tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

May gives up a run in the 8th and looks like Parker is now coming in.

He pitched on Sunday, so you wouldn't think so, but tonight was only his 3rd appearance so far this month.  Still, figures he comes in and takes a giant dump on the mound.  Just what I needed...

Biagini couldn't even finish the inning.  I've seen enough already...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Good question.  He has looked horrible so far, predictably.

Like most “closers” in non-save situations..lol

• Thanks 1

Annihilation of May and Parker is complete 

29 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

What about him?

hudson with the blue jays save tonite after biagini came in for the 8th and looked terrible

Great, there goes Josh Bell homering off Luke Jackson.  Maybe I do need to monitor Minter.  What a sad world we’re living in.

bass blows the save for M's.  2 run jack in the 9th to buxton.  but settled down and got out of inning with tie.  elias warming.  

Umm...are any closer people worth rostering?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BMcP said:

This is really sad. Makes me want to just find a different pitching cat for my league next year...and not holds nor s/h. I usually enjoy chasing saves, but it just seems to be awful this year. 

• Like 1

Will Boston give Hembree a chance to close games out? Or are they biding their time with the guys they have until they trade for a closer?

Not sure as of yet if Barnes has the testicular fortitude to close out games.  Or maybe it’s just a matter of being lobotomized like Jack Nicholson at the end of One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest.  How much do we really know about guys like Mariano Rivera and Dennis Eckersley?  We already have some idea about Aroldis Chapman with him shooting up his garage.  Less brain activity is optimal.  Just how dumb is Barnes?

• Like 2

closers should just do what position players do when they are called to pitched. just toss the ball. I mean what are their ERAs like.

• Haha 1

How are people feeling about Minter being given another shot to close with the Braves? I would imagine they would prefer to keep their options internal and not give up assets for a closer (altho who knows).. Minter was decent (not spectacular) in his recent demotion and has since pitched twice since being recalled.

Very tough to read many closer situations at the moment.. ATL is no different.. what do people think?

Also, getting away from Minter... 

Is Leclerc officially done as closer in Texas? meaning he wont be given the chance again this year based off what people are reading. Woodward keeps saying he intends to go back to him.. but as the days tick away.. its becoming less and less likely.

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

How are people feeling about Minter being given another shot to close with the Braves? I would imagine they would prefer to keep their options internal and not give up assets for a closer (altho who knows).. Minter was decent (not spectacular) in his recent demotion and has since pitched twice since being recalled.

Very tough to read many closer situations at the moment.. ATL is no different.. what do people think?

If Minter could actually pitch good I think he could overtake Jackson.  From a redraft perspective I'm not really convinced this guy can pitch good.

To me it seemed like a foregone conclusion that as long as ATL is in contention they will likely hunt for relief help.  My money is on their second half closer being on a different team/free agency.

I really don't know what to make about the Toronto situation. They announced Biagini would close in Giles' absence, but tonight's usage would indicate otherwise. I don't know if either are worth the trouble if Giles is really only going to miss 10 days. 

Elias might get another shot to close after Bass blew it tonight.

Also re: ATL... Swarzak has pitched really good since coming to ATL. 10.2 IP w/ an .84 WHIP and .84 ERA, 14 K/5 BB
He might be ahead of Minter, but who knows.

7 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

Will Boston give Hembree a chance to close games out? Or are they biding their time with the guys they have until they trade for a closer?

Boston isn't using closers.  Have you not noticed that, heh?   And Hembree can be really really bad at times through the years.  If he is on a good streak now he will soon get on one of his bad ones.

8 hours ago, BMcP said:

Shane green and will Smith.  Isnt that how we planned it this season.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nlm said:

I really don't know what to make about the Toronto situation. They announced Biagini would close in Giles' absence, but tonight's usage would indicate otherwise. I don't know if either are worth the trouble if Giles is really only going to miss 10 days. 

Elias might get another shot to close after Bass blew it tonight.

Also re: ATL... Swarzak has pitched really good since coming to ATL. 10.2 IP w/ an .84 WHIP and .84 ERA, 14 K/5 BB
He might be ahead of Minter, but who knows.

Biagini came on with 2 on and 1 out in the 8th..the hope was that he could shut the door and close out the 8th and 9th.  But he struggled.  So they turned to a LHP and then Hudson was their only decent arm left.  Bagini was mentioned as the new "closer".  I expect he will get at least a few more chances until Giles comes back.