J.T. Marlin

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

https://www.footballdb.com/stats/stats.html?lg=NFL&yr=2019&type=reg&mode=M&conf=&limit=50

Pretty sad, he has almost twice as many as the next RB on the list.

Penny has the pedigree.  People forget how many people wrote off Ingram after his 3 weak years of football.  Penny can turn it around still.  And with Carson's fumbling issue he can start to get his opportunities.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mjb said:

Here's one guy's opinion, for whatever it's worth.

Expert Note

Regardless of the horrible matchup versus the Vikings this week and even regardless of whether Penny actually did steal the job from Chris Carson, he will be start-worthy in Week 13 and perhaps an RB1 come fantasy football playoff time. Carson was ripped from the game plan again after two more fumbles and Penny performed well with 129 yards on 14 carries against a stingy Eagles' front seven. You'd have to think that if he takes over Carson's workload, he'd absolutely smash Rams, Panthers and Cardinals in Weeks 14 through 16.

This guy is totally wrong, he is only viable with a carson injury.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

This guy is totally wrong, he is only viable with a carson injury.

That's interesting.  Cause he was healthy when he took a seat on the bench.

Edited by kdko
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, kdko said:

That's interesting.  Cause he was healthy when he took a seat on the bench.

I mentioned this before.

Penny was in the game 3rd down and short comes up and they put Carson in. Carson runs one play and immediately signals to the sideline to be taken out of the game.

Read into that as you will but “healthy”? Don’t know about that. Pennys best shot is that Carson runs ridiculously reckless.

I’ve held him all year until about 2 weeks ago and then this happens.

I don’t trust Pete Carroll, but I do believe this late in the season, fumbles are the last thing a team needs.

Ill prioritize Snell, but very much intrigued by Penny.

5 hours ago, kidsgotsoul said:

I see that the Carson owners have discovered the Penny thread... whew this has spiraled into useless bickering.

Considering Carson owners have had to deal with Penny owners for two seasons now, it seems fair. 

Edited by oliminator123
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, kdko said:

Fumbling is literally the worst issue a RB can have.

The argument was about whether or not Chris Carson is athletic. Fumbling has nothing to do with a player's athleticism. A worse problem than fumbling is sucking at football i.e. Kalen Ballage.

14 hours ago, Sivaro said:

Penny is all talent and no heart.

Carson had the fire succeed and did.  He will always end up winning at the competition for the starting job because he wants it.  Carson is a violent runner, he will fumble, he will get hurt, but he will hit the holes. IF they decide to use Penny more it is understandable, but at best this turns into a RB committee for Penny.

Carson is not going to go away, nor should he. Penny is what he is, a good back that will never pan out to the 1st round pick Seattle gave up for him.  IMO

See Denver, Lindsey and Freeman.   

Carson is 25 and averages 4.77 yards a touch in his career and 4.60 yards per touch this year.  Very solid no doubt.  Factor in injury and fumble concerns and it's a little less solid.  But Carson is one of the better backs in the league when it comes to not taking negative plays which is his strong suit as a runner.

Penny is 23 and averages 5.64 yards per touch in his career and 6.23 yards per touch this year.  Yes not as consistent as Carson and also so far seems to be injury prone, a smaller sample size than Carson to prove injury prone but also a smaller sample size on touches as well.  But Penny has waaaaay less fumbling issues and chances are has a running style projects to be less injury prone than Carson.

So my point here is, Penny has NOT been a disappointment but more so needs more opportunity to prove himself.  Yes different running styles but at the end of the day the analytics really say Penny would net more points.  Sure you're going to find yourself in more 3rd and long situations throughout the game but that's why you have Russell Wilson and will net more overall yardage with less risk of fumbling.

Everyone who argued to the death that Carson was the man and Penny was worthless are now starting to see what I was saying all along a few weeks back.  Both of these guys are good so there is no reason Chris Carson who has proven to be injury and fumble prone should be getting the lion's share of carries.  Penny will continue to carve out a bigger role in the offense like most 2nd year players have to do.  This is nothing that isn't normal regardless of if you are a 1st round draft pick or not.

Penny would eat if Carson missed a game and he got all the carries, I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Anytime he gets a decent amount of carries he seems to produce. But there is no reason for the coaches to do that. Probably no reason for either guy to get all the carries. They've both flashed, would seem to make the most sense from a real life perspective to use them both and let gameflow dictate who leads the backfield. Obviously sucks from a fantasy perspective. I'm really just holding Penny in case Carson tweaks something and misses a game. I can't see actually starting Penny in the fantasy playoffs with Carson hanging around.

2 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Penny would eat if Carson missed a game and he got all the carries, I don't know why anyone would think otherwise. Anytime he gets a decent amount of carries he seems to produce. But there is no reason for the coaches to do that. Probably no reason for either guy to get all the carries. They've both flashed, would seem to make the most sense from a real life perspective to use them both and let gameflow dictate who leads the backfield. Obviously sucks from a fantasy perspective. I'm really just holding Penny in case Carson tweaks something and misses a game. I can't see actually starting Penny in the fantasy playoffs with Carson hanging around.

