and reclaim the job. If anyone recalls, he was pretty terrible to start the season too, and then went on a nice streak there for awhile. He's a headcase, no doubt, but when he is on he can be a very solid pitcher.

It's like pissing in the wind trying to choose an O's pitcher to roster. I would rather speculate on potential CL in waiting (trade deadline).

• Like 1

Leclerc does look nasty, for what it's worth. *knocks on wood*

Edited by nlm