J.T. Marlin

Rashaad Penny 2019 Outlook

Mike Davis was better than Penny.  They moved him , so holding onto Penny seems like a waste of time and potential valuable picks. There are plenty of JAG's to backup Carson that are available.

Penny just is not that good, I am not impressed with him at all.  he needs to go somewhere to revitalize his career if that is possible.

Edited by Sivaro

34 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

Real question - I don't watch Seattle football but how does he have such efficient numbers (albeit part time) if he doesn't fit their system and dances around?  His first month in the league was complete garbage, after that, he was averaging close to 6 yards per carry after September.

In my experience, if you dance around AND don't fit a system, you likely aren't going to have an average like that.  

Does he always find a way to break at least one run for a big gain to bring that number up?

Good question and I was wondering the same thing after reading those comments about his style. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, nromn said:

Good question and I was wondering the same thing after reading those comments about his style. 

After some research, many are saying that he capitalized on broken plays.  

His preseason numbers look rough but if you watch the highlights (I just watched from his last game) every run is up the middle/through the tackles.  About half of the runs look solid with him grabbing a handful of yards and scoring a solid looking touchdown and the other half are him getting stuffed near the line of scrimmage.  Perhaps the defense knows what is coming.

They aren't creating any plays for him on the outside which is what he excels at and appear to continue running him up the middle to improve on his weaknesses, it is preseason, after all.

Maybe a Hawks fan can give some more insight but this doesn't really worry me at this point...

• Like 2

Since Clowney is interested in SEA as a trade destination, anyone closer to the situation know if they’d be willing to trade Penny for him? As a Duke Johnson owner, I’d much prefer to see that than to see Drake go to HOU

44 minutes ago, Sivaro said:

Mike Davis was better than Penny.  They moved him , so holding onto Penny seems like a waste of time and potential valuable picks. There are plenty of JAG's to backup Carson that are available.

Penny just is not that good, I am not impressed with him at all.  he needs to go somewhere to revitalize his career if that is possible.

No one has ever needed to revitalize their career before they’ve entered their 2nd year.

• Like 4

On 8/18/2019 at 8:36 PM, SadFaceHappy said:

Crazy to call Carson injury prone.

Dude broke his leg a few games into his rookie year.  That's it.  Nothing to count on there.

That said, going Carson in the 3rd and Penny in the 6th/7th is real appealing to me

One of the big reasons that his draft stock fell was because of injury concerns. Carson tore his ACL in high school, a sprained ankle that bothered him in 2015, and a broken thumb in 2016 that cut his senior short.

Carson broke his ankle during his rookie season with the Seahawks.

Knee scope this winter

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I do think Penny dances around too much.  He has some highlight plays of him reversing the field...but...s---...how many non-highlights do they not show where he gets busted up trying to do this dipsy-doo stuff.  Really regret drafting him where I did.  I wish he just kept charging forward.  

1 hour ago, Sivaro said:

Congrats on the stunod post of the day

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, mar1kle said:

One of the big reasons that his draft stock fell was because of injury concerns. Carson tore his ACL in high school, a sprained ankle that bothered him in 2015, and a broken thumb in 2016 that cut his senior short.

Carson broke his ankle during his rookie season with the Seahawks.

Knee scope this winter

Yea, I was evidently wrong about that.

My bad

If this guy is included in the Clowney trade, I am selling high. I don’t think a new situation a week before the season is good for a guy like this. Not to mention, the Texans O-Line is poor and Penny would be a two down back at best. People who don’t pay attention might think they have a starting RB on their hands, and with that 1st round draft pedigree, Penny owners may be able to get something good in return.

Fingers crossed its Carson in the deal (though I highly doubt it).

7 minutes ago, nb009 said:

If this guy is included in the Clowney trade, I am selling high. I don’t think a new situation a week before the season is good for a guy like this. Not to mention, the Texans O-Line is poor and Penny would be a two down back at best. People who don’t pay attention might think they have a starting RB on their hands, and with that 1st round draft pedigree, Penny owners may be able to get something good in return.

Fingers crossed its Carson in the deal (though I highly doubt it).

Zero chance theyd deal Carson for Clowney lol

6 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Zero chance theyd deal Carson for Clowney lol

Not following. Don’t let fantasy football fool you. In real football, Clowney is a much more valuable piece than Carson. The Seahawks would snap call that if that’s what the Texans were requesting. Any deal with Carson (or Penny for that matter) would need to include additional pieces...

