Sign in to follow this  
cyberer

Jon Berti 2019 Outlook

This guy has been getting significant PT for the marlins since his callup. He's a career minor leaguer with an altuve-like build, though his contact rate isn't anything close to altuve. He has a ton of speed (rated as one of the fastest players in marlins camp) and has only martin prado to beat out for PT, which it seems he is doing. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-sp-marlins-nationals-separate-sun-20190421-story.html

Deep league Steals sleeper gaining some recognition 

On base three times in win
May 2, 2019
Berti got the start at third base and hit seventh Wednesday, going 2-for-3 with a walk and a run scored in a win over Cleveland.
ANALYSIS
The 29-year-old minor-league veteran has been getting regular playing time lately with Neil Walker (hamstring) and Garrett Cooper (hand) both banged up, and Berti has started to find his footing in the majors, going 5-for-16 with two walks over the last five games. He could become a base-stealing threat down the road -- he swiped 30 bags on 40 attempts across three levels last year -- but for now his fantasy value is limited.
  • Thanks 1

Rebuilding team has 30 year old virgins taking up roster spots.  This team is a dumpster fire.  

Still hitting leadoff, still getting on base at a good clip. Now hitting homeruns and stealing bases. He’s been a sneaky steal for my deep league MI #csb.

he clearly learned approach, if nothing else, during his decade in the minors 

I'm intrigued, but I don't know if he'll run enough to matter. That seems to be his only real asset. 

2 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

This guy might do some things ROS. Depending on how long Rojas stays out. 

What's Rojas' timeline like?

I'd love to have the room to grab Berti right now, honestly. Speed is so scarce and he doesn't seem to be sacrificing much for it.

2 hours ago, Macgregor said:

What's Rojas' timeline like?

I'd love to have the room to grab Berti right now, honestly. Speed is so scarce and he doesn't seem to be sacrificing much for it.

No word yet on the severity of the hamstring strain. He looked like he was in a lot of pain tho. I think he'll be gone at least a month. 

• Thanks 1

Over the last month, Berti has hit 4 hr, stolen 7 bases, and scored 23 runs with a .286 avg. He’s been a nice pickup. 

• Like 1

This dude has been a beast in the last couple weeks. I think he may have affected a lot of roto leagues last night with 4 SBs.

• Like 1