Sign in to follow this  
KrispySteve423

Gio Urshela 2019 Outlook

I don't see how he doesn't play over Andujar at this point. He's providing similar numbers with the bat and his defense is light-years ahead of Miggy. 

So what changed for Urshela this year? From 2015-18, he hit .259 with 27 HR over 1,536 ABs between the minors and Majors. Pro career .264 hitter with 80 HRs in 3,844 ABs. 

This year, he's hitting .323 with 16 HR in 303 ABs.

Either something drastic changed in his swing and approach...or this year is a complete fluke. 

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Either something drastic changed in his swing and approach...or this year is a complete fluke. 

Kinda where I'm at/have been for the past several weeks. Would love some analysis, and am sure there'll be plenty coming.

I'm in a competitive 12-team keeper league, and this guy has just been hanging out to dry on the wire all season long. It's weird. Still a bunch of people who aren't convinced yet.

34 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

So what changed for Urshela this year? From 2015-18, he hit .259 with 27 HR over 1,536 ABs between the minors and Majors. Pro career .264 hitter with 80 HRs in 3,844 ABs. 

This year, he's hitting .323 with 16 HR in 303 ABs.

22 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

Kinda where I'm at/have been for the past several weeks. Would love some analysis, and am sure there'll be plenty coming.

I'm in a competitive 12-team keeper league, and this guy has just been hanging out to dry on the wire all season long. It's weird. Still a bunch of people who aren't convinced yet.

Ask and you shall receive. This article shows a swing change

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-why-havent-we-talked-about-gio-urshela-yet/

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Miguel AnduWho?

give Cashman/scouts all the credit in the world for getting this guy, Voit, and Tauchman

@Baseball Batman - i dont think Andujar's value is that high tbh

Edited by jfazz23

9 hours ago, Macgregor said:

TIFWIW, over the last 30 days, he's the #5 3B-eligible player in Yahoo. 

What's changed? The baseball has changed.  Tommy Lastella all of a sudden a 30 HR a year guy? Or the numerous other examples of non traditional HR guys all of a sudden having tons of HRs.  The Twins are on Pace for the all time HR record for a season. The ball is juiced, it's simple.

17 minutes ago, murraygd13 said:

What's changed? The baseball has changed.  Tommy Lastella all of a sudden a 30 HR a year guy? Or the numerous other examples of non traditional HR guys all of a sudden having tons of HRs.  The Twins are on Pace for the all time HR record for a season. The ball is juiced, it's simple.

then why arent guys like arenado on pace for 60 homeruns?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

The swing change is obviously helping because he's got a career low GB rate and career high LD rate

2 hours ago, jfazz23 said:

then why arent guys like arenado on pace for 60 homeruns?

Thats what I want to know. Why do guys like Harper or Arenado not have 40 already

• Like 1

3 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

That's great, but it isn't the total answer. The "juiced" ball hasn't benefited everyone. 

3 hours ago, Big League Choo said:

Thats what I want to know. Why do guys like Harper or Arenado not have 40 already

And why doesn’t Joey Votto have more than ..... 11? 😢

• Haha 3

.300+ hitter batting 3rd for the yanks = 5th round next year?

3 hours ago, sleepysock said:

And why doesn’t Joey Votto have more than ..... 11? 😢

Could be the 11 are the results of the juiced ball. He had 12 last year and is in is father time period of his career. 😁

• Like 1

Yesterday only 5 hits as a team and Ursh gets 2 of them with a 2B and R...he just always finds a way to create a positive contribution to the boxscore/team.

Oh and 8 home games this week...

another big day, wonder what this means for andujar?  they have Voit at 1b and will prob want to use DH for stanton/judge/sanchez going forward.  not to mention Tauchman being a surprise and perhaps bringing gardner back for 1 more year.  

i dont see how urshela isnt the starting 3b next year in a stacked yankees lineup.  any chance he gets traded for a pitcher?  he has team control again next year and 3 years of Arb.  i hope not

Just now, jfazz23 said:

another big day, wonder what this means for andujar?  they have Voit at 1b and will prob want to use DH for stanton/judge/sanchez going forward.  not to mention Tauchman being a surprise and perhaps bringing gardner back for 1 more year.  

i dont see how urshela isnt the starting 3b next year in a stacked yankees lineup.  any chance he gets traded for a pitcher?  he has team control again next year and 3 years of Arb.  i hope not

As a sox fan, I hate this quote. The fact that the bombers have TOO much talent gives me nausea.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a feeling earlier in the year that Urshela would be preferring over Andujar simply for his incredible defense alone. Now I have no doubt in my mind. Total stud. Your new Yankee third baseman scooped off waivers. Please and thank you :)

• Like 3

The weirdest thing about GU is he wasn't even bad in the minor leagues.  He was actually pretty good.  

Another sick defensive play to end the game, awesome footwork. There are no underlying metrics that indicate this is some fluky deal with his numbers.

He made legit changes and is reaping the benefits--along with a super favorable home park and insulating lineup.

Coming off a very serious shoulder injury (that can affect your swing) and already being a relatively awful defender at 3B, Andujar has been replaced.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

My guess is Andujar is packaged in a deal for a pitcher. Andujar was a good hitter but was a butcher with the glove. Urshela is the total package.