oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Recommended Posts

Just now, Sprayy said:

Why's alvarado in the 8th?

 

Old news. He comes in during the 7th, 8th and 9th depending on matchups.

He is erratic tonight, and lately. SCARY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

If the Giants trade Smith, what's stopping them from dealing Melancon, Watson, Dyson as well?  Sure they won't get much for them, but lower level products will help the Giants. I'm thinking Moronta is eventually the guy.

 

Watson is likely to be dealt. And a gigantic contract is keeping them from dealing Melancon. Nobody is going to take him on unless they take on the majority of what he is still owed. They won't be able to move him. I just see him as a very likely candidate to close, even if it's only for a short-time (i.e. he implodes right away). For what it's worth, his numbers are pretty solid this year. They're not going anywhere this season, and I doubt he is either. So he is someone to keep an eye on at least.

Edited by nlm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

 

Old news. He comes in during the 7th, 8th and 9th depending on matchups.

He is erratic tonight, and lately. SCARY

 

Looks like AJ Minter out there tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kennedy had a chance to take a hold of the closer job, but some awful luck may have cost him.  His BAIP is crazy at .391 right now.  His FIP is 2.57, all indicators are good.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Sadzeck is the guy, best arm they have.

 

His lack of control is a huge issue for me...24 walks in 31.2 career MLB innings. He's walked 9 in his last 6 games (7.2 innings). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

His lack of control is a huge issue for me...24 walks in 31.2 career MLB innings. He's walked 9 in his last 6 games (7.2 innings). 

Yeah, that is one of the first things that popped out at me when looking over his numbers. Does not bode well for a closer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Armstrong the new closer in Baltimore. Maybe only a handful of saves but they all count

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Armstrong the new closer in Baltimore. Maybe only a handful of saves but they all count

Only concern would be his iffy command seems to be back this season, unlike last season when he was great in AAA and when he got called up late in the season.

Still, his stats look worse than they should since he had two really bad appearances in only a handful of ones with Seattle, but has been fairly solid for Baltimore (aside from a bad game in Coors).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep an eye on Austin Adams in Seattle .  He’s struck out 16 over 8.2 and is beginning to pitch later into games.  They traded for him earlier this month from Washington (lol) so he’s likely not going anywhere.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Keep an eye on Austin Adams in Seattle .  He’s struck out 16 over 8.2 and is beginning to pitch later into games.  They traded for him earlier this month from Washington (lol) so he’s likely not going anywhere.

 

What is it with Seattle and generous relief pitchers? Adams allowed 213 free passes in 336 career minor league numbers, and he’s allowed 15 in 14.2 MLB innings. He’s only walker two in his short time with Seattle, but it feels like a matter of just waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

 

What is it with Seattle and generous relief pitchers? Adams allowed 213 free passes in 336 career minor league numbers, and he’s allowed 15 in 14.2 MLB innings. He’s only walker two in his short time with Seattle, but it feels like a matter of just waiting for the other shoe to drop. 

Seattle is going nowhere so they’re taking fliers on big arms with command issues.  Sometimes you can tweak some mechanics and help them find better results, while still having the stuff to knock batters out.  A lot of the times they’re failed projects.  But I’d rather see a rebuilding club taking fliers on talented arms vs guys who can’t miss sticks and survive off pitch and pray.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing on Diaz's meltdown?  He doesn't seem to be the same pitcher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, B&F said:

Nothing on Diaz's meltdown?  He doesn't seem to be the same pitcher.

He sure wasn’t last night. Had absolutely nothing from the outset. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian Kennedy was impressive tonight, think he starts to lock down this job in the next few weeks.  His underlying stats have been good all year, the results should follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Ian Kennedy was impressive tonight, think he starts to lock down this job in the next few weeks.  His underlying stats have been good all year, the results should follow.

Not looking to argue, but he's giving up a ton of hits.  Some of his stats look ok, but his BAA is right around .300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Not looking to argue, but he's giving up a ton of hits.  Some of his stats look ok, but his BAA is right around .300.

True, but that .300 BAA has been driven by some poor luck.  His career BABIP is .287, for this season it's .391.  I expect that to normalize over the next few weeks.  He has good K/9 numbers, isn't waking a bunch of people or given up a ton of HRs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 11:10 PM, street sharks said:

If Yates gets moved who slides into the closer role for SD?

Looks like the white Sox are about to sell Colome to a contender.  First off who is the immediate add? And secondly could he move I to a setup role after departure? Might be a good time to be selling. 

Edited by Baseball Or Bust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Looks like the white Sox are about to sell Colome to a contender.  First off who is the immediate add? And secondly could he move I to a setup role after departure? Might be a good time to be selling. 

 

I don't think I'd touch that bullpen outside of Colome. Everyone has Herrera as next in line, but he has had an epic May in terms of failure...14 ER and 23 baserunners in 7.1 innings, runs allowed in 6 of 9 appearances, multiple runs allowed four times. 

His April numbers look pretty nice, but the fact is that this slide of his started in April, allowing 3 ER and 9 baserunners in his final 5.1 innings in April (5 games). So in his last 14 appearances, he's thrown 12.2 innings of 12.08 ERA, 2.53 WHIP with 10 walks and 4 HRs. Either he took up residence in Suckville real suddenly or there is an injury he's trying to pitch through. 

Past him, Minaya and Bummer have put up the best numbers, but SSS on both. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I guess Armstrong's not the closer in Baltimore?

Two out of the three hitters due up in the 9th were lefties.  Although the stupid thing there is Armstrong has been an extreme reverse splits guy so far.

Kind of stings to see a guy who has been awful for them so far this season get the save rather than Armstrong when they hardly get any saves to begin with.  I know it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but it still sucks a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.