smeeze

Darrell Henderson 2019 Outlook

Uhhhhh why do I feel like there should be more discussion here. Potential Gurley injury and path to more playing time. No one really taking a shot?? 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, FantasyGOAT said:

Uhhhhh why do I feel like there should be more discussion here. Potential Gurley injury and path to more playing time. No one really taking a shot?? 

I am. I scooped him back up in my 12 man league. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, FantasyGOAT said:

Yes and no regarding more discussion.

The summer hype train was out of control and the guy hasn't been able to buy a carrry through 5 weeks.

Things are picking up now with Gurley news but we're all still in a "show me something" mode.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, FantasyGOAT said:

Tempted.

Want to wait for today's practice report, but if he's out again it could be too late. Never know who is faster with the fingers once sleeperbot sends an alert.

Feel like this guy is similar to Darrel Williams on KC. Has a couple guys ahead of him, but one is always dinged and another guy may not really be the future.

• Like 1

When asked about Todd Gurley's Week 6 availability, coach Sean McVay talked up the Rams' depth at running back.

"Fortunately for us, we’ve got some depth at that position. ... The confidence we have in Malcolm (Brown). There’s also going to be a time that we’re going to rely on Darrell Henderson, it might end up being this week." Gurley wasn't able to practice on Wednesday after showing up with a thigh contusion and appears to be questionable for Week 6. Brown has seen almost all of the backup action this season and would be the favorite for the most touches if Gurley were to miss, but Henderson would also likely be in the mix for touches, especially as a pass-catcher

i think, at best, it would fall along the lines of JoHo/Sanders split in Philly (if Gurley is down for a bit)  

and damage can be done from that cop/2 minute/receving back role ... this kid is explosive. 

but all gl love would fall to Brown 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

i think, at best, it would fall along the lines of JoHo/Sanders split in Philly (if Gurley is down for a bit)  

and damage can be done from that cop/2 minute/receving back role ... this kid is explosive. 

but all gl love would fall to Brown 🤷‍♂️

As bad as the run blocking has been up front for Gurley, if that's the way it shakes out I'm not sure if I want the short yardage guy.

And TG may get a full in today and all this is just whistling dixie.

But Jordan Howard Malcolm Brown has not been in his NFL career this far.

Howard had 1122 yards his rookie year.  Brown has 628 for his career.  Just saying.

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

As bad as the run blocking has been up front for Gurley, if that's the way it shakes out I'm not sure if I want the short yardage guy.

And TG may get a full in today and all this is just whistling dixie.

But Jordan Howard Malcolm Brown has not been in his NFL career this far.

Howard had 1122 yards his rookie year.  Brown has 628 for his career.  Just saying.

not comparing the players, just the way i see split shaking out ... comparable to how the Iggles use their 2 guys. 

no one said Brown was JoHo - just saying he would take on similar role. 

and no one said Gurley is definitely out or finished. 

plz use your comprehension hat next time.  

TIA

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

not comparing the players, just the way i see split shaking out ... comparable to how the Iggles use their 2 guys. 

no one said Brown was JoHo - just saying he would take on similar role. 

and no one said Gurley is definitely out or finished. 

plz use your comprehension hat next time.  

TIA

I understand your comparison, but my point is, that usage is dictated on the Eagles by Howard's talent.  The comparison to the Rams situation hence may not be applicable.

No need to get snippy Lars.

• Haha 1

I don't own Brown or Henderson, so I have no horse in the race.

But I'm confused why all this time, Malcolm Brown was clearly the guy if Gurley went down, and all of a sudden now there is renewed interest in Henderson.  Maybe McVay is saying that if Gurley is out, then Brown is the guy and Henderson sprinkles in a bit just like Malcolm Brown's old role.  Henderson didn't win the backup job in camp like everybody thought he was.  So if you're rostering him, you're needing 1) Gurley to have long term injury and 2) hoping for a significant part of a timeshare.  I guess it's worth a bench spot if you have room, but there's a lot of ifs.

5 minutes ago, CooL said:

But I'm confused why all this time, Malcolm Brown was clearly the guy if Gurley went down, and all of a sudden now there is renewed interest in Henderson. 

My opinion?

I am leaving myself open to the possibility that stuff changes.  That's all.

Bottom line for me is, Darrell Henderson is a talented cat and Todd Gurley appears hurt.

The fact that he hasn't gotten much run two months into his NFL career or that Malcolm Brown exists and has been above him on the depth chart isn't, to me, a static institution that couldn't be effected by a huge game on Sunday, or moving forward, if he broke a few long runs and show he deserves some run.  And at the college level, he was very adept at that.

Make of it as you will.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CooL said:

I don't own Brown or Henderson, so I have no horse in the race.

But I'm confused why all this time, Malcolm Brown was clearly the guy if Gurley went down, and all of a sudden now there is renewed interest in Henderson.  Maybe McVay is saying that if Gurley is out, then Brown is the guy and Henderson sprinkles in a bit just like Malcolm Brown's old role.  Henderson didn't win the backup job in camp like everybody thought he was.  So if you're rostering him, you're needing 1) Gurley to have long term injury and 2) hoping for a significant part of a timeshare.  I guess it's worth a bench spot if you have room, but there's a lot of ifs.

