BrianM

Mike Williams 2019 Outlook

They don't use him in the RZ. He's simply a deep threat in this offense, which is stupid. I don't think he's great or anything (his hands are very questionable IMO), but he's on the field so they should use for more than one trick. His scouting report is probably 1 paragraph for the defenses he faces.

3 minutes ago, TrigPyramid said:

Seems like he has a 50 yard catch every week and is one of the best high point catchers in the league. How he doesn’t have a TD this season is beyond me

when you only get 3-5 targets a week.... ?

5 minutes ago, boredster said:

when you only get 3-5 targets a week.... ?

That’s the problem. He could out jump anyone in the end zone and isn’t getting a chance. He had 10 TDs last year on less targets. It’s baffling.

2 minutes ago, TrigPyramid said:

That’s the problem. He could out jump anyone in the end zone and isn’t getting a chance. He had 10 TDs last year on less targets. It’s baffling.

Rivers only has goggle eyes for Allen.  

2 hours ago, MKO3090 said:

They don't use him in the RZ. He's simply a deep threat in this offense, which is stupid. I don't think he's great or anything (his hands are very questionable IMO), but he's on the field so they should use for more than one trick. His scouting report is probably 1 paragraph for the defenses he faces.

Just curious why you think he has questionable hands. I don’t know anything about him other than this year, and it seems like every game he’s making a great catch.

I don’t know if it’s the types of balls Rivers throws him or him just not getting separation, but he’s not going to last long having to lay out for damn near every catch he makes each game.

Mike Williams is a stud. If he was used with more variance or didn’t have a brainless, noodle-arm QB (clear over reaction but COME ON PHIL), he’d be an every week WR3. He will get his in due time if he stays healthy. Unfortunately he’s a WR4 flier this year because all of the targets and air yards were never cashed in and now they’re trending down a bit. 

4 minutes ago, BRIGUY11 said:

I tried

You were one throw to the 6’4” guy instead of the 5’9” guy away...

2 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

He would be a WR2 on a different team that’s not the Chargers!

Fify. Rivers is done.

• Like 3

Same as Brady, Rivers arm is done. Can't throw it deep, thus renders Williams useless. Not sure how I could see this is how Williams season would go but couldn't realize the same thing would happen to Josh Gordon, smh.

Would love to see him with one of the young guns once his contract runs out. He would look great with a QB like Kyler Murray or Josh Allen, and both teams are in dire need of a tall boundary WR and RZ threat.

• Like 1

Three pass plays the Chargers have.

Ekeler dumpoff.

Allen short.

Williams deep.

Wililams is leading the league in YPC (among players that qualify) with 20 YPC. All he gets are the circus catch contested deep ball throws. It such a joke because those are low percentage plays to begin with.

2nd & 8 at LAC 27 (9:08 - 2nd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep left to M.Williams (C.Ward).

3rd & 2 at LAC 33 (7:23 - 2nd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass deep left to M.Williams to KC 41 for 26 yards (D.Sorensen).

1st & 10 at LAC 25 (4:56 - 3rd) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep right to M.Williams. PENALTY on KC-M.Claiborne, Defensive Pass Interference, 25 yards, enforced at LAC 25 - No Play.

1st & 10 at LAC 17 (4:30 - 4th) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete deep left to M.Williams.

2nd & 10 at LAC 30 (0:55 - 4th) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass incomplete short middle to M.Williams (C.Jones).

3rd & 15 at LAC 25 (0:52 - 4th) (Shotgun) P.Rivers pass deep left to M.Williams pushed ob at KC 25 for 50 yards (R.Fenton).

Rivers fetish for Allen is of the school yard variety, where he seems to force it to his "best buddy" just because.

1st INT - tough luck, more fumble than INT.  Looks like he was trying to go for Allen.

2nd INT - he forces it to Allen so hard the defense didn't cover Ekeler underneath OR Mike Williams doing a deep out route.

Dropped INT  - Mike Williams is wide open by about 5 yards and Rivers launches a wounded duck that never gets there.

3rd INT - Rivers decides to force it to **looks it up** Andre Patton. An undrafted 25 year old rookie who has 2 career catches. Yes, clearly the guy who want to go to in this critical moment to make a big play.  Ekeler open again underneath and Williams can be seen at the top of the screen running down the sideline 1 on 1 with what looks like a lead on the CB. Ignored of course.

4th INT - Mike Williams moves them half the field on 3rd and long to give them a chance.  Rivers turns back to smurf ball and tries to jump ball it to the smallest offensive player out there.  Mike Williams jogs in the middle of the field, ignored as always, watching the disaster.

10 minutes ago, herschel said:

i just cant afford to hold during the bye week....good luck to those that can.

Yeah he's a goner. I don't think it's worth it at this point for anyone to hold him even if they can, would you ever feel comfortable starting him after the numbers he's put up this season. Maybe he'll have one good game down the stretch, but will you be putting him in your line up to find out? 

There's been so many prime opportunities and they couldn't take advantage of any of them (e.g. Allen out for a few games, easy match ups, etc.) - it hasn't mattered. 

Edited by trolltoll

1 minute ago, trolltoll said:

Don't think it's worth it at this point, would you ever feel comfortable starting him after the numbers he's put up this season? I think it's safe to drop. Maybe he'll have one good game down the stretch, but will you be putting him in your line up to find out? 

There's been so many prime opportunities and they couldn't take advantage of any of them (e.g. Allen out for a few games, easy match ups, etc.) - it hasn't mattered. 

yes, this.  i guess maybe if somehow allen and henry collided and both were to miss extended time, then he could be startable, but other than that, his blow up would more than likely be on my bench....

Officially dropped him this morning. He's been the last guy on my bench for weeks now. With K. Allen, H. Henry, Ekeler, Gordon, that leaves Williams number 5 in the pecking order and he doesn't even get red zone looks like last year. 

Best of luck in your future endeavors, Mike. 

13 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Regression to the mean. Guy is slightly above average at best

What’s crazy is that he was often cited by the Saints DB’s has being an outstanding WR. They have had joint practices for years. 

He was unguardable. Rivers has become captain check down. 

13 hours ago, lolcopter said:

Regression to the mean. Guy is slightly above average at best

Dude it's just not true. 

You saw his QB. Rivers is washed. 

Put this dude on hell the Cardinals = WR1.

22 hours ago, nb009 said:

Just curious why you think he has questionable hands.

Earlier in the season, the few times he was actually thrown crosses (Broncos game), he would drop routine passes. Not super often, but noticeable. And even on the deep catches, it's never only a question of if it was an accurate throw. It's also a question of if he will hold onto it. You saw that early in the last game on his first target. And it happened on his best TD chance this season against the Packers. 

I may be a little harsh. He does can/does make an assortment of contested catches. But, to me, it feels like the percentages are 50/50 if he will hold onto the ball. I expect to feel more confident when a WR with good hands has an accurate ball hit him.

Edited by MKO3090
  • Like 1