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, nb009 said:

Not following. Don’t let fantasy football fool you. In real football, Clowney is a much more valuable piece than Carson. The Seahawks would snap call that if that’s what the Texans were requesting. Any deal with Carson (or Penny for that matter) would need to include additional pieces...

They just got Clowney for two LBs and a 3rd.  Texans had zero levarage. Next.

Edited by vthokie3

Just now, vthokie3 said:

Where u seeing LB's?

12 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

Leverage or no leverage, you’re extremely delusional and blinded by fantasy football if you think Seahawks would not trade Carson for Clowney if given the opportunity.

Edited by nb009
  • Like 1

Just now, nb009 said:

Leverage or no leverage, you’re extremely delusional if you think Seahawks would not trade Carson for Clowney if given the opportunity.

They would never have to. They didn't even have to trade an OL which HOU was desperte for. You can view it in a vacuum, context and situation matter.

Texans only got a 3rd, Mingo, and Jacob Martin but Seattle wouldve been happy to trade Carson? Sure thing man

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vthokie3 said:

Texans only got a 3rd, Mingo, and Jacob Martin but Seattle wouldve been happy to trade Carson? Sure thing man

I'd argue that package is clearly better than Carson.

• Like 1

Just now, Singing in Dwayne said:

I'd argue that package is clearly better than Carson.

It could be if they need linebackers but Carson fits perfectly what they want to do on offense. Seattle is better off with Carson than with those players and Penny as a starter. Also if Clowney walks next year Seattle gets a comp 3rd anyways. 2 defensive backups for Clowney is a better deal for Seattle than giving up their starting RB

I'm a Rams fan so if anything i'd rather the Seahawks had lost Carson but it was never going to happen with Clowney only playing on the tag

Edited by vthokie3

2 minutes ago, vthokie3 said:

It could be if they need linebackers but Carson fits perfectly what they want to do on offense. Seattle is better off with Carson than with those players and Penny as a starter. Also if Clowney walks next year Seattle gets a comp 3rd anyways. 2 defensive backups for Clowney is a better deal for Seattle than giving up their starting RB

Yeah, I think either way makes enough sense. They could've dealt Carson and rolled with Penny plus added a guy like McCoy, Ajayi, Martin, Blount, Ivory or even the familiar Rawls to back him up. 

I'm just a big advocate of the notion that RBs are very replaceable, especially tier 2 type talents like Carson.

However, it certainly would be a downgrade that they aren't comfortable making, and perhaps rightfully so since they're a run-heavy team.

• Like 1

Just now, Singing in Dwayne said:

Yeah, I think either way makes enough sense. They could've dealt Carson and rolled with Penny plus added a guy like McCoy, Ajayi, Martin, Blount, Ivory or even the familiar Rawls to back him up. 

I'm just a big advocate of the notion that RBs are very replaceable, especially tier 2 type talents like Carson.

However, it certainly would be a downgrade that they aren't comfortable making, and perhaps rightfully so since they're a run-heavy team.

I just really don't think Penny is all that and going from Carson to some waiver wire washups would be suicide for a run first team. I would've been much more comfortable as a Rams fan if Seattle dealt Carson and rode with Penny as their lead back

Considering how good the Seahawks defense will be with Clowney know and how run heavy they already were does anyone else think Carson and Penny might both see over 200+ touches? 

Last year Davis/Penny/Carson combined for 444 rushes and 53 receptions so even on the wrong side of a 60/40 split Penny would hovering around 200 touches. Factor in Carson's injury history, the chance for an even more run heavy offense with that improved defense/lack of established receiving talent, and I'm pretty stoked to have Penny on my bench. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, AJ92 said:

Considering how good the Seahawks defense will be with Clowney know and how run heavy they already were does anyone else think Carson and Penny might both see over 200+ touches? 

Last year Davis/Penny/Carson combined for 444 rushes and 53 receptions so even on the wrong side of a 60/40 split Penny would hovering around 200 touches. Factor in Carson's injury history, the chance for an even more run heavy offense with that improved defense/lack of established receiving talent, and I'm pretty stoked to have Penny on my bench. 

Christine Michael going to Kool-Aid man our plans isn't he?