No one knows who “the guy” is if Gurley is out.  I’m not sure how anyone extrapolates a guy whose last 4 games amounted to 15 total carries and 1 total catch in 3 total targets as the workhorse if Gurley were to sit.  Brown has shown emphatically in his career - including in games this year - that he is a 4.0 ypa JAG.

I do know that given Brown’s history and what Henderson did at Memphis that it is absolutely reasonable and rational that FFers could be much more enthusiastic about Henderson's upside when compared to Brown’s proven career as a NFL RB.  To date, McVay could just be one of those coaches who is leery of putting a rookie RB in early in their rookie year.  

We could be on the verge of seeing what Henderson brings to the table as a pro - and he could bust just as easily as he could force his way into 15 touches or more per game moving forward.  I do know one thing - McVay stated he was going to lighten Gurley’s workload and then after one game this year made Gurley virtually the only option again, and now we’re in week 6 and Gurley is hurt.  Maybe McVay is just a guy who can’t learn a simple lesson.  If so, both Brown and Henderson are good holds since Gurley doesn’t look like he’s going to hold up to a full workload anymore.

• Like 1

drafting henderson in mid summer drafts in the 5-7th rounds (like a moron) and malcolm brown in the 15th round finally going to come to fruition? 

Situational add. Henderson can be a flex (or better?) if Gurley misses time. But this is a thigh contusion, not a knee injury. Gurley will be back, so this is very different than holding a guy like Mattison in case Cook has a season-ending injury. 

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Situational add. Henderson can be a flex (or better?) if Gurley misses time. But this is a thigh contusion, not a knee injury. Gurley will be back, so this is very different than holding a guy like Mattison in case Cook has a season-ending injury. 

true on the new injury ...

but when a new one pops up, it exacerbates the existing condition quite a bit - i do a ton of competitive running, and lower extremity nicks lead to over compensating, which, in turn, leads to different muscles/joints bearing a heavier load, which, in turn, puts them at peril for injury/re-injury/strain/pull/etc.

not a good sitch for Gurley ... now, i'm not tossing dirt on the cat, but, to just simply hand wave this development is ill advised. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

Just seems weird that he's not practicing 10 days after a game because of a thigh bruise.

Maybe they're just playing it safe and he comes out full today.

Guess we'll see.

1 minute ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

true on the new injury ...

but when a new one pops up, it exacerbates the existing condition quite a bit - i do a ton of competitive running, and lower extremity nicks lead to over compensating, which, in turn, leads to different muscles/joints bearing a heavier load, which, in turn, puts them at peril for injury/re-injury/strain/pull/etc.

not a good sitch for Gurley ... now, i'm not tossing dirt on the cat, but, to just simply hand wave this development is ill advised. 

I do a lot of heavy lifting and walk probably 10 miles a day at work. Two weeks ago I pulled a quad which led to me straining my knee, which led to me straining my other knee. Granted, I can’t afford to call in sick so I lived off ibuprofen, but overcompensation in a job like Gurley’s is definitely real.

• Thanks 1

In pre-season I thought we heard that Henderson was having issues picking up the playbook.  Hopefully he has it by now.  If so and if his pass pro is good enough, then he should get plenty of usage if Gurley misses any games.  Two big ifs though.

• Thanks 1

one caveat to the above blurb i linked ... "try" and "figures" are not exactly words that conjure up "ringing endorsement" 🤷‍♂️

seems like they really wanna get the kid out there, but something was holding him back - now the hand might be forced, so ... it's showtime. 

if Gurley sits, the potential script vs that San Fran D would seem to favor Hendu's role a bit more than Brown's. 

also, we've all seen the Brown show ... it's servicable/utilitarian - but i prefer to swing for the unknown variable here, which is the rook. 

whatever peripherals kept him glued to the pine are out the freakin' window - let's kick these tires ...

Edited by pastorofmuppets2
sPeLLiNk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

one caveat to the above blurb i linked ... "try" and "figures" are not exactly words that conjure up "ringing endorsement" 🤷‍♂️

seems like they really wanna get the kid out there, but something was holding him back - now the hand might be forced, so ... it's showtime. 

if Gurley sits, the potential script vs that San Fran D would seem to favor Hendu's role a bit more than Brown's. 

also, we've all seen the Brown show ... it's servicable/utilitarian - but i prefer to swing for the unknown variable here, which is the rook. 

whatever peripherals kept him glued to the pine are out the freakin' window - let's kick these tires ...

Niners look legit.  I'm not gushing with excitement over playing either guy if Gurley misses, probably a wait and see juuuuuuuuuuuuust in case something is rotten in Denmark with the injury updates with TG and this proves to be a longer term type deal.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Niners look legit.  I'm not gushing with excitement over playing either guy if Gurley misses, probably a wait and see juuuuuuuuuuuuust in case something is rotten in Denmark with the injury updates with TG and this proves to be a longer term type deal.

agreed, it's a slooow play pending Gurley's ros status. 

but at least it looks like we may get a taste on Sunday - definitely not in any of my lineups, but if Gurley sits, he's the player i'm most excited to follow this week. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1