MrBrown

Austin Riley 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Kaii23 said:

Well the original point was to help people to cash in on Riley's amazing first month before he regressed to the point that he was no longer tradeable. Yes, a big reason for my wanting to trade him is because rookies are a, bad risk. May as well try to trade him for some real sustainable value. 

Why do you expect him to regress to such a degree that he wouldn’t even be tradeable?

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Why do you expect him to regress to such a degree that he wouldn’t even be tradeable?

Well technically anyone is tradeable but selling high means making the trade while they're at peak value. If you wait until they start struggling you'll get far less in return. 

2 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

Well technically anyone is tradeable but selling high means making the trade while they're at peak value. If you wait until they start struggling you'll get far less in return. 

Understood.  But wouldn’t your potential trade partners also realize he was bound to slow down at some point?  As he enters the re-adjustment phase?

• Thanks 2

#1 “You can talk about your Psalms and your John 3:16. Well Austin 3:16 says I just whooped your a**.”

Keep slugging young man.  Appreciating these jacks while taking advantage of a buying window.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 6/28/2019 at 5:57 PM, Kaii23 said:

If he drops below say 230ish he'll definitely either get benched or relegated to one side of the plate. The Braves are contenders. They're putting wins before development this year. 

lol.... 6 HRs, 21 Runs, 16 RBIs....IN THE MONTH OF JUNE

• Like 4

4 hours ago, arthurpete said:

lol.... 6 HRs, 21 Runs, 16 RBIs....IN THE MONTH OF JUNE

Lol... Sell. Sell. Sell. Before he becomes Jorge Soler. 56:8 k:bb.. 

Edited by Kaii23
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Kaii23 said:

Lol... Sell. Sell. Sell. Before he becomes Jorge Soler. 56:8 k:bb.. 

Lol... Keep, Keep, Keep.  Before you end up regretting that you sold.  14 HRs and 37 RBIs in 42 Games...

6 hours ago, cizastro said:

The announcer said “longest home run I’ve ever seen hit here”.  Statcast has it at 413 feet?

What do people think was the true distance?  Longest HRs this season: Nomar Mazara 505, Ian Desmond 486, Nomar Mazara 482

2 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

The announcer said “longest home run I’ve ever seen hit here”.  Statcast has it at 413 feet?

What do people think was the true distance?  Longest HRs this season: Nomar Mazara 505, Ian Desmond 486, Nomar Mazara 482

Statcast glitch, gotta be. 

I've never seen so many people whine and cry and fret over a player who got them 32/14/37 in his first 160 MLABs and didn't pay a nickle for him

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

I've never seen so many people whine and cry and fret over a player who got them 32/14/37 in his first 160 MLABs and didn't pay a nickle for him

Its unsustainable. Unless he cuts down on his K's he'll end up hitting 220. He'll give you a few good games here and there. But they'll likely be surrounded by a lot of 0-fors... I predict that he'll see the minors again before the end of the year. 

Edited by Kaii23
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

Its unsustainable. Unless he cuts down on his K's he'll end up hitting 220. 

Freddy won't let that happen under his watch, he will coach his teammate up

• Haha 1

It's funny because were I posting often in this thread, I'd be on the side of the believers and the faithful, but I'm in a keeper situation where Riley won't be around next year and I can't sell this guy to save my life. Perhaps my asking price is too high, but nobody is biting whatsoever. I need this recent surge to continue for a week.

4 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

It's funny because were I posting often in this thread, I'd be on the side of the believers and the faithful, but I'm in a keeper situation where Riley won't be around next year and I can't sell this guy to save my life. Perhaps my asking price is too high, but nobody is biting whatsoever. I need this recent surge to continue for a week.

That doesn't make much sense.  I had an owner approach me about him and managed to get (what I thought) was good value back.  I'd actually love to have him back at some point though.

1 minute ago, KilloWertz said:

That doesn't make much sense.  

I'm probably not keeping him at this rate, but in a keeper league he still has pretty good value for his draft cost+potential alone. He's a bench piece for me now, and I feel like he's gotta be more valuable to someone else who could actually play him and keep him. 

He's hit less line drives this month so far and more fly balls. His hard hit rate, while still great, has dipped about 10%. It's weird that he's hitting more balls to center field than he ever did in the minors, where he was very much a pull-hitter. Almost half his balls are going to center this year... is that a normal thing when guys come up and adjust?

18 minutes ago, Macgregor said:

I'm probably not keeping him at this rate, but in a keeper league he still has pretty good value for his draft cost+potential alone. He's a bench piece for me now, and I feel like he's gotta be more valuable to someone else who could actually play him and keep him. 

He's hit less line drives this month so far and more fly balls. His hard hit rate, while still great, has dipped about 10%. It's weird that he's hitting more balls to center field than he ever did in the minors, where he was very much a pull-hitter. Almost half his balls are going to center this year... is that a normal thing when guys come up and adjust?

This is a good thing. 

He's showing he's willing to let the ball travel deep and trust his hands.   It'll give him more time to read pitches.   Long-term it's great to see. 

But no,  it's not normal for a kid to mechanically adjust this quickly.

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Macgregor said:

You waited too late. He lost his shine. Should have traded while he was still hitting 300.

• Like 1

He was drafted in the 100th round 4 years ago?? How exactly does someone become a baseball scout?

3 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

He was drafted in the 100th round 4 years ago?? How exactly does someone become a baseball scout?

What are you talking about? He was drafted 41st overall. And there aren’t 100 rounds.

22 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

What are you talking about? He was drafted 41st overall. And there aren’t 100 rounds.

Youre right...my appologies, but on Riley's player profile on yahoo...game log...full schedule....it definately says 100th round by Atlanta braves 2015.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/10420/gamelog/

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Youre right...my appologies, but on Riley's player profile on yahoo...game log...full schedule....it definately says 100th round by Atlanta braves 2015.

https://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/10420/gamelog/

Ha that’s crazy. Only 40 rounds, teams used to be able to keep going (and others could pass) but they changed that. Not sure when. 

RHP with good sliders eat Riley alive.  He'll swing at almost all of them.  

Maybe Dansby can give him a tip, or he can get some offseason instructs from Chipper.  Watching him flail away tonight at those low sliders that fade out of the zone reminded me a lot of Dansby the last couple of years.