J.T. Marlin

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

2 hours ago, StevenSC400 said:

I had penny all year ended up dropping him just couldn’t hold him anymore. Someone picked him up and then dropped him this week. I’m not planning to pick him back up. Only way he takes over fully is if Carson gets injured. Other scenario is a full blown 50/50 timeshare in which both become almost useless.

You and anyone else would be foolish to not pick up Penny for FREE right now on waivers if he was available(which I doubt), especially at this point of the season.

Call it want you want and keep predicting the outcome of this backfield(which is mainly Carson owners), None of us know until Monday Night. But my money is with Penny who is holding on to the ball and making splash plays.  

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 1

Picked him up in two leagues for free.  Mark my words this will be a bust pickup unless Carson gets hurt.  Ugly ugly timeshare that I want zero part of.  How many times has Penny teased us.  He will probably get 5 carries for 15 yards next game.  

1 hour ago, MJJ28 said:

From poster LostAtSea:

"Penny has better average DYAR and DVOA than Carson, better raw stats per carry/efficiency, higher explosive and long play rate, higher scoring rate, lower fumble rate.

Penny is averaging 5.9ypc. Carson is averaging 4.2ypc.

When given 8+ carries Penny is absolutely dominant, averaging an absurd 7.7ypc in those 3 games this year, and 9.8ypc in his lone start last year.

As alluded to originally, Penny has a TD rate just more than 2x greater than Carson. And Penny has a fumble almost 1/2x that of Carson.

The main argument for Carson is his success rate being higher than Penny’s. Aka, he more consistently gets forward yards. Carson is good at this, and his success rate is 57%, near the league leader A Jones at 61%. Penny is at 51%. Unfortunately, this stat doesn’t translate to team or RB success. Here are the best RBs at the high end of the spectrum, near Carson: Zeke, A Jones, M Ingram. Here are the best RBs at the low end of the spectrum, near Penny: McCaffery, Cook, Chubb. Pick your poison, it’s a meaningless stat and a baseless argument.

Do your research - the more you feed Penny the better he does, predictably. And even without being fed much he is outperforming Carson."

That's really all that needs to be said if you are looking for actual, factual information.

Nuff said. Thx for that info.
Let it go “Gohawks” 😂 

21 minutes ago, dlionsfan901 said:

Picked him up in two leagues for free.  Mark my words this will be a bust pickup unless Carson gets hurt.  Ugly ugly timeshare that I want zero part of.  How many times has Penny teased us.  He will probably get 5 carries for 15 yards next game.  

That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard!!

“Picked him up in two leagues for free” then it’s a “bust pickup” then “ugly timeshare that YOU want zero part of”. 

Smh 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by Tomei7
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

The more carries you give a running back the better they will do in general. I think people are overreacting a bit over one game. How about we see what happens next week before we go and say that Penny stole the job. Carson has been having a pretty good year himself I would say despite the fumbles. Let it play out.

Sign Me Up!!

Week 10 vs SB contending Rams last year. I believe Carson was injured or got benched for fumbling again. 😂 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Tomei7 said:

That’s the dumbest thing I ever heard!!

“Picked him up in two leagues for free” then it’s a “bust pickup” then “ugly timeshare that YOU want zero part of”. 

Smh 🤦‍♂️ 

He's just doing that "reverse jinx" thing.  Let's all thank him for the incoming 18-98-2 !

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, purpdrankplaya said:

The more carries you give a running back the better they will do in general. I think people are overreacting a bit over one game. How about we see what happens next week before we go and say that Penny stole the job. Carson has been having a pretty good year himself I would say despite the fumbles. Let it play out.

As long as he's healthy, I don't think that Carson will go away completely because he's too talented and it will likely be a 50/50 or 60/40 at the least, timeshare, if his fumbling continues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

He's just doing that "reverse jinx" thing.  Let's all thank him for the incoming 18-98-2 !

^^^shhhhhh but this guy definitely gets it! ;)

Edited by dlionsfan901
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

Oh dear lord this is an awful take.

Really? You think Carson fumbling 7 times this year bodes well for him on a team prepping for the playoffs? Post some useful observations, not just snarkey BS. What's your take on 7 fumbles? Awesome? No problem? Coaches don't care about fumbles? If Carson were on the Pats he's a healthy scratch ROS.

Edited by Blazer
  • Thanks 3

22 hours ago, Silkk1211 said:

You obviously don’t watch football. I haven’t seen the broken tackles and yards after contact stats in a few weeks but last time I seen them Carson was right at the top of the list in both. He’s a beast and he looks like it when actually watching his film. Any time I’ve ever watched Penny in games he is the one that looks like he Plodder and shows no elusiveness. Fumbles are definitely a knock on Carson and could lead to a timeshare or possibly more for Penny depending on how he does with his opportunities but so far from what Ive seen Carson is the better runner this year and last.

Not anymore. You obviously don't read the news. Penny changed his diet and trainer and if you have watched any football this year, you may have noticed he has looked much better as the year progressed.

All the Carson owners please go to the Carson thread and stop spamming this thread up. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Blazer said:

Really? You think Carson fumbling 7 times this year bodes well for him on a team prepping for the playoffs? Post some useful observations, not just snarkey BS. What's your take on 7 fumbles? Awesome? No problem? Coaches don't care about fumbles? If Carson were on the Pats he's a healthy scratch ROS.

If he was on the Chiefs, he’d be sent to the execution squad after the 3rd fumble...

• Haha 2

Who knows how big of a role Penny will have moving forward, but I love him as an upside pickup and stash this week. Playoff matchups are juicy. When Carson got fumbleitis the first time, unfortunately Penny got injured and didn’t have the chance to take advantage. Now he does. I’m excited to see what he does with this potential opportunity.

