Whitecloud0101

Kalen Ballage 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I suggest watching a game or two. It's not as though this team was a juggernaut to start with. I imagine you took Ballage because he has a chance to get a significant number of carries, which is why you draft any RB from any team.

We have no idea if he's the RB2. Maybe he's 1b. No one knows. Drake has shown time after time (or his coaches have shown) that he can't be counted on for a full workload. 

AFAIK that has not changed, which brings us back to the reason he was drafted in the first place. Until some actual tape has been laid down there's no reason to abandon your draft strategy before a single down has been played. 

I agree with this... all coaches that have came thru Miami have resisted to throw drake as a bell cow talk all off season was ballage is taking over then drake's being traded to Houston now week before the season drake's the starter??? This is far from shaken out...

I took this guy late as a dart through.  What is the story here? Looks like we’d need a Drake injury to see any relevancy here and even then it’s not an automatic hit because Miami is that bad...

• Like 1

They hate Drake, for whatever reason, and this is a throwaway year for Miami.   Ballage is going to get the shot.  They need to know what they have in him before next years draft.  I expect him to be the NO 1 back until he proves what he is.   He has all the physical grades, but we shall see if he works out.   I have him on my bench as a wait and see.

• Like 2

I don’t see Ballage as more than a handcuff for Drake. I drafted both of them and hope Drake runs away with the starting gig so that Ballage becomes droppable when a waiver wire add is needed. Until we see how this plays out though, Ballage is worth rostering. I think he lacks the receiving skills and explosiveness that Drake possesses. They will be needed on this bad Miami team that figures to be playing from behind a lot. 

37 minutes ago, y2jbones said:

I don’t see Ballage as more than a handcuff for Drake. I drafted both of them and hope Drake runs away with the starting gig so that Ballage becomes droppable when a waiver wire add is needed. Until we see how this plays out though, Ballage is worth rostering. I think he lacks the receiving skills and explosiveness that Drake possesses. They will be needed on this bad Miami team that figures to be playing from behind a lot. 

Confession... I'm a bit confused as to why Ballage's ADP is so high on a bad team with a good running back ahead of him. I drafted him because at the end of the auction I didn't know the names. Per usual, I go for ADP bargains and then research them after. Its pure coincidence I drafted Drake (who I also feel bad about.) Worst case scenario is they each get 45 all purpose yards, zero TDs and then I am stuck with both.

What was the hype train that moved Ballage so high up with other more interesting flyers out there like Lesean McCoy, Justice Hill, and Ogunbowale available?

9 minutes ago, GenerallyPoorAdvice said:

Confession... I'm a bit confused as to why Ballage's ADP is so high on a bad team with a good running back ahead of him. I drafted him because at the end of the auction I didn't know the names. Per usual, I go for ADP bargains and then research them after. Its pure coincidence I drafted Drake (who I also feel bad about.) Worst case scenario is they each get 45 all purpose yards, zero TDs and then I am stuck with both.

What was the hype train that moved Ballage so high up with other more interesting flyers out there like Lesean McCoy, Justice Hill, and Ogunbowale available?

There were a series of events that led to Ballage’s adp rise.

He ran with the 1s a lot during camp and then Drake suffered an injury. Word out of their camp was that Ballage consistently did well and the belief was that he could be named the starter.

People believed Drake would be traded to another team since he’s in the last year of his deal and the Dolphins are “tanking”.

With that being said, Drake was not traded. Ballage struggled in week 3 of the preseason and then Tunsil was traded. These things knocked Ballage’s adp back down to my knowledge. On espn, his adp was pretty low when I drafted earlier this week. 

