MrBrown

Austin Riley 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Kaii23 said:

That's a wrap on Riley's full time gig. Inceierte is a huge upgrade over him at this point. Best he can hope for is a platoon.. More than likely he'll be demoted tho. 

A huge DEFENSIVE upgrade. Inciarte is less than average career hitter (93 wRC+). He’s not good. The problem is Acuna has been handling CF and he’s not quite up to par. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A huge DEFENSIVE upgrade. Inciarte is less than average career hitter (93 wRC+). He’s not good. The problem is Acuna has been handling CF and he’s not quite up to par. 

Career 286 BA, 25 or so steals a year, and superior defense.. He's gonna play. 

Edited by Kaii23
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, BMcP said:

“He’s going through some growing pains right now,” Braves manager Brian Snitker said. “They have video on him and he’s working and it’s probably as much a mental thing as anything else; just staying with his approach and the confidence in what he’s got going on.”

 

Video? What is it a 30 second tape of him just whiffing at everything? I don't think it takes much video analysis to figure out the guy swings and misses at anything that isn't a fastball.

 

Per statcast:

48% whiff on breaking balls

53% whiff on offspeed

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sportsfreak2744 said:

 

Video? What is it a 30 second tape of him just whiffing at everything? I don't think it takes much video analysis to figure out the guy swings and misses at anything that isn't a fastball.

 

Per statcast:

48% whiff on breaking balls

53% whiff on offspeed

 

 

Yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like Riley is still the starter. In the lineup tonight and these were Snitker's comments about Inciarte.

The Braves’ plan, which remains fluid, is to have Inciarte as the fourth outfielder. Inciarte could also provide value as a late-inning defensive substitute and pinch-runner. For now, the Braves will employ a seven-man bullpen and deeper bench.

“Just filling in,” manager Brian Snitker said. “We’ll play him (Thursday), at some point give Ronald a day off. Gave Austin a day off (Thursday). I’m not going to feel like I’m forced to get him in. We’ll see how it works out.”

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Looks like Riley is still the starter. In the lineup tonight and these were Snitker's comments about Inciarte.

The Braves’ plan, which remains fluid, is to have Inciarte as the fourth outfielder. Inciarte could also provide value as a late-inning defensive substitute and pinch-runner. For now, the Braves will employ a seven-man bullpen and deeper bench.

“Just filling in,” manager Brian Snitker said. “We’ll play him (Thursday), at some point give Ronald a day off. Gave Austin a day off (Thursday). I’m not going to feel like I’m forced to get him in. We’ll see how it works out.”

He's giving Riley a lot of rope. So he can hang himself. Once his average hits 220 in a few weeks benching or demoting him won't be a controversial decision. It'll just be common sense. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hits last night, including a double to center on a 3-0 count. No strikeouts.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

 

2 hits last night, including a double to center on a 3-0 count. No strikeouts.

 


Good to see. I keep harping on it, but PATIENCE is needed with some of these guys. NO, Riley is never going to have the David Fletcher contact rate, but I think he is still a fantastic long term prospect. I do like Atlanta giving him some days off now, think they should have been giving him breathers all along, especially against the Degroms, Maxs and Nolas of the world. 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right.  I wasn’t shocked or even disappointed to see him get a blow against Strasburg.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Another 0-fer with 3 Ks. 👎 

 

Disappointing Ill admit, but for dynasty leaguers, just chill. For redraft guys, dump him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/17/2019 at 6:20 PM, BMcP said:

Thank you for the response.  I appreciate the context.  If it’s a fantasy-specific question, I would highly recommend just replacing him with one of those 15-16 3Bs you referenced (you either have one or can probably find one), and giving him some time on the bench to counter-adjust.  He really should not have been expected to complete those counter-adjustments in such a short period, as you alluded to earlier.

He's been pretty much Renato Nunez for re-draft purposes. He's more talented, but less polished. Anywhere Nunez is owned, he should i'd think ATM? When people talk about regression. Seems like its only about BA, but it's really not. The HR rate becomes more sporadic too.

 Albies didn't ever really get out of his rut down the stretch last year. I'll be reinvesting in him for 2020, just not super optimistic for what these last 2 months hold. Baseball doesn't really give players time to re-boot themselves mentally. It's something players have to learn how to adapt on the fly and vets are more adept at this then rookies. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Braves' Austin Riley: Splitting time with Inciarte
 
3 hrs ago | by RotoWire Staff

Riley is not in Wednesday's lineup against the Royals.

Since Ender Inciarte was activated from the injured list last week, Riley has sat three of six games. It's a tricky situation for the Braves, because they would like to allow their young slugger to work through some adjustments at the plate (hitting .172 with a 41.3 percent strikeout rate in July), but they are also trying to secure a top seed in the NL playoffs. Inciarte is starting in center field, hitting eighth.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Is there any silver lining with Riley? Inconsistent playing time and striking out a ton. 

na he'll be working at lowes soon

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sitting again today, in favor of Inciarte. Despite the obvious nature of his swing. I can't seem to be able to cut Riley for the likes of someone like Justin Smoak, and continue to let his upside sit on the bench. I don't know why I presume his bat is going to suddenly erupt. Almost wish the Braves would send him down to make the decision for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Sitting again today, in favor of Inciarte. Despite the obvious nature of his swing. I can't seem to be able to cut Riley for the likes of someone like Justin Smoak, and continue to let his upside sit on the bench. I don't know why I presume his bat is going to suddenly erupt. Almost wish the Braves would send him down to make the decision for me.

 

If it's a redraft league I would say it's a pretty safe drop.  If you're in a keeper no way you cut bait.  He just needs to work on adjusting to breaking stuff more and improve his plate discipline.  I do think getting reps in AAA may be the best thing for him as opposed to just rotting on the bench here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cizastro said:

 

If it's a redraft league I would say it's a pretty safe drop.  If you're in a keeper no way you cut bait.  He just needs to work on adjusting to breaking stuff more and improve his plate discipline.  I do think getting reps in AAA may be the best thing for him as opposed to just rotting on the bench here. 

For reference, i traded him awhile ago in a 12 team keep 5.  The new owner dropped him and hes been on waivers for a week.  Im always intrigued by expertise and advice on here and come for the information,not the bickering. That said,am i too far off in thinking this guy is projecting towards neing Miguel sano with a little better average and a little less power?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Markakis and Swanson headed to the IL today, yet they roll out Duvall and bench Riley for the 3rd straight game.  I don't like to make conclusions this close to the trade deadline, but it looks his role will be limited in the 2nd half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2019 at 6:17 PM, Kaii23 said:

Not today, but by early August. The Braves are contenders. You think they'll have someone in their lineup full time hitting in the low 200's? Doubt it. He'll either be a platoon bench player or they'll send him back down for development. 

Too soon to note he’s still up with the team?  If so, I can give it another week.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Too soon to note he’s still up with the team?  If so, I can give it another week.

Semantics. Pretty much everyone has accepted the fact that Riley is trash this year and I was correct when I implored everyone to sell him off a few months ago. The fact that he's languishing away on the bench with a laughable 179 average with 2 homers in the past month instead of being back in the minors is immaterial. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.