The 7th Beatles

Keston Hiura 2019 Outlook

On 7/28/2019 at 2:59 AM, Trexpenniebaker said:

I am afraid to buy him, cause I don't want to jinx him and he turns into A Riley. I bought Riley then he dropped off the cliff. I so scared

If you're in a keeper I think it's worth having both of those guys.  Riley has proven he can mash, he just needs to get his plate discipline under control.  Hiura is a better hitter overall so when he does slump it shouldn't be as painful as Riley's slump that he's currently in. 

I know that it's quite dangerous to evaluate prospects only after a few hundred ABs... But... I really believe that Riley is NEVER, EVER going to be on the same level as Hiura in terms of batting.

Plate discipline is not an easy thing to 'fix,' and Riley simply lacks the tools to make contact to the ball. Hiura is elite in that.

Is it crazy to say he the top 2nd baseman in the league fantasy wise

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Denbo32 said:

Is it crazy to say he the top 2nd baseman in the league fantasy wise

Um, yes. 

• Like 3

not so crazy when you look at what he's done over the past month. granted, i'm only looking at one yahoo league in particular in saying this so i realize the stat cat combination is specific... but the only two "2B"s coming in hotter than him over the past 30 days don't even really play 2B; yuli gurriel and danny santana (plays there only about a quarter of the time). 

the kid slashed .355/.429/.699 in july with six homers, 18 rbi, six steals, 10 doubles and a pair of triples to boot... so while i don't know if it makes him the "best" fantasy 2bagger in the game, he's damn close to being the best right now.

18 minutes ago, zykomonkey said:

not so crazy when you look at what he's done over the past month. granted, i'm only looking at one yahoo league in particular in saying this so i realize the stat cat combination is specific... but the only two "2B"s coming in hotter than him over the past 30 days don't even really play 2B; yuli gurriel and danny santana (plays there only about a quarter of the time). 

the kid slashed .355/.429/.699 in july with six homers, 18 rbi, six steals, 10 doubles and a pair of triples to boot... so while i don't know if it makes him the "best" fantasy 2bagger in the game, he's damn close to being the best right now.

Id imagine baez as the only definate pick ahead of him in a draft next year.  Hiura is in the next group of marte, moncada, mondesi and jose ramirez for me. Probably ahead of muncy,merrifield and torres.  6th overall with #1 upside.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Id imagine baez as the only definate pick ahead of him in a draft next year.  Hiura is in the next group of marte, moncada, mondesi and jose ramirez for me. Probably ahead of muncy,merrifield and torres.  6th overall with #1 upside.

Won't Baez be out of the 2B pool next year?

5 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Won't Baez be out of the 2B pool next year?

He has 0 appearances at 2B this year. Looks like he stands a good chance of losing 2B eligibility in all formats next season.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jhsong916 said:

I know that it's quite dangerous to evaluate prospects only after a few hundred ABs... But... I really believe that Riley is NEVER, EVER going to be on the same level as Hiura in terms of batting.

Plate discipline is not an easy thing to 'fix,' and Riley simply lacks the tools to make contact to the ball. Hiura is elite in that.

I don't think anyone would argue that.  Hiura is definitely a better hitter.  There's zero doubt about that.  Riley *should* have value moving forward though as a power hitter.  I think he's capable of putting up 30+ HR while hitting .250-.260 whereas Hiura I think can hit closer to .300.  Hiura will be better overall I'm sure, but they both have value.

1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

Um, yes. 

Do we have a consensus top 2B for next year with Baez out? 

Alibes, Hiura, Torres, and Bichette(not sure)?? will all be in that high upside group.

Whit Merrield will be the high floor play.

Jose Altuve will be the boring vet play

Ketel Marte will be the "is this a career year or the new trend"

Jonathan Villar  and Cavan Biggio being the power/speed plays.

Max Muncy, Moose Tacos, Brandon Lowe, Michael Chavis being the big power plays.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Baez, Moncada, Mondesi and Jose Ramiez will not have 2B eligibility next year.

10 minutes ago, Slatykamora said:

Baez, Moncada, Mondesi and Jose Ramiez will not have 2B eligibility next year.

Damn! Didnt realize that. Even in yahoo?that totally makes hiura a fantasy diamond. Much moreso than i thought.

Appearances at 2B this season:

Baez - 0

Moncada - 0

Mondesi - 0

Ramirez - 0

2 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Do we have a consensus top 2B for next year with Baez out? 

Alibes, Hiura, Torres, and Bichette(not sure)?? will all be in that high upside group.

Whit Merrield will be the high floor play.

Jose Altuve will be the boring vet play

Ketel Marte will be the "is this a career year or the new trend"

Jonathan Villar  and Cavan Biggio being the power/speed plays.

Max Muncy, Moose Tacos, Brandon Lowe, Michael Chavis being the big power plays.

2B is indeed deep on Yahoo. 

But consider this.  And no it is not a cool story bro.  It is an EXAMPLE of what happens at 2B and will happen next year as well.  Personally I own nine (two on IL with Mondesi, who won't be 2B next year, and Brandon Lowe) of those other guys but I play ONLY three of them at 2B only. 

This is what I mean.  Whitfield in 2 leagues but is only a back-up 2B because I use him as an OF or back-up 1B more since I have Hirura in one league and Altuve in the other for 2B for example.

More examples.  Also playing Muncy more at 1B/3B and Ketel more as a CF or back-up SS and Chavis and Moose both more at 3B.  That makes a "pure" (one position only) Hirura more valuable at, uh, 2B.  In other words so many of those listed above may well be drafted for and or be playing at other positions than 2B next year as in I only use Altuve, Hirura and Biggio at 2B out of my owned nine 2B now. (And Biggio is eligible in RF, just have a hole at 2B in that league with Mondesi and B Lowe both out). 

So only Hirura and Altuve are pure, can only play 2B and 2B only, players of those nine I own and I tend to play most of the others at other positions.  So the total of really good 2B may well be far less than those eligible for next year if that makes any sense.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pjoner said:

was nice while it lasted...

Please drop him so we can take benefit

• Like 1

Honestly, give me Biggio over this guy ROS.  Can’t play defense and he’s not looking likely to break out of this slump anytime soon.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, DemOrioles said:

Honestly, give me Biggio over this guy ROS.  Can’t play defense and he’s not looking likely to break out of this slump anytime soon.  

I bet you could make that trade in your league right this moment with ease.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DemOrioles said:

I hate to agree but you are right. He is sitting on the bench until ....