tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Amazing how effective Iglesias has been since he spoke up and his usage has no longer been the equivalent of a kid being blindfolded, spun around and told to hit the piñata at a birthday party 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Amazing how effective Iglesias has been since he spoke up and his usage has no longer been the equivalent of a kid being blindfolded, spun around and told to hit the piñata at a birthday party 

I look forward to him sitting on his butt for 10 days when they don't need him in the 9th for saves opportunity.   Then he'll bitch that they didn't use him enough when he gets whacked around.   Players that speak like this will always speak like this when things don't work out.  Can you imagine if every player had similar complaints and needed to be coddled?   Don't give credibility to foolish and selfish statements...

Edited by knuckleheads

5 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I look forward to him sitting on his butt for 10 days when they don't need him in the 9th for saves opportunity.   Then he'll bitch that they didn't use him enough when he gets whacked around.   Players that speak like this will always speak like this when things don't work out.  Can you imagine if every player had similar complaints and needed to be coddled?   Don't give credibility to foolish and selfish statements...

As I have said before, there' probably a 90% chance that something was said behind closed doors before he said something to the media. That seems to be the case in most of these instances. And this isn't little league or high school sports where you demand a team first mentality. An MLB manager can try, and he may get it in some cases, but the reality is that these are guys with millions of dollars on the line with everything that they do and if they are being misused or put in what they perceive as harms way, they should be saying something. 

So what I'm not going to give credibility to is Bell's foolish, inexperienced managing.

• Like 2

Miguel Castro could be the next closer in Baltimore. Yes I know . Not many save chances there but if he gets some its better than a kick in the a$$

2 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

As I have said before, there' probably a 90% chance that something was said behind closed doors before he said something to the media. That seems to be the case in most of these instances. And this isn't little league or high school sports where you demand a team first mentality. An MLB manager can try, and he may get it in some cases, but the reality is that these are guys with millions of dollars on the line with everything that they do and if they are being misused or put in what they perceive as harms way, they should be saying something. 

So what I'm not going to give credibility to is Bell's foolish, inexperienced managing.

First there is no logic in not being able to pitch in circumstances that are non-save situations. None. He's scapegoating because he can't take responsibility. Second, I don't care if anything was discussed behind closed doors or not. It's irrelevant.  Third, what a wuss to admit you can't be effective when called upon in situations you don't like.  I hope it costs him $$$ when he's negotiating a new contract. Lastly, he'll blow up soon enough with that less than impressive WHIP he's carrying around. We'll see what he says then...boom!!

11 hours ago, mjuevos said:

romo just s--- the bed but theres no other alternatives in mia

Well I  mean there is always Nick Anderson...ERA a lot to be desired but that k/9

12 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

First there is no logic in not being able to pitch in circumstances that are non-save situations.

RP's are all mental cases and then their managers become nuts and of course everybody who follows this thread winds up crazy.

• Haha 2

Since he spoke up to the media, he's been used more in line with what a traditional closer does. There's been no 10 day gap because a save situation hadn't presented itself. He's even been in *gasp* tie games and come out unscathed. 

Will he blow up again? Of course he will, they all do. When it happens, knuckleheads can come back in here and do his little dance about how he'll react and that he should just be an obedient bitch, but as of now the results speak for themselves 

Date
Tm G GS GF CG Rslt Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD)
May 8 to Jun 9, 2019 CIN 12 0 9 0 3-Sep W-L:0-0,Sv:7 1.9 12.1 10 0 0 3 14 0 0 0 49 0.217 0.265 0.239 0.504 0.313 196 69% 16% 20% 0.39   38% 16% 0   2 100% 0 0 0 46 1 0 1 1 0 0 1.45 0.995 4.4 47.95 79
  • Like 1

How do you guys feel about the Braves situation? Like Jackson blew his fifth save yesterday and he hasn’t even been the closer for that long. I haven’t heard anything about switching closers but how much longer can they keep throwing Luke out there if he keeps blowing saves? 

Maybe Minter gets a shot soon?

Anyone think now that Jeffress is performing well/up to speed, the brewers will start going to Hader in the 7th more often? Or will they not fix it if it ain’t broke?

Luke is such a strange case because his peripherals are obscene.  Top 3 XFIP: Barnes 1.52, Hader 1.61, Jackson 1.80

But he’s allowing a BABIP of .375, while Hader is at .184

He’s due to go on a clean run of saves as the BABIP comes back down earth.  But his 2.5 BB rate might go up.  Who knows.

But he’s been a monster on paper, and the Braves are not a stupid organization.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Since he spoke up to the media, he's been used more in line with what a traditional closer does. There's been no 10 day gap because a save situation hadn't presented itself. He's even been in *gasp* tie games and come out unscathed. 

