SpecialFNK

J.P. Crawford 2019 Outlook

Dee Gordon is hurt and could be out.

JP Crawford was scratched last night, and could be called up.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/baseball-daily-dose/dose-down-goes-dee?sf212456699=1

90-mph dart that caught Gordon on the right wrist. That sent the nine-year vet into a world of pain as Gordon made a beeline to the clubhouse, where he was administered X-rays that were ultimately deemed “inconclusive.” Gordon will undergo further testing upon his arrival in Boston Friday but it sounds like the Mariners are bracing for the worst. J.P. Crawford, a prized prospect during his Phillies heyday, was scratched Thursday at Triple-A Tacoma, a sign that he could be headed east along with other reinforcements.

Crawford has been doing well in AAA.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=180902

.319/.415/.457/.872/ 3 HR, 3 SB, 13.8 BB%, 18.1 K%.

Could be interesting in points leagues especially, as he's always had a good K/BB and he's on a 30+ doubles pace in AAA right now. 

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Dee Gordon is hurt and could be out.

JP Crawford was scratched last night, and could be called up.

https://www.rotoworld.com/article/baseball-daily-dose/dose-down-goes-dee?sf212456699=1

Crawford has been doing well in AAA.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=180902

.319/.415/.457/.872/ 3 HR, 3 SB, 13.8 BB%, 18.1 K%.

Good Call!

I'm in change of scenery multiple positions and a good atmosphere in Seattle especially right now not a bad choice 

Not the greatest matchup for his first game, as Crawford has struggled against lefties even worse than righties so far in his MLB career.  Also, while E-Rod hasn't been very good this season, he has actually been good enough at home.

Still, Crawford is an interesting pickup to see if he can finally click on a new team.  This isn't the first time he's done good in AAA, but I'm still considering a flier (but still likely benching tonight).

Heard he reached base in every game in AAA this year.  Skeptical of his hit tool and SS a lot better this year than in recent years.  But in deeper leagues and AL Only good flier.  I see too many better options in shallow to justify making a ballsy move on him for.

Edited by Cmilne23

Shed Long was called up to replace Gordon. He plays all over. Could he take over for Crawford if Crawford struggles and Beckham finds his bat again ?

24 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

I see 4 games vs Baltimore. They have a propensity to make opposing team's hitter look better than they actually are and that's likely the case here 

fact check. true. 

I think there's more to his recent success than opponent.

As per Roto Professor writer Ray Kuhn:

Crawford Has a Day

We might be two or three seasons too late, but what we saw from JP Crawford on Sunday, is exactly what we have been waiting for from the top prospect. The fact that the Mariners are rebuilding, means they have the latitude to give Crawford playing time, as he was batting second on Sunday. And that shortstop certainly produced as he went 4 for 4 with four RBI and two runs scored as he hit his second home run of the season. In 100 at bats so far this season, Crawford is now hitting .300 with 16 RBI as the former first round pick is fast approaching his career high in at bats (117). Crawford hit .214 in each of his last two major league seasons, but with the ability always being there (just not present), I wouldn’t write this off as a fluke. Instead, the shortstop is finally healthy, and the change of scenery to Seattle has also worked for him.

Edited by Sterling Archer
  • Like 2

I mean, he's only 24 years old... it seems like he's older for how long he was talked about in Philly. For hitters, 24-26 seems to be the hot spot for any type of breakout. At the very least he can be a stat accumulator hitting in the 2 slot. He gets on base a good amount so he should be able to score some runs. 

• Like 1

Its obvious that they're giving him a chance and In the 15 games before the Baltimore series, he hit a respectable .283 and has always had the plate discipline to get on base, but its hollow. Only 6 XBHs over that time (all doubles), 6 runs, 8 RBI and and 0 steals. Not sure what that's going to win you. Maybe this weekend propels him a bit. Confidence is a weird thing. 

• Like 1

I picked him up in one of my leagues as a speculative flyer.  I had the roster spot for him.  The fact that they have him penciled into the #2 hole in the order makes it worth while.  At that spot he has an opportunity to accumulate some numbers. Should he hit of course. 

23 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Its obvious that they're giving him a chance and In the 15 games before the Baltimore series, he hit a respectable .283 and has always had the plate discipline to get on base, but its hollow. Only 6 XBHs over that time (all doubles), 6 runs, 8 RBI and and 0 steals. Not sure what that's going to win you. Maybe this weekend propels him a bit. Confidence is a weird thing. 

He actually had 9 XBH prior to the Baltimore series. Regardless, whether or not a free player can win your league isnt exactly the best way to judge whether a guy is rosterable. JP is slugging .450 this year, which is top 15 for SS and he was free and he has been recently slotted into the 2 spot, in front of Domingo!....ride til the production falls off and if it doesnt, well even better.

• Like 1

[...]

3 hits and 3 rbis tonight after 2 hits last night and 4 hits the night before

hitting 2nd as stated above  in front of santana and vogel.  anyone watch games and buying post hype sleeper?

Edited by tonycpsu

His Line Drive rate ranks third in the league behind Cody Bellinger and Whit Merrifield. He's spraying the ball all over the field too which makes him difficult to shift. Also hit .319 in the minors this year so he's been doing it all season. Just platoon him against lefties and you should be good to go. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

His Line Drive rate ranks third in the league behind Cody Bellinger and Whit Merrifield. He's spraying the ball all over the field too which makes him difficult to shift. Also hit .319 in the minors this year so he's been doing it all season. Just platoon him against lefties and you should be good to go. 

will he stay in the 2 hole you think?

3 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

Yes, Mariners have no reason to take him out of that spot as long as he's hitting. He's getting a shot to show he belongs in the top part of the lineup since they want him to be their SS for a while

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

For the time being yes. When Haniger gets back, I don't think so unless Mallex gets moved down in the lineup. The Mariners are a tough team to read, but I would ride Crawford for the near future and see what happens. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, street sharks said:

Yes, Mariners have no reason to take him out of that spot as long as he's hitting. He's getting a shot to show he belongs in the top part of the lineup since they want him to be their SS for a while

can he realistically be a 20 hr guy? ive heard he isnt a big time stolen base threat

I scooped him in a 16 teamer right after Baltimore. Didn't think twice. You need to act on guys like this if you want to win. You need to do it several times a year, and see what sticks. If he hits, he fits and you take the runs and rbi from a 2 slot. Ironically I can run a Ketel/Crawford/Segura infield which feels kinda cool(traded for each other IRL)

21 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

I scooped him in a 16 teamer right after Baltimore. Didn't think twice. You need to act on guys like this if you want to win. You need to do it several times a year, and see what sticks. If he hits, he fits and you take the runs and rbi from a 2 slot. Ironically I can run a Ketel/Crawford/Segura infield which feels kinda cool(traded for each other IRL)

For some reason, this image popped in my head when I read your post.

tenor.gif?itemid=10032136

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

can he realistically be a 20 hr guy? ive heard he isnt a big time stolen base threat

Not a chance. The 15 he hit in the minors a few years ago was the max

I think if he has 300 AB's ROS give or take he may hit 6-8 and have a 280 BA. I think he is just hot right now, ride it and get off.......

SB are a non factor now for him but 3-5 is almost a certainty

Edited by rotodr
spelling