smeeze

Matt Breida 2019 Outlook

So I had a dream that I visually saw Tevin Coleman tearing his ACL early in September, right as i sat down to start one of my drafts- like Christopher Walken Dead Zone type of stuff.     Very vivid, in the dream I believed it.   I still didnt draft Matt Breida.   

• Haha 4

8-2-19  ESPN's Nick Wagoner said Matt Breida has been used "all over the place" at 49ers training camp.

Breida has taken advantage of Jerick McKinnon's continued absence, impressing in practice with his dual rushing and receiving ability. The versatile 24-year-old has even seen work as a kick returner. Kyle Shanahan favorite Tevin Coleman is still the early favorite to lead San Francisco's backfield, though Breida, who ranked fourth in the league in yards per carry last year (5.3), doesn't seem to be going away.

He's pretty low on my draft list, but won't be off it. I could see a 1a/1b thing for SF.

I drafted Tevin Coleman in a draft I had yesterday but I already knew that Breida, if he stays healthy (big "if" with him), is going to play a role and it could even be an even split committee.  Shanahan seems to favor Coleman likely because he's familiar with him but it's interesting that Breida is being used all over.   

🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

o/u on games missed: 5.5

o/u on total TDs: 4.5

o/u on touches: 99.5

this is for the full slate of 17 tackle foosball games the Santa Clara Gold Miners are scheduled to participate in. 

🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

o/u on games missed: 5.5

o/u on total TDs: 4.5

o/u on touches: 99.5

this is for the full slate of 17 tackle foosball games the Santa Clara Gold Miners are scheduled to participate in. 

🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈🏈

???

Breida isn’t injury prone. He played injured last year, and it is a very bad narrative. 

Average RB misses 3 games per year.

Dalvin Cook has played in 15/32 games.

Lev Bell has played in 62/96 games.

Leonard Fournette has played in 21/32 games.

Aaron Jones has played in 24/32 games.

Zeke has played in 40/48 games.

Tevin Coleman has played in 56/64.

Jerick McKinnon has played in 58/80.

Matt Breida has played in 30/32, a better rate than any of the above players, and 4 games better than league average at the position.

Edited by elroypedro
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, elroypedro said:

???

Breida isn’t injury prone. He played injured last year, and it is a very bad narrative. 

Matt Breida has played in 30/32, a better rate than any of the above players, and 4 games better than league average at the position.

games missed are not only via injury ... "healthy scratch" is legit up in that line. 

i stand by the lines i set. 

thank you for your concern. 

Breida is never going to be a bellcow back because of his size but I think he can carve out a good career as a solid committee back or passing down back provided he stays healthy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

17 tackle foosball games the Santa Clara Gold Miners are scheduled to participate in. 

You think they'll make the playoffs then?

• Haha 1

Just now, Boudewijn said:

You think they'll make the playoffs then?

good snag ... i actually meant the full season - mah badski, folks  :o

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

good snag ... i actually meant the full season - mah badski, folks  :o

Breida will be a decent flex option

If coleman gets hurt it is ALL ABOARD!

Glad to see you back for another year

11 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Breida will be a decent flex option

If coleman gets hurt it is ALL ABOARD!

Glad to see you back for another year

no one is saying Breida sucks, or is injury prone, etc ... lines are set to encourage wagering, and, apparently, i have a few hooks here B)

GOOD TO BE BACK, CLEATS! WAIT 'TIL YA SEE THE LINES I SET FOR DH ...

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled Breida banter)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

games missed are not only via injury ... "healthy scratch" is legit up in that line. 

i stand by the lines i set. 

thank you for your concern. 

There is a 0.0% chance that Matt Breida will ever be a healthy scratch. He's a big part of that offense. Do we have to worry about Tarik Cohen being a healthy scratch too? 

1 hour ago, ajs723 said:

There is a 0.0% chance that Matt Breida will ever be a healthy scratch. He's a big part of that offense. Do we have to worry about Tarik Cohen being a healthy scratch too? 

ok, lemme explain, again ...

"creating a line is done to encourage wagering"

my blurb about "healthy scratch" was in direct response to the gent who tripped all over himself pointing out that Breida is, indeed, not injury prone. 

now, read my post again ...

did i say he was (injury prone)?

did i say he is in danger of being a healthy scratch on gameday?

go ahead ... i'll give ya some time -

*Jeopardy Theme *

ok, now that we can clearly see that i never made those statements, lemme re-emphasize ...

"a line is created to stimulate wagering"

... and another one on the hook 🐠

2 hours ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

ok, lemme explain, again ...

"creating a line is done to encourage wagering"

my blurb about "healthy scratch" was in direct response to the gent who tripped all over himself pointing out that Breida is, indeed, not injury prone. 

now, read my post again ...

did i say he was (injury prone)?

did i say he is in danger of being a healthy scratch on gameday?

go ahead ... i'll give ya some time -

*Jeopardy Theme *

ok, now that we can clearly see that i never made those statements, lemme re-emphasize ...

"a line is created to stimulate wagering"

... and another one on the hook 🐠

I guess I'm confused. I get the idea of setting a line to encourage wagering, but you DID bring up the idea of healthy scratches. 

