Gile Pile

Bold Predictions for the 2019-2020 Season

4 hours ago, Pyschout said:

Is it bold to say the Clippers will win 60 games next year?  62?  65?

I’d say 65 is a definitely a bold prediction because the raptors won 58 last season with Kawhi’s rest days.  I think the average for teams who finish 1st overall is around 62.  I was choosing their over/under I’d put it at 60 and lean toward under.  

• Like 2

Christmas Day games:

Lakers vs Clippers

Pelicans vs Knicks

Bucks vs Toronto

Heat vs. Philly

if one of those don’t happen, I substitute. 

Thunder vs Trailblazers

7 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

WCF: Clippers vs Jazz.  Jazz will be NBA champions

I like it. Kawhi gets outmatches by Conley.

9 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

WCF: Clippers vs Jazz.  Jazz will be NBA champions

I don't think this unrealistic at all.  Why does everyone insist on comparing each team's best two players against the other team's best two players...completely ignoring depth and defense.  Look beyond the names and the hype.  Look at real stats: RPM/DPRM/ etc.  Maybe people don't those reliable.  So look at team defense and team offense.  Really try to be objective.  One will find that the Jazz are right up there among the top few teams.  I can't predict what will happen, nor can anyone, but I can identify who has a legit chance and who doesn't.

9 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

I don't think this unrealistic at all.  Why does everyone insist on comparing each team's best two players against the other team's best two players...completely ignoring depth and defense.  Look beyond the names and the hype.  Look at real stats: RPM/DPRM/ etc.  Maybe people don't those reliable.  So look at team defense and team offense.  Really try to be objective.  One will find that the Jazz are right up there among the top few teams.  I can't predict what will happen, nor can anyone, but I can identify who has a legit chance and who doesn't.

What have the Jazz done to help them get past the Rockets?  The problem still remains: stop Harden in isolation

Just now, jay14bay said:

What have the Jazz done to help them get past the Rockets?  The problem still remains: stop Harden in isolation

Their defense was good against the Rockets.  They simply couldn't score enough.  Mitchell was their only scorer.  Adding Conley doesn't merely double the scorers they have in their backcourt, it means the defense can't double team Mitchell.  Hopefully there's some synergy there.  They have the best defense in the league (probably) or at worst top 3.  Then you add a couple shooters/scorers.  Tons of teams (Pistons, Spurs, most recently Raptors etc) have a title with great team defense plus good enough offense.

Meanwhile, CP3 is a year older, the Rockets have no depth, and their chemistry will be even worse due to trade rumors. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Because objectively I’m looking at what a Kawhi has done individually and Paul George has done individually and you bring them together with a decent coach with championship pedigree and key bench players and I say “Okay, they have a very stout team” then I look at the Jazz who pretty much have the same core (Mitchell, Ingles, Gobert) and we have seen that rodeo. Besides Ingles, playoff defensive lapses, Mitchell shoots himself out the game and Gobert is mainly obsolete. I don’t see how Conley changes that culture or how Quinn Snyder improves.

3 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

Their defense was good against the Rockets.  They simply couldn't score enough.  Mitchell was their only scorer.  Adding Conley doesn't merely double the scorers they have in their backcourt, it means the defense can't double team Mitchell.  Hopefully there's some synergy there.  They have the best defense in the league (probably) or at worst top 3.  Then you add a couple shooters/scorers.  Tons of teams (Pistons, Spurs, most recently Raptors etc) have a title with great team defense plus good enough offense.

Meanwhile, CP3 is a year older, the Rockets have no depth, and their chemistry will be even worse due to trade rumors. 

OK I agree with you they should be better on offense.  Their O was incredibly stagnant and more shooting/spacing will be big improvement. Conley is a very good player.

But as far as the defense goes, yes they were (and will be) a great defense all regular season but that broke down in a playoff setting.  I haven't looked at numbers to back this, but I don't think a sign of good defense is having to choose giving Harden a wide open lane to the basket as the lesser of two evils. Rubio was also the main matador in this scheme. If they play him more traditionally (like the dubs did, and won) who does it now?  Conley is too small and Bogdanovic is too slow. I don't recall how Ingles did on him.