Its going to a pain if they're both healthy ( I own both). Rather one of them ran away with it regardless of who it is but looks like we're heading to a frustrating timeshare

1 hour ago, austin316 said:

how much faab is this guy worth spending on?

Non-Carson owner

All of it. Potential league winner.

This is the third or fourth time the coaches have given Carson a pass as the starter after fumbles. It's playoff time and it's not gonna happen again. Carson has 7 fumbles and Penny is now the 'Hawks RB #1. Coach said he will use both this week (sure, but Carson is #2). After what Penny did last week he's the RB#1.

Carson is the better runner and the reality is SEA is likely in the playoffs and theyve been riding him all year. Sure it is possible it could turn i to an even timeshare but I highly highly doubt Carson is flat out benched resulting in Penny being a “league winner”. I think the most likely scenario is Carson lost his workhorse role and Penny earned himself a decent share of the load resulting in both becoming dicey plays.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silkk1211 said:

Carson is the better runner and the reality is SEA is likely in the playoffs and theyve been riding him all year. Sure it is possible it could turn i to an even timeshare but I highly highly doubt Carson is flat out benched resulting in Penny being a “league winner”. I think the most likely scenario is Carson lost his workhorse role and Penny earned himself a decent share of the load resulting in both becoming dicey plays.

True.

Think it might be close to 50/50 split, but can't really imagine a scenario where I'm comfortable starting Penny

Just now, SadFaceHappy said:

True.

Think it might be close to 50/50 split, but can't really imagine a scenario where I'm comfortable starting Penny

Ya there’s no way I would be starting Penny this week. Probably still starting Carson as a RB2/flex play but I wouldn’t hesitate to bench him if I had decent options until I saw how it all played out. I have Carson in 2 out of 4 leagues and I am for sure starting him in one and likely both if TY is out or sounds limited at all. With all that being said, I have high waiver priorities in most leagues and will likey snag Penny in a couple just to see how it all shakes out.

• Like 1

They were saying in August this could be a split and there was enough to go around, but then Carson dominated.

Should be interesting. Wouldn't surprise me if Penny has a game or two with 5 carries or less from here on out. You never know with these things.

2 minutes ago, Silkk1211 said:

Ya there’s no way I would be starting Penny this week. Probably still starting Carson as a RB2/flex play but I wouldn’t hesitate to bench him if I had decent options until I saw how it all played out. I have Carson in 2 out of 4 leagues and I am for sure starting him in one and likely both if TY is out or sounds limited at all. With all that being said, I have high waiver priorities in most leagues and will likey snag Penny in a couple just to see how it all shakes out.

If nothing else, would be good to keep him away from the Carson owner.

And for Carson owners, I think you need to grab him

What is your outlook if you're a carson owner and dont have/cant get Penny?

Do you think we still have a RB2 rest of season?

8 minutes ago, Silkk1211 said:

Carson is not the better runner or pass catcher. Carson's yards per run are less than Penny's. He's a plodder and a fumbler. Penny has way more talent and more juice and shake and bake as a runner and pass catcher. If Penny is on your WW and you don't pick him up, good luck against the Penny owner when he beats you in the FF playoffs! :)

• Haha 1

I don't think anybody has any idea how this plays out and not even sure the Seahawks know.

It could be Carson continuing on as he has been with Penny still getting his 5 touches just like every other time this has started to come up the past couple years.

Or it could be a Packers situation where they split the work.

I highly doubt Carson gets phased out enough though to feel comfortable with Penny as a fantasy starter.  I mean, he's run hard all season....Really has ran hard for the past 2 seasons.  He's still gonna be a factor.

My guess is that at best...Penny becomes Jamal Williams in this timeshare only I'm not sure he'll get the same receiving touches.  A guy that might get 5-10 touches and will need a big play or a little luck to have a good game.  And Carson will still get his 15-20 hard carries and do the dirty work.

• Like 1

Just now, Blazer said:

Carson is not the better runner or pass catcher. Carson's yards per run are less than Penny's. He's a plodder and a fumbler. Penny has way more talent and more juice and shake and bake as a runner and pass catcher. If Penny is on your WW and you don't pick him up, good luck against the Penny owner when he beats you in the FF playoffs! :)

Terrible, Carson has been AMAZING this year. I own penny, but you can't discount how great Carson has been he has been punishing defenders and did a great job expanding his game pass game wise. I own penny and my rb2 is snell so  I want this to be a thing but the fact is. Healthy Carson = Useless Penny. I remember last year when Penny got a like 12 for 100 against the rams in 2018 and then he went back to being useless for the rest of the year. 2020 year I am in on Penny but if you are starting him youve been eliminated already. 

10 hours ago, nn4mz said:

I’ve held him all year until about 2 weeks ago and then this happens.

I don’t trust Pete Carroll, but I do believe this late in the season, fumbles are the last thing a team needs.

Ill prioritize Snell, but very much intrigued by Penny.

I think Pete Carroll will put up with the fumbles if it means keeping Russell Wilson healthy.

I'm not sure how this will play out, but I know that the two reasons Penny hasn't been a bigger factor in this offense are A, because he isn't a good pass blocker, and B, because he isn't very durable.