I was wrong on Kris Benson

Dinelson Lamet 2019 Outlook

If this guy didn’t give up any home runs he would be the best pitcher in the league.

• Like 1

ST. Stevens assessment hasn't really inspired much confidence with me for Lamet going forward. Especially with juiced balls and relying so heavily on the FB which I don't think he had amazing control with pre injury either. Doesn't throw many other types of putches either apparently.

I'm holding for the next few starts, see what happens. A lot of us might be able to use the Ks and write off a poor ERA/WHIP, sure most of us have other SPs this seasons who've been disappointing or giving up some runs.

What we have seen is what he was before TJ.  It is not bad by any means but it is probably his ceiling this season.  Command is not there. 

Ks and WHIP should be solid.

2 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Looking at last nights chart:

FA- sat 96 MPH and touched 98, solid vertical actions but command is not super strong (yet, at least) under 60% strike rate with 4 whiffs--tons of balls right in the meat area of the dish according to his zone plots.

SL- this is a heck of a pitch, sits 86 MPH, threw 32--23 strikes with 20 hacks and 10 whiffs! Very nice dive/dart movements.

CH- 1 lousy change at exact speed as SL...

I have not charted his other starts, so not sure if he goes deeper than the 2 pitches?

The command is not super strong yet, but I am not convinced it will ever even be good this year. That’s the turn off about Lamet. Everyone knows how good his stuff is. The question is him throwing it where he wants. That’s what his weakness is in his career so far.

Edited by hangin n wangin

So he's got a 6.30 ERA (bad) yet a SIERA of 3.68 (good), while his FIP sits at 5.80 (bad) and xFIP is 4.25 (bad)

SIERA is probably the one I understand the the least - how does it vary so much from everything else?

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

So he's got a 6.30 ERA (bad) yet a SIERA of 3.68 (good), while his FIP sits at 5.80 (bad) and xFIP is 4.25 (bad)

SIERA is probably the one I understand the the least - how does it vary so much from everything else?

He's pitched 10 innings.  You really shouldn't even bother looking at ERA estimators in that small of a sample.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

He's pitched 10 innings.  You really shouldn't even bother looking at ERA estimators in that small of a sample.

I'm not putting any stock in it, I'm just wondering how it's so different from the rest

7 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I'm not putting any stock in it, I'm just wondering how it's so different from the rest

Unlike FIP/xFIP, SIERA focuses closely on the quality and nature of balls in play.  SIERA rates strikeouts more highly as strikeout artists tend to generate weaker contact, for example.

Edited by BMcP
  • Like 1

The thing that I like about his start last night was how he bounced back after giving up a 3-run jack in the top of the first. Over the next four innings, he allowed four baserunners and a run. I'm definitely holding and am not really disappointed by his first two starts after coming off TJS. My expectations weren't very high to start with. 

• Like 2

whats worth mentioning is that after he got the 1st out in the 1st, he gave up a double, then there was about a 15 min game delay (umpire injury) and then he walked Freeman right after and Donaldson made him pay

• Like 2

His first two starts were against the Dodgers and the Braves. Aside from that first inning against the Braves he’s looked pretty damn good. Reached 86 pitches last start which is promising. He’s got some solid matchups coming up too where we should see a good showcasing of his skills.

• Like 1

He's pretty much pitching how I expected him to. Kind of like a bozo. Realistically, he probably could be a drop for people with good staffs or need help elsewhere, but I still want to see more. He has too lively of an arm for me to give up on him after 3 starts.

Edited by hangin n wangin

7 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

He's pretty much pitching how I expected him to. Kind of like a bozo. Realistically, he probably is a drop for people with good staffs, but I still want to see more. He has too lively of an arm for me to give up on him after 3 starts.

I am holding too, it's hard to find his K level on waivers. Hard to expect much with his ratios though.

6 minutes ago, seditious3 said:

Why was he pulled tonight after 4 innings and 80 pitches, up 4-2?   Pitch count?

Yeah. He hasn’t gone more than 85 pitches this year.

46 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

As a Lamet owner this kind of what I expected but it still sucks. I was thinking they would try to stretch him out to 90 by now. 

40 minutes ago, 20Duval904 said:

He would have been facing the pitcher to start the fifth too, clearly being babied. 

Two starts next week, first up is the Orioles....holding for one more week in a 12 teamer....Nice K potential but I'm going to need to start seeing some W's to hold longer. 

• Like 2

Like him although he is no bueno in qs leagues unless you need bulk innings

12 hours ago, seditious3 said:

Why was he pulled tonight after 4 innings and 80 pitches, up 4-2?   Pitch count?

Usually after an injury and a year and a half away from facing major league hitters, ball clubs don't want want their pitchers throwing 100+ pitches right out of the gate because of common sense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, papaphunk said:

Two starts next week, first up is the Orioles....holding for one more week in a 12 teamer....Nice K potential but I'm going to need to start seeing some W's to hold longer. 

That works well enough for daily leagues but for weekly lineup ppl, that other start is @LAD. The expected matchup is another pitcher being babied (Ross Stripling) who is also battling neck stiffness issues but the LAD lineup is enough for me to not start him next week. Hope to regret it cuz I need him down the stretch.

5 hours ago, papaphunk said:

Padres only play 6 games, so I doubt he gets two starts, they have been going 6 man rotation since the break

1 minute ago, Golden Spikes said:

Padres only play 6 games, so I doubt he gets two starts, they have been going 6 man rotation since the break

Dont mind him missing LAD. 😂