The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

I believe it was stated earlier that Aguilar doesn't have any options left. He's just a blob on the bench at this point. I don't know what Shaw's leash will be, but based on this move I'm guessing it's longer than anyone here would be expecting.

edit to remove

Edited by wideopen21

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

Aguilar's out of minor league options, and would be unlikely to clear waivers.

That makes sense I suppose, not that I really think hed be a loss elswehere now either. With Thames there and Shaw/Moose as options hes redundant and also awful, still living off that huge 2018 first half. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

now the question is, is he worth stashing?

I'm sure the answer is league/team specific but I'll be holding and watching the next 30 at bats or so from Shaw and Aguilar. It'll become harder to hold if they both suddenly start hitting. But they're going to have a lot of pressure to perform now and their leashes shouldn't be very long now that they know Hiura is major league ready.

They are paying Shaw a ton of dough aren't they?  Contract needs to be justified.

2 minutes ago, B&F said:

They are paying Shaw a ton of dough aren't they?  Contract needs to be justified.

Thats a fallacy lots of bad front offices fall into. Dont double down once something becomes a mistake. Shaw probably needs more time to show if he can rebound but at the sake of Hiura it seems an odd thing to do. Shaw may well prove hes still fine but 20/20 hindsight is the only way this will be viewed as making sense. As far as big money goes too, Shaw isnt making so much you cant move on if you see its whats best, 4.6 million and arbitration eligible. Not that Im arguing they cut him right now or something. 

• Like 1

Wow’d 😮 I cannot believe what I heard/read .. shocking. Kinda stupid in my eyes sending Hiura to the minors, but I do understand this vets rule thing. 

4 minutes ago, B&F said:

No, they're not. 4.6 million

2 minutes ago, dzemens said:

Thats a fallacy lots of bad front offices fall into. Dont double down once something becomes a mistake. Shaw probably needs more time to show if he can rebound but at the sake of Hiura it seems an odd thing to do. Shaw may well prove hes still fine but 20/20 hindsight is the only way this will be viewed as making sense. 

Yeah, and if there’s a financial component to this decision it’s that by sending Hiura down for a couple weeks it keeps him from becoming a Super Two player.

I get giving Shaw every chance to get on track that makes sense. 

What doesn’t make sense is moving Moose back to 2nd when he caught fire playing 3rd.

Move Shaw to 1st and DFA Aguilar. It’s not that hard.

Looks like Craig Counsell and Jeff Shaw were teammates back in 1999 with the Dodgers.  I’m sure there’s some good ole boy club business going on here.  I do think Shaw has shown enough to deserve a longer leash in the bigs.  But the smart money would of been on putting him at first.  Keston will have his time soon enough.  

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Yeah, and if there’s a financial component to this decision it’s that by sending Hiura down for a couple weeks it keeps him from becoming a Super Two player.

Id argue the stupidity of teams worrying about that as well, especially with a new CBA before that becomes an issue. But this is neither the time or the place. 

why not just leave shaw in the minors to see if he can regain form? what's the urgency to bring him back to the majors.. i don't get it.

edit: i'm assuming he was on a rehab stint and not technically in the minors? is there a specific timetable for rehab stints?

Edited by osb_tensor

Just now, Magoo said:

I get giving Shaw every chance to get on track that makes sense. 

What doesn’t make sense is moving Moose back to 2nd when he caught fire playing 3rd.

Move Shaw to 1st and DFA Aguilar. It’s not that hard.

In your eyes but just remember last year Jesus Aguilar was the Brewers second best hitter. He needs to get right for the Brewers to have a shot at a pennant 

There Brewers reddit is in full riot mode and reasonably so. 

17 games

5 HR

thats .281 45 HR pace. Not good enough to stay up? GMAB.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

In your eyes but just remember last year Jesus Aguilar was the Brewers second best hitter. He needs to get right for the Brewers to have a shot at a pennant 

Or Shaw does and Hiura mans 2nd...theres options there really and rolling out Aguilar on the reg is a negative for the team now.

Just now, hailtoyourvictor said:

There Brewers reddit is in full riot mode and reasonably so. 

17 games

5 HR

thats .281 45 HR pace. Not good enough to stay up? GMAB.

And predictably Hiura’s k rate dropped to low 20s this past week. Just hitting his stride lol.

This has to be a two week demotion to get that extra control over Hiura.  

13 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

No, they're not. 4.6 million

Pocket change.

Super Two with Hiura in play here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dzemens said:

Or Shaw does and Hiura mans 2nd...theres options there really and rolling out Aguilar on the reg is a negative for the team now.

You are right Aguilar is in the negative

I just don’t think Shaw is more valuable than Aguilar. 

• Thanks 1

This type of stuff isn’t helping build the mlb brand and grow the fan base. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/1/2019 at 6:19 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

They aren't the O's who are just playing out the string the last 4 months.  They are playing for all the marbles in a very tight division.  You don't send down one of your best players and the gem of your farm system the last couple of years to try and tweak a three month disaster (spring training included) on the fly.  There would be riots in the cheese state if that happened.

About this.....

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Facts. Forget about fantasy. Manipulating rosters for financial or other reasons and leaving down more talented players (Vlad, Hiura, back to Kris Bryant, Casey Mize would be Tigers 1 or 2 SP TODAY, etc.) is awful for the sport and only a baseball issue. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

This has always been my biggest issue with how teams handle their young players who are clearly ready to be MLB starters, and vets who suck and taking these young players time away. 

As a Rockies fan, it's even worse. But MLB has to make some serious changes to Super two, etc so as to not insult the intelligence of their fan base. A move like this in Milwaukee is a joke. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Facts. Forget about fantasy. Manipulating rosters for financial or other reasons and leaving down more talented players (Vlad, Hiura, back to Kris Bryant, Casey Mize would be Tigers 1 or 2 SP TODAY, etc.) is awful for the sport and only a baseball issue. 

I doubt this is the Brewers aim. They wouldn't have called him up in the first place and called a scrub up from AAA if this was all about super 2. By putting him on the 40 man early they now need to hold him down a full 30 days to stop his clock. 

Brewers have been more proactive about capitalizing when they have a competitive team and I don't think this happens if Jesus had Options.

Edited by Slatykamora