tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

11 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

And what's wrong with Colome now? 

Good question.  He pitched 1.2 innings last time out on Tuesday, but they had the day off yesterday, so he should have been available.

2 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Kennedy with a 1 pitch fly-out save. If only

they could all be that easy. 

I'll take it.  It all counts the same.

Edited by KilloWertz

21 minutes ago, JameisofThrones said:

I guess Colome threw 39 pitches on Tuesday, so the speculation was that they wanted to give him an extra day..

In both this case and the Robles case it makes sense to give them an extra day.   Mid 30s pitches for a reliever is a ton.

Just now, 96mnc said:

In both this case and the Robles case it makes sense to give them an extra day.   Mid 30s pitches for a reliever is a ton.

Good time to try Bedrosian in case they deal Robles. 

40 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

ChiSox offering a preview of things to come?

If Colome gets dealt (judging by this thread, I'm guessing it's more when), then you would have to guess that Bummer would be next in line.  That is how it went tonight obviously.

What would the White Sox expect to get for Colome?  A fringe top 150 prospect?  The minor league system is already loaded to the point where I simply can’t keep up.  They should compete for the division as soon as next year.  Might as well keep Colome in the picture.  Hahn has even said as much.

Burying the lede here though because Bummer is looking like a keeper.

”You got a bad name like Dick Butkus” - Tha Alkaholiks

• Like 2

Urias with a 3 inning save. who knows how much he will be used for anything. he as SP elig. and that is what makes it interesting.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mlb2019 said:

Urias with a 3 inning save. who knows how much he will be used for anything. he as SP elig. and that is what makes it interesting.

Probably a decent source of 3 ip saves and vulture wins until one of the Dodgers current rotation inevitably gets hurt... in fact we’re way overdue

11 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Josh Smith in for the save for Boston instead of Hembree.  Their announcers can't figure out why it's not Hembree.  Hembree didn't even warm up, so they were wondering if he was sick or something.

CM email said Hembree was unavailable with forearm tightness. 

Bummer is the guy im watch listing and adding amid any colome rumors

that was nice to maybe get a sneak peek into what theyd do post Colome

Now we just need a better idea of the SF - DET situations should they deal their closers because i aint got a clue there, jiminez moronta been inconsistent 

Edited by kmoore1521

3 hours ago, smeeze said:

Probably a decent source of 3 ip saves and vulture wins until one of the Dodgers current rotation inevitably gets hurt... in fact we’re way overdue

Looking at you, Ryu....

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Josh Smith in for the save for Boston instead of Hembree.  Their announcers can't figure out why it's not Hembree.  Hembree didn't even warm up, so they were wondering if he was sick or something.

Just to be clear it wasn't because Remy and O'Brien thought Hembree was some sort of closer guy.  Price blew up early and it became a bullpen game and at that point there were only 2 relievers left in the pen by then.  A vet and a green kid.  So logic would say you don't stick the green kid into a save situation for the first time ever with Boston desperate to right their ship.  So Hembree not going in over the raw kid would lead to this speculation.  And who knows.  Could well be true.

Also this game was one of the weirdest ones ever.  It wasn't Price's night as he had zero control over his fastball and pitched only 1.1 innings giving up 6 runs.  Then the dumpster fire bullpen pitched a shutout the rest of the game while busy filling up the bases to various degrees almost every inning in the process.  Announcer used the term Houdini at one point and that is what it felt like.  Most all the Boston relievers struggled but they somehow squirmed out of letting a run score every inning.  Only the Boston pen could take a nearly 8 inning bullpen shutout and make it look like a disaster in waiting.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

22 hours ago, 89Topps said:

On Giles, man, anytime I hear "elbow" I cringe.  Sounds like it's not too bad, but you never know.  Next we hear, he could be going for a "second opinion", then "Dr. James Andrews" and we know where that leads.

Biagini might be a good spec add beyond just 10 days.

Until you watch him and look at his past

Dude is a Fernando Rodney clone. He can look decent and get 2 saves then give up 5 runs, his ERA in the past tells the story

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LJJr said:

Looking at you, Ryu....

As a stripling owner, I have been praying for the same thing (any of the starters will do)..can’t believe how far into the season we are and how healthy they have been as a whole...lol

literally like a Haley’s comet sighting

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

As anyone seen any update on Alvarado? 

I keep asking too.  Been about half a month now he left for some sort of family matters.  Any TB fans here that have better inside info?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

4 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I keep asking too.  Been about half a month now he left for some sort of family matters.  Any TB fans here that have better inside info?

I feel bad for the guy at this point. It must be a serious issue if he has been gone this long. 

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Neris with the epic meltdown tonight. 

He was due for one. He was perfect until tonight. 

26 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

He was due for one. He was perfect until tonight. 

Bruce misplayed that flair badly. Braves hit some tough pitches.

9 hours ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

As anyone seen any update on Alvarado? 

9 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

In case you haven’t seen this:

Rays transferred LHP Jose Alvarado from the bereavement list to the restricted list.

The move was necessary because Alvarado has missed more than the maximum seven days while on bereavement. The hope is that he'll return on Monday or Tuesday.

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

Bummer is the guy im watch listing and adding amid any colome rumors

that was nice to maybe get a sneak peek into what theyd do post Colome

Now we just need a better idea of the SF - DET situations should they deal their closers because i aint got a clue there, jiminez moronta been inconsistent 

I'm not convinced they trade Colome.  He's under control for another season and in the soft AL Central and with their young talent starting to emerge they have a shot at competing next year.   I'm guessing they would if they are blown away.