21 hours ago, kraftwrk_5 said:

Who knows how big of a role Penny will have moving forward, but I love him as an upside pickup and stash this week. Playoff matchups are juicy. When Carson got fumbleitis the first time, unfortunately Penny got injured and didn’t have the chance to take advantage. Now he does. I’m excited to see what he does with this potential opportunity.

I agree. If Carson fumbles again this week, which you know every D is hip to targeting knocking the ball out of his hands, he's toast ROS. Just hope Penny can fill the void.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/27/2019 at 7:37 PM, Blazer said:

Not anymore. You obviously don't read the news. Penny changed his diet and trainer and if you have watched any football this year, you may have noticed he has looked much better as the year progressed.

All the Carson owners please go to the Carson thread and stop spamming this thread up. Thanks.

Carson owners dealt with Penny owners flooding their thread for the past season and a half. 

Penny has never looked impressive minus this past game. He has looked like an average running back who maybe breaks one a game. Carson has undoubtedly been the better running back that fits the Seattle office. If that changes, yeah maybe Penny starts getting more carries, but Pete has shown to stick by Carson's side through the fumbles. 

We will see what happens, but Carson is still the better back and is not just going to disappear. If anything this turns into a time share and both backs become questionable starts. 

• Haha 2

We need to preface every Penny-hype post with "I hope..."

I play in two fairly competitive leagues local to the Seattle area. The free agent cupboard is pretty bare at this point in the season, but no one in either league has picked up Penny.

Edited by gsiegel
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, gsiegel said:

I play in two fairly competitive leagues local to the Seattle area. The free agent cupboard is pretty bare at this point in the season, but no one in either league has picked up Penny.

I get this but fandom does not always equate to actual football IQ being higher for their particular team... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gsiegel said:

If anything this lessens your leagues credibility if they cant take the fan Homer glasses off and make an objective evaluation as well as stock analysis. Penny just boomed while Carson tanked. No one knows which direction it'll go now but one things for sure- both need to be owned

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PlayTheWaivers said:

If anything this lessens your leagues credibility if they cant take the fan Homer glasses off and make an objective evaluation as well as stock analysis. Penny just boomed while Carson tanked. No one knows which direction it'll go now but one things for sure- both need to be owned

My take is it speaks to knowing PC's tendencies and realizing Penny's touches are not likely to increase much, but whatever. Penny was drafted fairly high in both leagues, fwiw.

Guess we'll find out Monday Night and ROS.

Edited by gsiegel

3 hours ago, gsiegel said:

Penny not being owned is dumb. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2019 at 12:07 AM, kraftwrk_5 said:

When Carson got fumbleitis the first time, unfortunately Penny got injured and didn’t have the chance to take advantage. Now he does. I’m excited to see what he does with this potential opportunity.

agreed that penny's injury undermined his potential during carson's first bout with fumbles as penny might have had a percentage / share of touches early in the season. but carson had a long run without fumbling, earned the lion's share, and this past weekend was not the "fumbleitis" sickness from earlier in the season.

pete carroll said, “What Chris did yesterday, our offensive lineman knocked the ball out of his hands on the first one. The other one, it was a communication problem. It’s a little different than the guy just dropping the ball all over the place.”

so apparently pete retains his faith in carson, yet also wants to give penny more touches. sounds clear that carson's 90% timeshare will be eaten into, and i'd suggest it could go as high as 60% carson / 40% penny, though 70/30 seems more pete carroll.

14 hours ago, oliminator123 said:

We will see what happens, but Carson is still the better back and is not just going to disappear. If anything this turns into a time share and both backs become questionable starts. 

agreed that carson is the better back: he has shown his prowess every sunday since mid-season of last year. i love to watch him run hard and punish defenses.

but i think a key question is, who is the better play---if either---this sunday vs a stout vikings d-line?

clearly we've seen the viking's defense slip this year, but the holes are in the secondary, not up front. while everson griffen isn't 100%, i read the run-defense as a product of linval joseph's health: if linval joseph's 329 pounds is missing from the d-line, i'd play carson. right now, linval joseph is coming off an injury and was "LIMITED" in thanksgiving's practice. but i think he's trending towards playing. if joseph plays, and with penny eating into touches, i'd sooner bench carson for someone with a better matchup.

with carson's potential tethered to linval joseph's health---and a weak secondary promoting a pass-happy game script---seems like penny's a "sit" this week (or a "sit and wait" this week).

my two cents.

3 hours ago, gsiegel said:

1. i don't believe you.

2. check the waivers again.

3. pick up penny if he's out there.

and even if penny's portion is only 25% this week, penny is worth owning going into the playoffs. like mattison, armstead, latavius murray, etc., penny is a goldmine handcuff for playoffs.

• Thanks 1

Yeah it’s extreme mismanagement to not pick up Penny right now unless it’s a 6 team league so I don’t know why anecdotal evidence from some random league is even worth mentioning. 

• Like 1

ABORT ABORT.... 

Man, spent a #1 waiver on this foo, mutha.... 

Speaking Friday, Seahawks OC Brian Schottenheimer said the team plans to stick with its normal running back rotation for Week 13.

"Chris is our guy," Schottenheimer said of Chris Carson despite his Week 12 fumbling woes. "We know that." Schotty went on to add that the team wanted to get Rashaad Penny his touches, but that they wouldn't "force it." Penny out-touched Carson 14-12 in Week 12 while dramatically out-gaining him. The Seahawks have made a habit of re-committing to Carson following his turnovers, but that cannot be taken for granted in Week 13. Carson is a high-risk, high-reward RB2, with Penny offering big-time FLEX upside.