2019 June Closer Thread

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Raisel Excusias

I mean, neither of them are playing in the majors at the moment ... So ... what we were told WAS true ...

"X-itis" means inflammation of the X.  There I just saved you 200k in student loan debt.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I just read an article by Richard Justice on MLB.com listing seven impact RPs that could be traded. Six of them were closers. We’ve talked about Smith, Givens, and Giles. But he also lists Vazquez, Hand, and Holland. I assume Bradley or Hirano would be the guy if Holland is dealt. But who is next in line if Hand or Vazquez is dealt? 

https://www.mlb.com/news/relievers-who-could-move-at-the-trade-deadline?partnerId=ed-13933084-1147487903

Hand = Wittgren
Vazquez = Crick

There's also this on Yates: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-padres-could-make-closer-kirby-yates-available/1spr63jyux9kc18namv034x1r2

Out of these three (Hand, Vazquez, Yates) that seem unlikely, I think Vazquez is the most unlikely. I am thinking about speculating on Wittgren and Stammen however, because they could lock down their respective closer roles if those trades happen. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

Hand = Wittgren
Vazquez = Crick

There's also this on Yates: https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-trade-rumors-padres-could-make-closer-kirby-yates-available/1spr63jyux9kc18namv034x1r2

Out of these three (Hand, Vazquez, Yates) that seem unlikely, I think Vazquez is the most unlikely. I am thinking about speculating on Wittgren and Stammen however, because they could lock down their respective closer roles if those trades happen. 

Didn’t Stammen just send 4 balls to the moon the other day?  Has more hits allowed that IP.  I highly doubt he’d lock down anything.  

• Like 1
Just now, JameisofThrones said:

Twins go to May for the save in a one-run game. Allows singles to the first two guys, then gets the next three to lock it down. Interesting....

His strikeout to Edwin was garbage 6 inches off plate.  He’s the type of crap talent that needs calls like that to lock down saves.  I’m not going to think he’ll lock a job down.

• Like 1

Wasn't actually watching the game so just speculation, but the Twins scored three in the eighth to take the lead. Could be that May was already warming to pitch the ninth in anticipation that they would be behind, then Rocco decided to give him a shot since he was already up and hot. I still scooped him up since I'm desperate.

8 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Didn’t Stammen just send 4 balls to the moon the other day?  Has more hits allowed that IP.  I highly doubt he’d lock down anything.  

He's having a rough year sure, but he has a very long track record. You could be right though, he is 35 y/o and 10 years in the MLB. 

35 minutes ago, jseay65 said:

He's having a rough year sure, but he has a very long track record. You could be right though, he is 35 y/o and 10 years in the MLB. 

I could see the Padres selling on Yates.   I think their current 7th inning guy Wingenter profiles as a better closer than Stammen who likely would also be trade bait IMO.  Padres als has Munoz (who dials it in over 100 in the minors) in Triple A as well.  If he gets called up and does well before and if Yates is traded he could be in the picture.  Both Wingenter and Munos have some walk issues though...

1 minute ago, swingbatter said:

does anyone think may could get more save chances if rogers' back stiffness turns into something?   moving parker more to a fireman type role?

Feel like calling Parker a fireman is like calling Archer an archer. 

• Haha 2

Are you guys not even bothering with stashing the next-in-lines that are having horrible years like:

Joe jimenez 5.13 era

Hirano 5.09 era

Bradley 4.76 era

Stammen 4.28 era

do you just stash some of these pitchers and hope they get it together or do you stay away?

The ones that are having a decent year are not usually high k guys so I'm not sure how they would do as closers like biagini, bummer, crick, dyson, wittgren...

So which type are you more likely to go for? The ones that will close for sure or the ones with good numbers?

Edited by pbjfb
15 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Are you guys not even bothering with stashing the next-in-lines that are having horrible years like:

Joe jimenez 5.13 era

Hirano 5.09 era

Bradley 4.76 era

Stammen 4.28 era

do you just stash some of these pitchers and hope they get it together or do you stay away?

The ones that are having a decent year are not usually high k guys so I'm not sure how they would do as closers like biagini, bummer, crick, dyson, wittgren...

So which type are you more likely to go for? The ones that will close for sure or the ones with good numbers?

I always look at the whip,k-rate and k/bb ratios and go with the best guy there.  Especially if obviously better than the competition.  If they have gotten a number of holds recently then that helps a great deal as well.  Having said that it really doesn't work out as much as one would think (or hope).   Nevertheless, it seems the best way to go when all there is to go on is speculation...

Edited by knuckleheads
15 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Iglesias pursuing the most L’s category. 

What was the problem?  Were the Earth, moon and the dog star not in a perfect isosceles triangle? 

Can't expect a guy to pitch in conditions like that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
10 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Don't think Ty Buttcheeks is getting the job anytime soon

Oh crap Robles is already in the game.  This probably won’t end well. 

Edit. K’d Bellinger to escape the 8th. Nice. Let’s see if he can close it out. Would love to see the Angels score 8 runs in the bottom of the inning. 

Edited by Members_Only_76

Robles with a little luck got the 5 out save. Ump was giving him the borderline calls on the outside edge. Also Seager got injured rounding third and would’ve scored if he didn’t pull up. I’ll take it tho. 

40 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

What was the problem?  Were the Earth, moon and the dog star not in a perfect isosceles triangle? 

Can't expect a guy to pitch in conditions like that.

Fantasy experts on here gonna blame the manager again...

On 6/10/2019 at 3:33 PM, street sharks said:

Giles is kinda flying under the radar. Elite numbers across the board. 5th in the majors in K/9

He's in the perfect spot for him.   Low pressure environment. 

On 6/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, terminator10 said:

Traded to Boston. You heard it here first.

Unlike this place. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

I could see the Padres selling on Yates.   I think their current 7th inning guy Wingenter profiles as a better closer than Stammen who likely would also be trade bait IMO.  Padres als has Munoz (who dials it in over 100 in the minors) in Triple A as well.  If he gets called up and does well before and if Yates is traded he could be in the picture.  Both Wingenter and Munos have some walk issues though...

Your last sentence is spot on.  Both are wild. 

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Joe jimenez 5.13 era

Hirano 5.09 era

Bradley 4.76 era

Stammen 4.28 era

In SF Dyson is the horse I'm backing.  However a savy team should get him along with Smith when they deal with SF.

3 hours ago, pbjfb said:

Joe jimenez 5.13 era

Hirano 5.09 era

Bradley 4.76 era

Stammen 4.28 era

Hirano cost me a title last year by giving up like 19 er in an outing right before season ended.  He sucks and has awful stuff.  He’ll never last as closer in this league.

Edited by Cmilne23