Sign in to follow this  
smeeze

Darrell Henderson 2019 Outlook

Well duh, If Gurley is out, Henderson moves from #3 to #2 so of course there will be involvement. But likely a small workload especially early on and if Gurley doesn't miss much time, he goes right back to #3. Dynasty/keeper piece, or deep league redraft stash. JMO

Henderson is more talented/dynamic than Brown. Biggest question would be does he know the playbook and can he protect Goff. If both are yes, I'd expect him to take the job from Brown in one week. This of course is assuming Gurley were to miss multiple weeks at some point this season. 

2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Henderson is more talented/dynamic than Brown. Biggest question would be does he know the playbook and can he protect Goff. If both are yes, I'd expect him to take the job from Brown in one week. This of course is assuming Gurley were to miss multiple weeks at some point this season. 

Pass blocking concerns seem legit.

He's not a huge guy, and they have struggled at times to keep Goff clean with the new center and guard.

Probably more of a "help blocker" or a guy you'd have on a slip screen where he holds up for a second or two and then runs a pattern, and might be in trouble with blitz pickup one on one.

The question would then become if his open field ability is dynamic enough to offset that.

This is with all the other caveats (We don't know the extent of Gurley's injury, Brown is a better pass blocker for certain, short yardage is Brown's area, etc.) applied.

But yeah, I could confidently say that given the tape on both at the collegiate level, Henderson is the better pure runner in space.

• Like 1

The Rams took him early 3rd round

He was going in the top 8 rounds this summer

The Rams still have one of the most RB friendly offenses in the NFL

Gurley hasn’t looked like himself and is now dealing with a mysterious injury

Henderson is a must stash at this point

Just grabbed him for P. Williams.

When it comes to these RB situations, you pick up the RB and ask questions later.

Who knows...you could look back and see that this was the beginning of the end for Gurley. 

If he practices today, well, here's the door Mr. Henderson.

• Like 1

Only needs an opportunity to show what he can do. This week he might get that chance. I’m curious to see what he does with it

there's a reason why we haven't seen him yet, mcvay is saving him to unleash in the playoffs once the wheels fall off gurley.  

• Like 1

If you're in a keeper league or dynasty league, then odds are he is on a roster, but what is the worst if you roster him? Takes a spot at the bottom of your roster or potentially during playoffs, you have a gem.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

I'll put it this way, if they want to run the ball with 11 personnel (and I don't think they can take Kupp off the field for long periods of time and have an effective offense) they need a back with the speed to make those stretch runs effective.

If Gurley can't go, who do you think is a better fit for that, the between the tackles mauler, or the one who is much faster?

We may find out soon.

4 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

“Henderson wouldn’t be nearly as effective in protection as Gurley and Brown have been.  It takes time and experience to gain that skill as a running back. The Rams simply can’t afford to let Henderson go out there and make mistakes. They’re doing that with enough of their offensive linemen as it is.“

16 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

true on the new injury ...

but when a new one pops up, it exacerbates the existing condition quite a bit - i do a ton of competitive running, and lower extremity nicks lead to over compensating, which, in turn, leads to different muscles/joints bearing a heavier load, which, in turn, puts them at peril for injury/re-injury/strain/pull/etc.

not a good sitch for Gurley ... now, i'm not tossing dirt on the cat, but, to just simply hand wave this development is ill advised. 

Thigh contusion is not at all related to Gurley's knee issues, and it would be disingenuous to say that it is

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, herschel said:

“Henderson wouldn’t be nearly as effective in protection as Gurley and Brown have been.  It takes time and experience to gain that skill as a running back. The Rams simply can’t afford to let Henderson go out there and make mistakes. They’re doing that with enough of their offensive linemen as it is.“

Good point. If this offense was firing on all cylinders like the last couple season, Henderson would've already been used as some sort of dynamic change of pace and wrinkle to give opponents something to think about.

surprised theres not more love for this guy. if nothing else he is at least worth a roster spot to see how things play out...

2 minutes ago, herschel said:

surprised theres not more love for this guy. if nothing else he is at least worth a roster spot to see how things play out...

bc it's pretty clear malcolm is the play here.

1 minute ago, pierceNKC said:

i own brown as well, but guess im not as confidant as you.  why not grab both, especially in ppr.  if henderson doesnt do anything you can throw him back on the wire....

1 minute ago, pierceNKC said:

Short term, Darrells role will increase this will be a full blown timeshare if Gurley misses an extended period of time. Brown has been in the league 5 years and never rushed for over 250 yards and his talent has never thrusted him into a position to start consistently so to say Brown is entrenched as a bell cow back in this offense is borderline laughable. Timeshare IMO they traded up in the 3rd round to draft Henderson, If he can adequately block at some point bad news for Brown.

5 minutes ago, herschel said:

People drafted him way too high and once they saw how little run he got compared to Brown it makes them shy to stick their necks out again.

I don't necessarily agree that Brown will be the guy if there's more to Gurley's injury than they are letting on, but I won't deny it's possible.  Bet small if you can, but don't just bet on Brown.

Took a lotto ticket. Hyped all off season and if Gurley sits we should see real quick what his role is.

8 minutes ago, 3FLi said:

Took a lotto ticket. Hyped all off season and if Gurley sits we should see real quick what his role is.

I'd suspect you'll have to be patient.  I don't think they'll be able to move the ball against SF real well.

But if Gurley misses next week against ATL things could get interesting.

This dude has played all of like 2 snaps and Gurley is going to be out maybe 2 weeks max lol