Will he blow up again? Of course he will, they all do. When it happens, knuckleheads can come back in here and do his little dance about how he'll react and that he should just be an obedient bitch, but as of now the results speak for themselves 

Date
Tm G GS GF CG Rslt Dec DR IP H R ER BB SO HR HBP ERA BF BA OBP SLG OPS BAbip Pit Str StL StS GB FB LD PU Unk GSc IR IS SB CS PO AB 2B 3B IBB GDP SF ROE aLI WPA RE24 DFS(DK) DFS(FD)
May 8 to Jun 9, 2019 CIN 12 0 9 0 3-Sep W-L:0-0,Sv:7 1.9 12.1 10 0 0 3 14 0 0 0 49 0.217 0.265 0.239 0.504 0.313 196 69% 16% 20% 0.39   38% 16% 0   2 100% 0 0 0 46 1 0 1 1 0 0 1.45 0.995 4.4 47.95 79

good managers listen to their players and do what's best for the team overall. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Under500Forever said:

How do you guys feel about the Braves situation? Like Jackson blew his fifth save yesterday and he hasn’t even been the closer for that long. I haven’t heard anything about switching closers but how much longer can they keep throwing Luke out there if he keeps blowing saves? 

Maybe Minter gets a shot soon?

Has there been any update on what the plan is with Minter? 

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Has there been any update on what the plan is with Minter? 

Not really. Minter has been pitching well in AAA but no plans to call him up as far as I know. 

Dare I say it, but Anthony Swarzak has been really solid since coming over from SEA. Would it be insane to think he could see some save chances if Jackson continues to have issues here or there?

10 hours ago, motown magic said:

Miguel Castro could be the next closer in Baltimore. Yes I know . Not many save chances there but if he gets some its better than a kick in the a$$

Nothing against you as he did get their last save, but that would be idiotic on their part.  He's been awful this season as a whole, and Armstrong has been really solid since coming to Baltimore.  He got one opportunity, converted it, and that's been it since even though he continues to be by far their best guy out of the guys who have received save chances lately.

In the end, I know it's not a huge concern since they get very few save chances since they win very few games, but it's still pretty stupid that they don't just hand it to Armstrong and see if he can run with the role.

32 minutes ago, nlm said:

Dare I say it, but Anthony Swarzak has been really solid since coming over from SEA. Would it be insane to think he could see some save chances if Jackson continues to have issues here or there?

As someone who follows the Braves quite a bit - I think the only way they take Jackson out of the closer role is via trade - and I think a trade (Will Smith? Shane Greene? Ken Giles?) is pretty likely. Jackson's blown some saves, but he's also looked pretty filthy; I can't see them deciding "we need to take him out of this role" - and turning it over to another guy who more than likely wouldn't be any better (i.e. Swarzark or even AJ Minter again). Not saying it's outside the realm of possibility but I just don't see the Braves going in that direction.

Edited by ranger danger
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ranger danger said:

As someone who follows the Braves quite a bit - I think the only way they take Jackson out of the closer role is via trade - and I think a trade (Will Smith? Shane Greene? Ken Giles?) is pretty likely. Jackson's blown some saves, but he's also looked pretty filthy; I can't see them deciding "we need to take him out of this role" - and turning it over to another guy who more than likely wouldn't be any better (i.e. Swarzark or even AJ Minter again). Not saying it's outside the realm of possibility but I just don't see the Braves going in that direction.

Unless he starts blowing saves more frequently over the next week or two, I would agree here. I don't see him keeping it all season, but he at least has a chance to keep it until they bring somebody else in.  Neither of the other guys mentioned really have done anything to say they deserve to have it rather than Jackson even with the blown saves.

Good to get a fan's input always. I appreciate the feedback. Sometimes it's hard to get a read when you're out of market. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Nothing against you as he did get their last save, but that would be idiotic on their part.  He's been awful this season as a whole, and Armstrong has been really solid since coming to Baltimore.  He got one opportunity, converted it, and that's been it since even though he continues to be by far their best guy out of the guys who have received save chances lately.

In the end, I know it's not a huge concern since they get very few save chances since they win very few games, but it's still pretty stupid that they don't just hand it to Armstrong and see if he can run with the role.

Armstrong had pitched 3/4 games. Likely had the night off.

3 hours ago, nlm said:

Armstrong had pitched 3/4 games. Likely had the night off.

True, it's possible he was unavailable that night, but if he was viewed as the closer, he wouldn't have pitched the very next night in the 7th inning.

3 hours ago, street sharks said:

Giles is kinda flying under the radar. Elite numbers across the board. 5th in the majors in K/9

Traded to Boston. You heard it here first.