10 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Because objectively I’m looking at what a Kawhi has done individually and Paul George has done individually and you bring them together with a decent coach with championship pedigree and key bench players and I say “Okay, they have a very stout team” then I look at the Jazz who pretty much have the same core (Mitchell, Ingles, Gobert) and we have seen that rodeo. Besides Ingles, playoff defensive lapses, Mitchell shoots himself out the game and Gobert is mainly obsolete. I don’t see how Conley changes that culture or how Quinn Snyder improves.

For one.  I never said the clippers wouldn’t win and the Jazz would.  I don’t even view things in that way.  I’d look at the top 3-4 teams from each conferences and from there it comes down to health.  Both the jazz and the clippers could fit into that bill.  

Two, you’re grossly underestimating Conley if don’t think he’s a difference maker.

Three, I don’t look at one team’s best individual players and compare them to the other team’s best individual players. I look at team defense, dprm, rpm, etc. The Jazz have a top tier defense but offense was their weakness.  They added a top tier floor general.  It remains to be seen what will happen but I’d at least put them in the discussion.  Many teams similarly constituted have won a title eg the Sheed Pistons.  

13 minutes ago, jay14bay said:

OK I agree with you they should be better on offense.  Their O was incredibly stagnant and more shooting/spacing will be big improvement. Conley is a very good player.

But as far as the defense goes, yes they were (and will be) a great defense all regular season but that broke down in a playoff setting.  I haven't looked at numbers to back this, but I don't think a sign of good defense is having to choose giving Harden a wide open lane to the basket as the lesser of two evils. Rubio was also the main matador in this scheme. If they play him more traditionally (like the dubs did, and won) who does it now?  Conley is too small and Bogdanovic is too slow. I don't recall how Ingles did on him.

They don’t need to shut him down.  No one does.  Just keep him from scoring 40 then hope you have enough offense to outscore the rest of the Rockets.  Previously this was impossible due to the Jazz only having Mitchell on offense.  Now with Conley and Mitchell playing off each other it’s a possibility.  Not to mention people haven’t even brought up Bojan who is much better than replacement level. 

12 minutes ago, StifleTower2 said:

For one.  I never said the clippers wouldn’t win and the Jazz would.  I don’t even view things in that way.  I’d look at the top 3-4 teams from each conferences and from there it comes down to health.  Both the jazz and the clippers could fit into that bill.  

Two, you’re grossly underestimating Conley if don’t think he’s a difference maker.

Three, I don’t look at one team’s best individual players and compare them to the other team’s best individual players. I look at team defense, dprm, rpm, etc. The Jazz have a top tier defense but offense was their weakness.  They added a top tier floor general.  It remains to be seen what will happen but I’d at least put them in the discussion.  Many teams similarly constituted have won a title eg the Sheed Pistons.  

I didn’t say one would win or one would lose either. I just find it hard to trust a team and a coach who they thought the game plan was to allow Harden to “openly” go Right and play him from behind!  Whether it’s Rubio or whether it’s Conley, it’s the same coach. That was a down right dumb move, and again you admit during the season defense was great, but come playoff time, their defense suffered, drastically. 

4 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

I didn’t say one would win or one would lose either. I just find it hard to trust a team and a coach who they thought the game plan was to allow Harden to “openly” go Right and play him from behind!  Whether it’s Rubio or whether it’s Conley, it’s the same coach. That was a down right dumb move, and again you admit during the season defense was great, but come playoff time, their defense suffered, drastically. 

Let me just put it this way.  I don't think the Jazz are as good as the Clippers or Rockets.  Maybe not the Lakers, or Bucks.  But the Jazz are 17:1.  I'm pretty sure that's a good bet.  I would put them more like 8:1  

Edited by StifleTower2

On 7/7/2019 at 6:15 PM, StifleTower2 said:

Let me just put it this way.  I don't think the Jazz are as good as the Clippers or Rockets.  Maybe not the Lakers, or Bucks.  But the Jazz are 17:1.  I'm pretty sure that's a good bet.  I would put them more like 8:1  

I think the Jazz are better than the Rockets with Harden and RWB...I mean how on Earth is that going to work? They are going to be fighting each other for rebounds, assists and possession on a nightly basis. Houston was already a powderkeg of ego, RWB is the Franz Ferdinand spark about to light that $hit up! The Jazz are a team now, and Conley is going to make Gobert and Mitchell (among others) so much better, and Bojan is a GREAT fit with this team!! 

