Sign in to follow this  
kidtwentytwo

Biggest Gas Can in the Majors?

3 minutes ago, tuesdays said:

Don’t count out the Tigers

Ryan Carpenter was a close to being on top 10 list 

• Like 2

Remember when Straily was being hyped as a future Cy Young winner by a certain member of this board?  Still makes me laugh.

Corbin Burnes deserves a mention.  14 HR in 31 IP.  Rivals Brian Matusz's legendary gas can season in 2011 where he gave up 18 bombs in 49 2/3 innings.

Edited by mjk356
  • Haha 3

Freddy Peralta but one day he will be a top 5 pitcher.

With the premium on velocity, spin rate and quality of stuff now, it seems like the true gas cans are becoming more rare.  I fondly remember the days where guys like Carlos Silva, Josh Towers, Mark Redman and Jeremy Sowers were trotted out regularly.  It's sad that some of the current gas cans (i.e. Giolito in 2018) have nasty stuff that allows them to immediately improve.  Seeing guys like Silva and Redman out there was a real treat if you have a sick sense of humor.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, mjk356 said:

Remember when Straily was being hyped as a future Cy Young winner by a certain member of this board?  Still makes me laugh.

Corbin Burnes deserves a mention.  14 HR in 31 IP.  Rivals Brian Matusz's legendary gas can season in 2011 where he gave up 18 bombs in 49 2/3 innings.

David Hess has given up 17 homers only in 45.1 innings so far this year. 

And he's in Coors tomorrow. 

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Ryan Carpenter was a close to being on top 10 list 

No love for your guy LeBlanc? I almost mentioned him.

5 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

AJ Minter this season. He is the king for the 0.1 inning 54.00 ERA outing. 

“Pro tip: your ratios never look ugly if you simply don’t get that one out” - Trevor Rosenthal 

(seriously look at his game log to start the year. Simply incredible. I had a Chris Davis hit or Rosenthal recorded out happens first pool)

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

No love for your guy LeBlanc? I almost mentioned him.

He’s in top 20 for sure.  Trending towards top 10 swiftly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjk356 said:

With the premium on velocity, spin rate and quality of stuff now, it seems like the true gas cans are becoming more rare.  I fondly remember the days where guys like Carlos Silva, Josh Towers, Mark Redman and Jeremy Sowers were trotted out regularly.  It's sad that some of the current gas cans (i.e. Giolito in 2018) have nasty stuff that allows them to immediately improve.  Seeing guys like Silva and Redman out there was a real treat if you have a sick sense of humor.

Hahaha some good throw back names.  Those guys were the classic “THEY CAN EAT INNINGS!” type arms.  

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Hahaha some good throw back names.  Those guys were the classic “THEY CAN EAT INNINGS!” type arms.  

Haha yeah.  Nick Blackburn was another classic "eat some innings" guy.  I love the philosophy of, "Hey, he may be atrocious, but he'll go out there 30 times a year and suck.  There's value in that."

Mike Pelfrey. The only guy that would consistently be on the wire in my AL-Only league despite having a 2 start week. And somehow managed to get 2 teams from the same division to fork over contracts for a reason I've yet to pinpoint 

3 hours ago, mjk356 said:

Haha yeah.  Nick Blackburn was another classic "eat some innings" guy.  I love the philosophy of, "Hey, he may be atrocious, but he'll go out there 30 times a year and suck.  There's value in that."

Fun fact: Nick Blackburn never struck out 100 batters in any MLB season despite topping 190 innings twice, and his career best h/9 was 10.4. His career best k/9 in any MLB season with more than 12 IP was 4.6 (career 4.3). He would have had to pitch more than 12,000 innings to approach Ryan's career K record...that's 60 seasons averaging 200 IP. Lol. Dear heavens...can't make this stuff up. 

• Haha 2

Of the supposed top pitchers, Thor, Darvish and Archer

51 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Pelfrey is a good one.  

Two of my favorites:  Joe Saunders and Joe Blanton.  

Joe Nobodies.

12 hours ago, pushaZ said:

Freddy Peralta but one day he will be a top 5 pitcher.

Dude needs some control and a decent 3rd pitch

3 hours ago, phillyphan21 said:

How dare you. Joe Blanton is a legend. 

In what?  Calves circumference leagues?

• Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Phillies fan, picked up the win and hit a home run in game four of the '08 World Series. Dude never has to buy his own drinks in Philly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

Him and Mark Prior are locks for the first two picks. 

• Like 1

Just now, LivingOnTheEdge said:

Edwin Jackson (TOR) AINEC!

Edwin Jackson at Coors is exempt from meat pipers daily top 10.  He is not immune to an induction into the piper hall of fame though.  Dude blows hard.  

• Haha 1

On 5/25/2019 at 8:42 PM, mjk356 said:

Oh my god. The Straily pimping debacle was what I was literally coming in here to post about. Lol