12 minutes ago, GenerallyPoorAdvice said:

I think the hype train went something like this:

-Glowing reviews in training camp

-Split carries with 1st team offense (while Drake was healthy)

-Drake gets injured, uncertain status for week 1

-Ballage looks to have clear shot at starting role (here is where things begin to turn)

-Poor preseason performances, but Dolphins looked pathetic in general 

-Drake recovers sooner than expected

I think he's still a hold in keeper leagues as Drake's contract is up after this year.  If Ballage does well when called upon, he could be in line to be the 2020 starter.  I don't have him in redrafts, but I would probably still hold for a week or two to see what kind of usage he's getting.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 9:34 AM, WEIL3R said:

I think the hype train went something like this:

-Glowing reviews in training camp

-Split carries with 1st team offense (while Drake was healthy)

-Drake gets injured, uncertain status for week 1

-Ballage looks to have clear shot at starting role (here is where things begin to turn)

-Poor preseason performances, but Dolphins looked pathetic in general 

-Drake recovers sooner than expected

I think he's still a hold in keeper leagues as Drake's contract is up after this year.  If Ballage does well when called upon, he could be in line to be the 2020 starter.  I don't have him in redrafts, but I would probably still hold for a week or two to see what kind of usage he's getting.

Id love to hold for a week or two but sitting out two weeks of FA movement while I roster the #2 RB on a team that genuinely might not win a game this year worries me. It also worries me how the back in front of him is referred to as the “passing back” on a team that figures to pass 80% of the time. I got called out for being hasty a few days ago in here suggesting to drop him but I’m really struggling to see the upside currently outside of a Drake trade, and even then I imagine he’ll be a RB3 at best.

I have him on my team, and really have an itching trigger finger to drop this dude.

Just waiting for week 1 to see what his usage is going to be.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, killer carlson said:

You better be in a 30 team league if you're looking at dolphins players and this is coming from a dolphins fan.  

I don't know, I think that in addition to Kenyan Drake and Ballage, DeVante Parker the wr could be a sleeper because Fitz needs someone to pass to when in garbage-time, catch-up mode and Parker is listed as their wr1.

16 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I don't know, I think that in addition to Kenyan Drake and Ballage, DeVante Parker the wr could be a sleeper because Fitz needs someone to pass to when in garbage-time, catch-up mode and Parker is listed as their wr1.

They have 5 backup caliber players starting on the oline and easily some of the worst qbs who will get starts this season.  They're gonna go three and out all game.  Don't expect anyone to have a good season.

Whole team was brutal... and can only get better... 

Edited by hard1

Snaps were 27 to 20 in favor of Drake. Touches were 6 to 6.

Ballage actually had 20 yards on 5 of his touches and had a -8 yard “run” that was actually a pass that was 100% Julian Davenport’s (signed like 7 days ago) fault. All I take from this game is that Miami is terrible and I will not be surprised at all if Drake is traded midseason. Holding Ballage for now with hopes of keeper status.

• Like 1

Easy drop in redraft, this team is an utter failure in all aspects of the game.

• Like 1

This might be short-sighted but I think I'm dropping him this week. I don't want any part of that Dolphins offense. That team looked atrocious. Even in a dynasty (that's where I have him) I don't think he has value, given how bad the Dolphins are and the average span of a RB career in the NFL. 

all depends on length of benches, what you're waiver wire looks like, etc, etc .

1 minute ago, yossarian said:

This might be short-sighted but I think I'm dropping him this week. I don't want any part of that Dolphins offense. That team looked atrocious. Even in a dynasty (that's where I have him) I don't think he has value, given how bad the Dolphins are and the average span of a RB career in the NFL. 

all depends on length of benches, what you're waiver wire looks like, etc, etc .

Nah, not shortsighted. Drop drop drop! Dolphins are puke city

Owning any Miami player could be a disaster this season. I don't see Ballage getting -1 yard every week, but I don't see him being productive week to week. I say stay away.

Drop for what is the real question. I’m sure there are better options for many of you but in deeper leagues he’s better than the deep fodder of Sproles/Yeldon/Armstead/Hilliard etc. There’s a path to him being flex relevant in a Drake trade (which I consider on the table) or injury since there is basically no one behind him on the depth chart. I’m sure Kalen will get his chances.

21 hours ago, Ruut6 said:

Drop for what is the real question. I’m sure there are better options for many of you but in deeper leagues he’s better than the deep fodder of Sproles/Yeldon/Armstead/Hilliard etc. There’s a path to him being flex relevant in a Drake trade (which I consider on the table) or injury since there is basically no one behind him on the depth chart. I’m sure Kalen will get his chances.

Not sure how deep your league is but I'd drop him for somebody like Mostert at this point.