This is my west ranks on regular season (Nuggets-Jazz-Warriors-Clippers-Lakers-Blazers-Rockets-Mavs...sorry spurs, which will result in a semi finals of Nugs-Clips & Jazz-Warriors, west final of Clips-Jazz, NBA final 76ers-Clips...champs, my crystal ball stopped working...but since this is bold predictions I have to back my boy Kawhi breaking Embiid's heart again - Clips champs (watch out for Landrey Shamet this season)! kaWHI did you leave Kawhi? (It's still all love here for Kawhi though 😍)

My bold prediction for the year following on from my Pascal shout last season: Aaron Gordon (this one is for you @StifleTower2 - I'm really just trying to prove my crystal ball is not only good on the Dinos!). Azza Gordon FINALLY breaks out fully. Goes for 20/8/4, 1.1 stl, 0.9 blk, 2.2 triples (2.4 TOs) on 48/38/77% shooting. Makes the all-star team (along with Pascal - after his BS snub last year) and drives the magic to a 6th seed (76ers-Bucks-Celtics-Raptors-Pacers-Magic-Pistons-Heat) and a 45-37 record. They beat the Celtics in the first round.

EDIT: Guess I should finish the east predicitons (76ers-Raps & Bucks-Magic; 76ers-Bucks; 76ers).

Edited by Jake the snake
  • Like 4

Here's some: 

1) Jazz win the title!

2) Harden still finishes #1 overall in TOTAL value

3) Pascal Siakam finishes outside top 25.  Lowry finishes ahead of Siakam.

4) MitchRob finishes behind Capela and Turner

5) The following players are all third round value or better (per game basis): Gallo, Otto, Draymond, Lauri, Love.

6) CP3/Gallo/Adams lead OKC to 45 wins.  Not sure if they get the 8th seed, but they finish with a winning record.

7) The following sleepers are all top 75: Jarrett Allen, Jerami Grant, Cody Zeller.  Zeller finishes ahead of at least one of Bam, Wendell, or JJJ.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Here's some: 

1) Jazz win the title!

2) Harden still finishes #1 overall in TOTAL value

3) Pascal Siakam finishes outside top 25.  Lowry finishes ahead of Siakam.

4) MitchRob finishes behind Capela and Turner

5) The following players are all third round value or better (per game basis): Gallo, Otto, Draymond, Lauri, Love.

6) CP3/Gallo/Adams lead OKC to 45 wins.  Not sure if they get the 8th seed, but they finish with a winning record.

7) The following sleepers are all top 75: Jarrett Allen, Jerami Grant, Cody Zeller.  Zeller finishes ahead of at least one of Bam, Wendell, or JJJ.

Only two of them I'd consider bold: Jazz and the title (although this one is actually quite possible) and Love as an avg 3rd rounder.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slmroz said:

Only two of them I'd consider bold: Jazz and the title (although this one is actually quite possible) and Love as an avg 3rd rounder.

Depends on how spicy they need to be to be considered bold.  These might be mild sauce but I think they’re also the minority view. 

3 hours ago, StifleTower2 said:

Depends on how spicy they need to be to be considered bold.  These might be mild sauce but I think they’re also the minority view. 

Give me something spicy, like Dion top 50 spicy

On 5/17/2019 at 6:54 PM, Portis4Potus said:

Yeah but his prediction that Myles Turner will be top 20 is more than bold

He was top 20 most of last year, so it's really just accurate and not bold at all. His usage will only increase not decrease. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2019 at 4:27 AM, Pyschout said:

Is it bold to say the Clippers will win 60 games next year?  62?  65?

In the stacked west!? That's bold. I give them 55 wins mostly due to load management with kawhi. I'd give them 67 games in the east. 

• Like 1

1.) Clippers underachieve greatly. I think  they disappoint everyone and win between 48-50 games.

People forget the Raptors were something like 17-5 without Kawhi. But that was in the East. There's no way the Clippers can replicate that success without him. 

Speaking of which, I think Kawhi has a down year offensively. He's played with real smart, HoF-ish point guards in Toronto and San Antonio who orchestrate the offense. Without that in LAC, I see his numbers and efficiency go down.

2.) Kevin Love is traded sometime this season. My gut says Denver gets him. Makes more sense to me than Portland, from an asset perspective. 

3.) Zion doesn't finish First Team All Rookie.

4.) Hawks make the playoffs