J.T. Marlin

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

19 hours ago, jsch08 said:

You can see in the highlights that he is a home run threat but his balance is poor and he needs to be more decisive. Those are things Carson is much better at despite being a mediocre rb from an athletic standpoint.  Love Penny’s upside but he’s got to get better and I was hoping that would happen in year 2 and the game slowing down for him.

The first thing that always pops in my head as I’m watching Carson hurdle 6ft tall grown men multiple times is “what a mediocre athlete those Seahawks have at rb”. 😐

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

The first thing that always pops in my head as I’m watching Carson hurdle 6ft tall grown men multiple times is “what a mediocre athlete those Seahawks have at rb”. 😐

How about when he is always caught from behind when he gets into the clear and when safeties are never out of place in the angle they take on him?

49 minutes ago, Joe Odam said:

Also it was Brandon freaking Roby. It’s was a decent play but come on. It was Roby!

Carson tried it later when playing the Panthers against a better tackler and it ended about as well as you’d expect for Carson given he’s not the most fluid athlete.

Carson is definitely not athletic as we usually use the word to describe RBs. 

He was a 4.58 40 at 6’0” 215. That is almost exactly my 40 time in college at 6’6” 250. We had DL faster than that in college at 260-280. It isn’t good. 

His scouting profile coming out was “no burst through line, no ability to gather feet for agility in tight spaces, will not win with speed or elusiveness, purely a power back.”

That all still holds mostly true. And he is majorly injury prone. 

He is a lower talent RB that has extreme hustle and intensity. He’s unfortunately likely to miss a ton of time and wear down quickly and never have a meaningful second contract in the league, as pretty much all RBs with his measurables and style end up that way.

• Thanks 1

Chris Carson is a solid RB playing on a run heavy offense. I have no problem taking him and I don't care if he is not a superior athlete. He's athletic enough. 

Penny is a good athlete but hasn't developed as a great runner yet. He is certainly worth a later pick since he should have stand alone value especially with his big play ability. He could be huge if Carson went down.

1 hour ago, elroypedro said:

Carson is definitely not athletic as we usually use the word to describe RBs. 

He was a 4.58 40 at 6’0” 215. That is almost exactly my 40 time in college at 6’6” 250. We had DL faster than that in college at 260-280. It isn’t good. 

His scouting profile coming out was “no burst through line, no ability to gather feet for agility in tight spaces, will not win with speed or elusiveness, purely a power back.”

That all still holds mostly true. And he is majorly injury prone. 

He is a lower talent RB that has extreme hustle and intensity. He’s unfortunately likely to miss a ton of time and wear down quickly and never have a meaningful second contract in the league, as pretty much all RBs with his measurables and style end up that way.

Alvin Kamara ran a 4.56 40 at the same combine.  Yet most would say he's very athletic.  I mention this because there is more to athleticism than straight away speed.  Carson may not be highly athletic in the way we're accustomed to seeing,  but his burst score is in the 88th percentile and his short shuttle was faster than Christian McCaffery's.  On the con side he had the slowest 3 cone of all RB's.  What this tells me is that Carson might not have the top speed or the lateral quickness to wiggle left and right, but he does have a quick first few steps that helps him hit the hole more quickly than most.   I'm really high on him this year with Seattle being so dedicated to the run.  I'd just make sure to draft Penny as well. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, dudewithabadcat said:

Penny is in the Clowney trade rumor mill swirling.  Sort of kind of makes sense.   

The irony of trading for Duane Brown 🤣

On 8/25/2019 at 9:07 AM, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Who's Travis Homer??/

Travis Homer is a guy who runs great between the tackles, which I think is the main weakness of Penny. If Carson goes down, I think Homer will have a serious role.

