MrBrown

Austin Riley 2019 Outlook

Stud prospect, getting called up for the Braves.  Expected to start in the OF.

Edited by MrBrown
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Call me Red said:

I added him half an hour ago. Love when a plan comes together!

You were saying? 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's potentially going to be a slow, excruciating wait for that OF eligibility for some of us ESPN players if he hits

3 hours ago, radioflyer9 said:

Boom!! Just scooped today when Ender went down 

Added him yesterday morning before Ender got hurt.  Boom!  😉

All joking aside, this should be fun.  And he comes up to make his debut for a Mike Soroka start, adding to the fun a bit.

4 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

This is the biggest one yet, imo. Most grab regardless of format.

Bigger than Keston?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Bigger than Keston?

Bigger than senzel?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Bigger than Keston?

I mean, I’m excited but no. And not to mention Vlad Jr and Senzel. All 3 better hitting prospects than Riley (no disrespect, he could be great also).

Whats their plan here, is it expected to be for good?

I assumed Don was injured again when I saw the callup but seems hes fine. So who's he replacing?

2 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Whats their plan here, is it expected to be for good?

I assumed Don was injured again when I saw the callup but seems hes fine. So who's he replacing?

I think it's the norm. He's up because Inciarte was hurt, even though he was on the cusp anyway. This is why I think the Braves started giving him time in the OF. If he hits, he sticks. If he struggles, it's a cup of joe.

They're all very exciting callups. And being a "better prospect" is rather meaningless at this point  They were all closely-ranked top prospects, and those rankings change all the time.  Baseball America, MLB, Baseball Prospectus have their own rankings and don't always 100% agree.

The Braves for me are a more exciting team than the Brewers (Reds and Blue Jays there's no debate, they're not exciting at all)  I'd only watch the Brewers for Yelich and Hiura, there's a lot more players on the Braves I'd tune in for. Senzel wasn't doing so hot when he got called up either.  Vlad Jr had the injury and then gets called up to a team no one cares about.  The prospect rankings won't tell us who will be the best MLB hitter of the bunch, all are expected to be very good based on rankings.  Time will tell who will be the best, and everyone will have their own opinions.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

They're all very exciting callups. And being a "better prospect" is rather meaningless at this point  They were all closely-ranked top prospects, and those rankings change all the time.  Baseball America, MLB, Baseball Prospectus have their own rankings and don't always 100% agree.

The Braves for me are a more exciting team than the Brewers (Reds and Blue Jays there's no debate, they're not exciting at all)  I'd only watch the Brewers for Yelich and Hiura, there's a lot more players on the Braves I'd tune in for. Senzel wasn't doing so hot when he got called up either.  Vlad Jr had the injury and then gets called up to a team no one cares about.  The prospect rankings won't tell us who will be the best MLB hitter of the bunch, all are expected to be very good based on rankings.  Time will tell who will be the best, and everyone will have their own opinions.

I agree with you. Riley is the best. ;)

Thoughts on this kid with respect to playing time, and spot in the order?    Obviously everything is predicated on him hitting.  If he bats .200 he likely goes back down when Inciarte is healthy. 

1) Does he bat in the top half of the order, or somewhere around the 6 or 7 slot? 

2) When Inciarte returns, do you think he can get regular PT over him, or is he destined to be in a platoon type situation?

I'm trying to gauge his value moving forward.  Is he a carrot to dangle to other owners, or is he a guy that has a clear path to PT that I should keep.

7 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Thoughts on this kid with respect to playing time, and spot in the order?    Obviously everything is predicated on him hitting.  If he bats .200 he likely goes back down when Inciarte is healthy. 

1) Does he bat in the top half of the order, or somewhere around the 6 or 7 slot? 

2) When Inciarte returns, do you think he can get regular PT over him, or is he destined to be in a platoon type situation?

I'm trying to gauge his value moving forward.  Is he a carrot to dangle to other owners, or is he a guy that has a clear path to PT that I should keep.

nobody knows man, it's all speculation.

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

This is tough to predict. If he hits the Braves will have to find a spot for him and in reality the only spot available is in the OF and the only 'weak' link is Inciarte. The Braves REALLY value what Inciarte brings to the table defensively and hes won Gold Gloves where Riley has hardly played OF at all. 

Like you said, this is predicated on him hitting but I think its also predicated on him playing at least passable defense in LF. I picked him up but I honestly dont know how this will shake out, none of us do. Maybe someone else will get hurt and make the decision easier.

Who is his best comp from a hitting perspective?

59 minutes ago, RoadApple said:

This is tough to predict. If he hits the Braves will have to find a spot for him and in reality the only spot available is in the OF and the only 'weak' link is Inciarte. The Braves REALLY value what Inciarte brings to the table defensively and hes won Gold Gloves where Riley has hardly played OF at all. 

Like you said, this is predicated on him hitting but I think its also predicated on him playing at least passable defense in LF. I picked him up but I honestly dont know how this will shake out, none of us do. Maybe someone else will get hurt and make the decision easier.

I have no idea about Riley, but with the more downs than ups of the recently called up highly touted prospects, seems like the under is the way to go on most of these bets. 

4 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I mean, I’m excited but no. And not to mention Vlad Jr and Senzel. All 3 better hitting prospects than Riley (no disrespect, he could be great also).

I wasn't thinking of Vlad, just the recent string of callups the past two days. Vlad is definitely tops. I do like Riley more than Hiura even though I know scouting generally has Keston slightly higher. Can't really go wrong with either. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Who is his best comp from a hitting perspective?

The guy currently playing 3B in Hotlanta? Power, decent enough AVG and some walks.

Vlad is the top power prospect. 

Hiura is the top on base, contact prospect.

Senzel is I feel has more power than Hiura at the cost of some contact. 

Riley I feel might have more power than Senzel....but less contact

But what do I know 

4 minutes ago, RBI Sports said:

Vlad is the top power prospect. 

Hiura is the top on base, contact prospect.

Senzel is I feel has more power than Hiura at the cost of some contact. 

Riley I feel might have more power than Senzel....but less contact

But what do I know 

Totally agree.  I would rank Riley below those 3.  But can’t go wrong with any of them.  All are future stars. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dicka24 said:

I think it's Riley's job to lose now. He'll have to be really bad to lose that job.  I also think Inciarte will miss a good amount of time.  If he was only expected to miss the minimum, or if they felt Inciarte should be starting in LF over Riley, then they would've called up someone else.  

1 hour ago, AnonymousRob said:

I wasn't thinking of Vlad, just the recent string of callups the past two days. Vlad is definitely tops. I do like Riley more than Hiura even though I know scouting generally has Keston slightly higher. Can't really go wrong with either. 

Agreed.  Only thing about Vlad is that he was being drafted early in all leagues. Many expected him to make the team out of ST or be called up after 10 days or whatever it was.  Then he got injured which delayed things.  But Riley was just a stud prospect people were eyeing and snagged up for free.  So fantasy-wise Vlad is a lot different than the others.  If you didn't draft Vlad than you would have no chance to own him, without a trade.  Riley could be the better value considering you didn't have to stash him for a month and a half, didn't have to use a ~4th round pick, and he's joining a team with a much better offense.  All great young players, just can see how Vlad could be overlooked as part of that prospect group (to fantasy owners, different circumstances)