2019 June Closer Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raisel Excusias

I mean, neither of them are playing in the majors at the moment ... So ... what we were told WAS true ...

"X-itis" means inflammation of the X.  There I just saved you 200k in student loan debt.

Posted Images

On 6/7/2019 at 11:58 PM, knuckleheads said:

If Kelley can do an adequate job then that's what I would do for this year.

Promptly blew it tonight - I still think LeClerc will be back in the role soon even with his rough past few outings in non-save situations.

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Barnes just blew it in the 9th then brasier took the loss in 11th. It was Workman before Barnes in the 8th.

It's pretty much time to give Workman a real shot.  He's been lights out all season.  Granted we said that about Barnes up until recently, but still, Workman deserves a shot.  They don't have much to lose at this point.

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

Don't really know where to put this.. but watch out for Colin Poche in Tampa Bay. Tons of K's, good control, solid career minor league numbers. Could be a good option for SV+H leagues soon. 

best reliever in high minors last year.  Rough start to the season this year but definitely a good player to watch going forward...

8 hours ago, Baur10 said:

So Wade Davis was just dropped in my league. Am I missing something? I know he just came back but he's still the guy as far as we know right?

I would definitely snatch him

3 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

I'm following closely and Barnes blew another save. Still the guy?

Still the best XFIP of any relief pitcher in baseball, now 1.60 to Hader’s 1.61.

HR/FB is 33.3%, unfortunately.  You’d think that would be the worst but Corbin Burnes and Anthony Swarzak got him beat.

Much like Luke Jackson with the .375 BABIP, that HR/FB figures to come way down.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Still the best XFIP of any relief pitcher in baseball, now 1.60 to Hader’s 1.61.

HR/FB is 33.3%, unfortunately.  You’d think that would be the worst but Corbin Burnes and Anthony Swarzak got him beat.

Much like Luke Jackson with the .375 BABIP, that HR/FB figures to come way down.

Who cares about an XFIP when you have a 3.8era with same amount of blown saves as saves.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Eddie Mush said:

Who cares about an XFIP when you have a 3.8era with same amount of blown saves as saves.

There is value in looking at numbers that are more predictive of future performance.  Not sure if he has pitched enough innings to get a statistically significant sample size but those types of XFIP, etc. numbers suggest better times are coming and that savvy front offices might be less likely to remove him from the role.

22 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is value in looking at numbers that are more predictive of future performance.  Not sure if he has pitched enough innings to get a statistically significant sample size but those types of XFIP, etc. numbers suggest better times are coming and that savvy front offices might be less likely to remove him from the role.

But sane front offices know better than to do that.  That know far more than a single stat about a pitcher.

You people wonder why I've never been on the Barnes bandwagon?   It is because the pressure does get to him at times.  He is inconsistent under pressure situations.  Like a yo-yo. Sometimes lights out.  Sometimes his lights go out.  He does much better with consistency setting up.  Closing is a game of Russian roulette with him.

And he does better closing when the team is doing well.  But if they are scuffling and need that BIG save to stop the bleeding that is more pressure and that is where he is more likely to wilt like last night when they really really needed the game.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

But sane front offices know better than to do that.  That know far more than a single stat about a pitcher.

You people wonder why I've never been on the Barnes bandwagon?   It is because the pressure does get to him at times.  He is inconsistent under pressure situations.  Like a yo-yo. Sometimes lights out.  Sometimes his lights go out.  He does much better with consistency setting up.  Closing is a game of Russian roulette with him.

Any front office looking only at a single stat is crazy but they should care about the XFIP as part of their multi-faceted evaluation of his pitching.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

Any front office looking only at a single stat is crazy but they should care about the XFIP as part of their multi-faceted evaluation of his pitching.

The Red Sox' Bill James invented sabermetrics and he still works for them to this day.  They look at all that stuff.  But they have learned in recent years to look beyond that too and have said as much.

It is the luxury tax that has kept them hamstrung from getting a legit closer as of yet.  And no, I do NOT mean Kimbrel.  They never wanted him back.  They clearly saw the cracks forming.  If he was dirt cheap they wouldn't mind him in the bullpen but he wasn't.  And they couldn't afford him at his absurd demands given the luxury tax and their downgrade in his future performance estimate.  They hoped either Brazier or Barnes cold hold the fort for the first half then pick someone up at the trade deadline but that obviously hasn't worked out.  They are hoping now to pick up someone along the way probably sooner though they have lost way too many games from lack of same already.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The Red Sox' Bill James invented sabermetrics and he still works for them to this day.  They look at all that stuff.  But they have learned in recent years to look beyond that too and have said as much.

It is the luxury tax that has kept them hamstrung from getting a legit closer as of yet.  And no, I do NOT mean Kimbrel.  They never wanted him back.  They clearly saw the cracks forming.  If he was dirt cheap they wouldn't mind him in the bullpen but he wasn't.  And they couldn't afford him at his absurd demands given the luxury tax and their downgrade in his future performance estimate.  They hoped either Brazier or Barnes cold hold the fort for the first half then pick someone up at the trade deadline but that obviously hasn't worked out.  They are hoping now to pick up someone along the way probably sooner though they have lost way too many games from lack of same already.

Any thought of bringing Eovaldi back as closer this season?  He was lights out in the pen in the playoffs last year.  In short spurts he can dial up 100+.  I know he had a setback recently with his rehab so perhaps sending him to pen could expedite his return so he doesn’t have to get as stretched out. 

5 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Any thought of bringing Eovaldi back as closer this season?  He was lights out in the pen in the playoffs last year.  In short spurts he can dial up 100+.  I know he had a setback recently with his rehab so perhaps sending him to pen could expedite his return so he doesn’t have to get as stretched out. 

No, he was signed as a starter.  And their starters are very very thin.  With Porcello and E-Rod both extremely "erratic" to put it kindly it means only Sale and Price can be counted on.  They need a #3 starter they can count on and need him badly.

But you aren't the first to mention Evoldi being a good fit as a closer.  It's been talked about by fans and announcers etc a lot here.  But he wants to be a starter and signed with the Red Sox because they basically promised him a spot in the rotation to sign.  And the equally pressing need for a stable number three starter is really important right now too.

Of course if he has continued health issues and it would help him physically to just pitch an inning at a time then yeah.  Or if some big trade was made for a starter then maybe.  But if no starters are added this season and he is healthy my guess is he will be starting all season.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Thought this was interesting...

Yep.  Just what I said abut Barnes above too when I talked about why I haven't been on the Barnes bandwagon ever.  Keep him as a set-up guy and he is okay.  But ninth inning pressure has always been his Achilles' heel.

15 hours ago, terminator10 said:

Traded to Boston. You heard it here first.

He might turn into a puddle on the mound under the pressure there.  I think Giles is the type of guy who's best suited for a place like Toronto.

• Thanks 1