Saw that Jadaveon Clowney is interested in being traded to Seahawks or Eagles. Texans need an RB and was curious if anyone thinks Penny could be shipped to Texans? Only makes sense. I’m also a Carson and Penny owner so this would be a dream come true 😏

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, joebaker23 said:

Saw that Jadaveon Clowney is interested in being traded to Seahawks or Eagles. Texans need an RB and was curious if anyone thinks Penny could be shipped to Texans? Only makes sense. I’m also a Carson and Penny owner so this would be a dream come true 😏

hope you get this, Sheriff Pusser ... a twofer would be sweet - pullin' for ya 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Travis Homer is a guy who runs great between the tackles, which I think is the main weakness of Penny. If Carson goes down, I think Homer will have a serious role.

lolololol

Penny hasn’t fit Seattle’s scheme at all.

They don’t just like to run. They like to wear down the opponent by pounding the ball down their throat. Penny seems to cut outside half the time for no reason. You can see he has talent but his vision has been abysmal.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I would just keep it simple and pick up Prosise.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

Penny hasn’t fit Seattle’s scheme at all.

They don’t just like to run. They like to wear down the opponent by pounding the ball down their throat. Penny seems to cut outside half the time for no reason. You can see he has talent but his vision has been abysmal.

Exactly.

Penny dances and hesitates at the line too much. In contrast, Carson puts his foot in the ground and goes. If he gets 4 yards, he's satisfied. Carson will continue to punish the defense until get breaks off a nice one. Penny on the other hand always looks for the homerun. I don't think the Seattle O-line is built for that.

1 minute ago, nonstopfan said:

I would just keep it simple and pick up Prosise.

bubble wrap or he go "CRACK"

• Haha 2

Think he gets traded to Houston for Clowney? Been reading Twitter rumors all day about it. I’d be stoked as a Penny owner if he ends up there.

• Like 1

Not sure what you guys are smoking. I’d much rather have him stay in familiar Seattle and keep his same touch share from last year + a sizeable portion of Mike Davis’ vacant touches (with tremendous upside if Carson were to go down) than for him to go to a team with a bad offensive line and learn a new playbook to be a two-down back (at best) a week before the season starts.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nonstopfan said:

Exactly.

Penny dances and hesitates at the line too much. In contrast, Carson puts his foot in the ground and goes. If he gets 4 yards, he's satisfied. Carson will continue to punish the defense until get breaks off a nice one. Penny on the other hand always looks for the homerun. I don't think the Seattle O-line is built for that.

Real question - I don't watch Seattle football but how does he have such efficient numbers (albeit part time) if he doesn't fit their system and dances around?  His first month in the league was complete garbage, after that, he was averaging close to 6 yards per carry after September.

In my experience, if you dance around AND don't fit a system, you likely aren't going to have an average like that.  

Does he always find a way to break at least one run for a big gain to bring that number up?

Edited by boomzdaddy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, nb009 said:

Not sure what you guys are smoking. I’d much rather have him stay in familiar Seattle and keep his same touch share from last year + a sizeable portion of Mike Davis’ vacant touches (with tremendous upside if Carson were to go down) than for him to go to a team with a bad offensive line and learn a new playbook to be a two-down back (at best) a week before the season starts.

Yeah, even if it was an upgrade in situation trades right before the season for my guys scare me. 

As a Seahawks fan, I would like to see them trade Penny for some draft picks and pick up Zach Zenner to be the No 2 man.

Penny is a bad fit in Seattle.

10 hours ago, nb009 said:

If he went to HOU then he'd be fighting Duke for touches, who also just got shipped there and is learning the playbook and was like Penny didn't seem to be on the same wavelength as the coaches on his last team. 

3 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

As a Seahawks fan, I would like to see them trade Penny for some draft picks and pick up Zach Zenner to be the No 2 man.

Penny is a bad fit in Seattle.

dunno if ZeeZee is a "woke" enuff splash for that hippie Carroll ... meh. 

Zenner to the 'Niners after McBroken breaks again ... Shanny seems more old skool. 

• Like 1

A trade to HOU would hurt his value significantly IMO. As much as I love Carson as a runner, he takes a lot of hits and it shows with being banged up. When he's healthy...he's superior to Penny and it's not close. But a Carson injury in theory would open up Penny to RB2 volume.

Unfortunately....that theory is just a theory, and my guess is that even if Carson were to go down, it would be a crapshoot of who would take those carries.

• Like 2