oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

And that's the last time you'll see Brasier close a game out this season. Awful.

• Like 1

I just don’t get what has happened to braiser. He went from being awesome to absolute garbage in the span of a month.

On 5/25/2019 at 9:32 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Two for one night in Houston.  Both Osuma and Barnes blow it.

Why are you only commenting when Barnes has a bad game? 

wink wink. 

Cora needs to start using his best rp Barnes in the 9th, Brasier got crushed by the bottom of the order.

8 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Gotta figure Craig 

Dont forget about Castillo

Just now, rahuLL said:

is Luke Jackson the guy to own in ATL?

I would say he is until the draft. I believe ATL is in the driver seat right now to sign Kimbrel. 

What’s everyone’s opinion in Pedro Strop, does Maddon use a committee or does Strop become the guy? Strop was solid this season until his blow up/injury game.

9 hours ago, street sharks said:

If Yates gets moved who slides into the closer role for SD?

Seems silly to me to speculate about this. They're a game out of the wildcard, not at full strength and the coffers are full with minor leaguers to allow them to be buyers at the trade deadline. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MaeDay said:

What’s everyone’s opinion in Pedro Strop, does Maddon use a committee or does Strop become the guy? Strop was solid this season until his blow up/injury game.

I think Cishek's recent implosion helps Strop move right back into the job, so long as Strop gets back soon like he's supposed to.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

He blew 1 game

2 actually. He blew his first chance after Strop went down as well as his most recent chance.

I think Cishek really needed to be lights out to steal the job. Not necessarily because he's a lefty (reverse splits), but obviously the manager already liked Strop over Cishek in the role at the beginning of the season.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, street sharks said:

If Yates gets moved who slides into the closer role for SD?

Why would he get moved this year? They didn't call up Tatis on OD to take it easy this year.

Don't you mean "if Yates gets hurt". Which it would probably be Stammen.

Its worth discussing because he's a pitcher and could get hurt at anytime. While SD has been a goldmine for saves this year. 

Edited by Slatykamora

You LeClerc owners are having an "interesting" season so far, aren't you.

Jose Leclerc will serve as the Rangers' opener on Wednesday versus the Mariners.

Leclerc will probably go an inning or two before giving way to Drew Smyly, who should handle the bulk of the game. Leclerc has pitched far better in May than he did in April, but Rangers manager Chris Woodward continues to use him in a variety of different spots -- none of which involve the ninth inning. Shawn Kelley has been getting the bulk of save opportunities for Texas.

Source: Jeff Wilson on Twitter                             May 29, 2019, 8:56 AM ET

• Like 1

Robles two straight appearances without a K.    Anyone else concerned?

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

I never felt good about him to begin with. He's JAG with the job.

• Like 1

Is Treinen ok? I mean he looks ok but I am getting such low ball offers for him this week, I feel like I am missing something

7 minutes ago, redlegsfan said:

Is Treinen ok? I mean he looks ok but I am getting such low ball offers for him this week, I feel like I am missing something

I said it a bunch in the April thread and a bit in the May thread, but he's not looking right this year. I don't think there are any notable injury concerns, but right now I would rank him much lower than I did coming into the season. His control just isn't there yet. I'm guessing people are trying to buy low based off his actual performance this year and expecting him to rebound to last year's levels.

Still, he's the clear closer in Oakland and that isn't changing barring injury or an epic, prolonged meltdown. That has value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, B&F said:

2 hours ago, fletch44 said:

I never felt good about him to begin with. He's JAG with the job.

I benched and of course gets the save. Shouldn't have even been a save opp actually. Soria got screwed by the ump on a strike 3 call that would have ended the inning in a tie game. It was a very easy strike call (batter didn't swing) over the heart and the catcher somehow dropped it. The ump even a started to raise his hand to ring him up and then stopped!! bizarre.

Not that Adam Morgan was ever going to be much of a consideration 9th inning duty, but this list of dead homies from the Phillies bullpen is something else:

Vince Velasquez as second in line is a serious possibility at this point.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, B&F said:

Why?  Sometimes pitchers don't strike people out in an inning.  It even happens to the elite ones occasionally.  While he hasn't been sharp in either outing (first one being awful of course, and then last night he walked a batter and threw 9 of his 20 pitches for balls), it's not like he went out there and blew two saves in a row.  He still got the save last night without giving up anything besides that walk, so I'm not quite sure why there would be a red flag.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I think Cishek really needed to be lights out to steal the job. Not necessarily because he's a lefty...

Steve Cishek is right-handed.

• Thanks 1

Elias in the 8th. 2 inning save coming?