If the line is set at a certain number because the public is dumb, that's one thing. But this is a fantasy forum. Not a setting over/under gambling lines forum. 

We should be talking about Breida's fantasy relevance. As has been pointed out, he's not injury prone, and will be a big piece of this offense.

I have no idea what his over under for games played should be, but I know his ADP is too low. 

20 hours ago, elroypedro said:

???

If you are counting the games that Breida started, reinjured himself after a couple of plays, then sat out the rest of the game, and you are, well then go ahead and hang your head in shame.

5 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you are counting the games that Breida started, reinjured himself after a couple of plays, then sat out the rest of the game, and you are, well then go ahead and hang your head in shame.

He's been in the league for 2 seasons. He has a minor shoulder injury, and a minor ankle injury. As far as I remember, those are his only noteworthy injuries. That's actually really good for an NFL RB. 

You can say every RB is injury prone, and you're probably right. The position leads to injuries. But saying that Breida is specifically injury prone, relative to other RBs, is objectively false. 

I am not going to repost Breida's game logs for the 2018 season, folks can go back and look at them for themselves.  But if they do, they will see that Breida was injured in-game and unable continue four times and he was completely inactive for a couple of more.

The truth is he suffered a high ankle sprain early on and tried to play through it.  It really didn't work.

10 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

I am not going to repost Breida's game logs for the 2018 season, folks can go back and look at them for themselves.  But if they do, they will see that Breida was injured in-game and unable continue four times and he was completely inactive for a couple of more.

The truth is he suffered a high ankle sprain early on and tried to play through it.  It really didn't work.

So an NFL RB sprained his ankle. He then attempted to play through it, and missed a couple games. 

And your conclusion is that the guy is soft, or frail. Sounds like he's a tough SOB, who had one injury, while, ya know, playing RB in the NFL. 

"Injury prone" is not a reason to stay away from Matt Breida. 

Breida goes well beyond injury prone.  He was flat-out a walking injury last season.  You probably did not have him on your fantasy team last year, I did.  I suffered through nearly every 49er game.  If you are looking at his year-end stats and his ypc, you are missing a huge part of the picture.

2 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Breida goes well beyond injury prone.  He was flat-out a walking injury last season.  You probably did not have him on your fantasy team last year, I did.  I suffered through nearly every 49er game.  If you are looking at his year-end stats and his ypc, you are missing a huge part of the picture.

Yah, agree here.  I had him last year, and I'm happy I did, to an extent.  I mean, he was free and I started him in his one monster game (think it was against the Lions) where he had a long TD run.  

Outside of that, very brittle, hardly started him.  Even if there are a rash of injuries, hard to see him carrying the load for even a single game.  I remember Mostert coming into that offense and looking great.  He could maybe fill a Tarik Cohen type of role and provide a little value in that sense.  

But for the most part, I'll pass on Breida.  I'm sure he'll be available on the wire if you want him.  

3 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

Actually, they won't: http://www.nfl.com/player/mattbreida/2558918/gamelogs  He missed exactly 1 game.

In fairness, the game before that he only had 5 carries, and had only 4 in a pathetic showing Week 16, and the guy just does not freaking score. But the whole injury prone bit just doesn't hold up at all. Even if he does come out here and there, he averaged over 10 carries per game. Not great, but nobody is expecting him to be a "bell cow" back. Then again IMO it's foolish to think Coleman will either.

It will be interesting to see how their RB situation shakes out. IMO it looks similar to a Freeman/Coleman thing like with the Falcons.

54 minutes ago, bomont said:

Actually, they won't: http://www.nfl.com/player/mattbreida/2558918/gamelogs  He missed exactly 1 game.

In fairness, the game before that he only had 5 carries, and had only 4 in a pathetic showing Week 16, and the guy just does not freaking score. But the whole injury prone bit just doesn't hold up at all. Even if he does come out here and there, he averaged over 10 carries per game. Not great, but nobody is expecting him to be a "bell cow" back. Then again IMO it's foolish to think Coleman will either.

It will be interesting to see how their RB situation shakes out. IMO it looks similar to a Freeman/Coleman thing like with the Falcons.

C'mon man. An NFL player had one injury. He's clearly injury prone. Plus, he plays running back. Those guys never have one injury. Guy must be made of glass. Such a shame. 

• Like 1

Who said Coleman is going to be the clear starter? The first years of his career coleman was the synonym for COP back and last year he had the chance to be the lead back and lost touches against a mediocre ito smith.

And if there is one man who knows how good Tevin Coleman is in the „Tevin Coleman“-role, its Shanahan.

Breida looked great at times when healthy last year, and he even looked pretty good at times when he wasn't healthy, trying to gut out that ankle injury week after week. He's also the only one of San Fran's RB trio that has ever played a game for the team, whatever that's worth.

That said, there is just such a jumble in that backfield that it's difficult to be too optimistic on projections for any of them. At Breida's late 12th round price tag, though, I'd be happy to throw him on the end of my bench and hope he can carve out some value.