oswald737

2019 May Closer Thread

Feel like iglesias’s days as closer are dwindling.  Maybe they move Stephenson into that role at some point.

Also feel like the Mariners make a move in the future.  Swarzak is up and down and Elias is awol.  Brennan or Sadzech could see some saves before summer starts.

1 hour ago, cyberer said:

Lol, that’s a horrible headline for that writer

He covers himself in the article though

if they are looking at Kimbrel, it definitely isn’t because of Diaz, I think those might be the only 2 runs he’s given up the whole year.

its because of Familia

2 minutes ago, Donniebaseball23 said:

Lol, that’s a horrible headline for that writer

He covers himself in the article though

if they are looking at Kimbrel, it definitely isn’t because of Diaz, I think those might be the only 2 runs he’s given up the whole year.

its because of Familia

Is Kimbrel going to go somewhere he won’t have the closers gig out of the gate? Is Diaz going to accept a setup role? Mets seem unlikely imo.

Kimbrel has been linked to the Mets for a few weeks now.  At that time, he would have had to willing to be in  “any role”

8 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

The issue with Martin is he seems to be a ticking time bomb.  His ratios look ok on the surface, but he puts on way too many baserunners and has already given up 3 HRs.  Even tonight, he put two runners on while striking out the side.  All that on top of career numbers that are downright awful, and the Texas situation is an easy pass for me.

People said the said things about Greg Holland prior to the start of the year.  A lot depends on your specific league context obviously, but in most leagues, all closers are worth owning.  It really would not be possible for Martin to be any worse than Jose LeClerc was.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cyberer said:

I called this a few days back - toussaint to close- and it may end up happening

Braves recalled RHP Touki Toussaint from Triple-A Gwinnett.

It looks like the Braves are bringing Toussaint back up to help the bullpen for now. The young right-hander was excellent in a long relief outing and awful in a start in his two appearances in the majors this season.

I think they called up Touki because they knew Gausman would get tossed for throwing at Urena.

1 hour ago, FootballFan101 said:

People said the said things about Greg Holland prior to the start of the year.  A lot depends on your specific league context obviously, but in most leagues, all closers are worth owning.  It really would not be possible for Martin to be any worse than Jose LeClerc was.

True on everything you said, but unless it's a league where you pretty much have to own every closer, sometimes it's not worth owning ones that will kill your ratios.  Not saying Martin will for sure as it's been hard to predict much so far this season, but obviously the potential is there, so passing on him isn't crazy in some circumstances.

7 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

True on everything you said, but unless it's a league where you pretty much have to own every closer, sometimes it's not worth owning ones that will kill your ratios.  Not saying Martin will for sure as it's been hard to predict much so far this season, but obviously the potential is there, so passing on him isn't crazy in some circumstances.

He’s been pitching better of late. We’ll just see if he can keep it going or improve. 

3 hours ago, FootballFan101 said:

Holland has a history of being a great closer though. Martin has a career 5 era, and his underlying numbers indicate likely more of the same this year

6 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Feel like iglesias’s days as closer are dwindling.  Maybe they move Stephenson into that role at some point.

Also feel like the Mariners make a move in the future.  Swarzak is up and down and Elias is awol.  Brennan or Sadzech could see some saves before summer starts.

That is just wonderful! Help Stephenson for 2.5 weeks, dropped everywhere 2 days ago, for Barnes who was dropped

I have watched a lot of Reds games, he could easily take this and run.Iglesies seems to just get to cute sometimes instead of attacking, I may be wrong, I am sometimes

3 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Why are most talking like it is Martin over Kelley?

I honestly think Leclerc is back up sooner rather than later but still, I thought Kelley was the guy to own?

I think LeClerc will close again as soon (or if) he gets his act back together.  The Rangers just extended him this off season to be their closer.  

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think LeClerc will close again as soon (or if) he gets his act back together.  The Rangers just extended him this off season to be their closer.  

Yeah, I don’t get all the debate over Martin v Kelley. One or two clean outings from LeClerc and he’ll be right back in there, imo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yeah, I don’t get all the debate over Martin v Kelley. One or two clean outings from LeClerc and he’ll be right back in there, imo.

He will. All the talk around here on sports radio is that Leclerc will definitely get the job back if and when he gets back on track. Woodward has pretty much said as much.  And he will. From a distance it may not seem like it but he’s a good pitcher. He’s got filthy stuff and he’s considered a building block on a rebuilding team and he’ll be given every chance to take the role

Edited by DFWSooner
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I think they called up Touki because they knew Gausman would get tossed for throwing at Urena.

LOL.  Well that could be, hah.  Because Touki's most recent visit to the Bigs was short lived.  So much for the theory some suggested here that he was brought up this time to close.

Braves optioned RHP Touki Toussaint to Triple-A Gwinnett.

His most recent stint with the Braves lasted just one day. He pitched four innings of one-run relief on Friday night and was rewarded with a win over the Marlins. The team is in need of another fresh arm so Toussaint will head back to the farm to make room for Sean Newcomb. The 22-year-old Toussaint has a bright future but he's going to have to wait a bit longer for an other opportunity to arise.

May 4, 2019, 2:59 PM ET

The Braves saw someone in their bullpen who could get outs and panicked.  They had to promptly send him down for someone who will walk dozens of batters and have an era of 9.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Because sometimes the 1 or 2 or 3 saves one of them might get if we guess right can make a difference if the saves cat is close. Or guessing right can yield more saves if Leclerq doesn’t get right...or if he needs an IL stint to get right. In leagues where saves are precious and everybody has closers sucking butt or has a bunch of committee guys, you pounce on anyone who might get saves. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Elias in the 7th

This may be a bullpen to stay away from for a bit

4 minutes ago, Whizzinator said:

Was Brennan only one warming?  Would be interesting if so 

Elias and sadzeck had already pitched

Edited by ASHLANDARROWS1992

Jeffress going to finally get a save chance tonight? Currently up 2-1 in the 8th and the fat guy just threw the 7th with Guerra going in the 8th. 

Darth Hader had a 2 inning yesterday.