tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

38 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Epic fail for Luke

I didn't see any of it, but both runs were unearned, so this one doesn't seem like it was his fault.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I didn't see any of it, but both runs were unearned, so this one doesn't seem like it was his fault.

The error was his.

Just now, slowride said:

The error was his.

Didn't look that far to see who committed it.  Never mind then...

19 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Wow, kenley gonna have to earn this one...

bryant, fizz, javy 

plunks KB and rizz w/ a 2 run yak.  maybe Strop will end up giving him a W

12 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Unfortunately, if he gets traded, then he'll likely just be an animal for a contender setting up for their closer.  Still would obviously have value the way he's pitched this season, but still, it seems like there's at least a decent chance of him getting moved.

If he goes to the Dodgers sure. 

Atlanta 

Philly 

TB

Minny

Boston 

Any of those places and he should be the closer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gryfter said:

If you're really worried about Robles getting traded, Keynan Middleton should be ready end of the month/early July. I dont see Buttrey moving off his fireman/set up role.

He had a setback.

1 hour ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Neris back to doing Neris things.  Nice to see Kepler go right back to him the night after his first blown save. That should really speak to his confidence in him moving forward. 

He should have confidence in him as that blown save was more due to poor Bruce defense in LF than Neris.  And since Kepler was the one that had Bruce out there...

8 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

Atlanta 

Philly 

TB

Minny

Boston 

TB don't strike me as a team to trade for a good reliever. Especially when they basically crap them out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hope the Braves yank Luke Jackson from the closer role soon so I can drop him. 

I’m surprised he’s had this long of a leash. 6 blown saves and how long has he been closing? 4-6 weeks? 

Just now, Under500Forever said:

I hope the Braves yank Luke Jackson from the closer role soon so I can drop him. 

I’m surprised he’s had this long of a leash. 6 blown saves and how long has he been closing? 4-6 weeks? 

But if they do hypothetically yank him, is the consensus that Minter gets an opportunity to redeem himself? 

Braves should be burning up the phones all night getting one of Hand or Smith.  Enough is enough.  Even Sam Dyson would work. 

Edited by 96mnc
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Gryfter said:

If you're really worried about Robles getting traded, Keynan Middleton should be ready end of the month/early July. I dont see Buttrey moving off his fireman/set up role.

Middleton is a name to know but his numbers (especially WHIP) are not great.  Plus he's coming off of a major injury so not sure how fun he would be to own even if he somehow got the job.  I agree that Buttrey is likely to stay put in his role though...

2 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Atlanta 

Philly 

TB

Minny

Boston 

Not so sure about Philly and TB.   As a dominant lefty I could see his role being more of the Andrew Miller in Cleveland type of situation.  Extremely valuable to have...

32 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Middleton is a name to know but his numbers (especially WHIP) are not great.  Plus he's coming off of a major injury so not sure how fun he would be to own even if he somehow got the job.  I agree that Buttrey is likely to stay put in his role though...

I know but IF Robles gets dealt at the deadline, and Buttrey isnt the closer, theres no one else in that bullpen for the role. Bedrosian? LOL

11 minutes ago, Gryfter said:

I know but IF Robles gets dealt at the deadline, and Buttrey isnt the closer, theres no one else in that bullpen for the role. Bedrosian? LOL

Actually Bedrosian has been solid this year, especially the last month or so. I would be happy if Middleton managed to pitch as well...

3 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Actually Bedrosian has been solid this year, especially the last month or so. I would be happy if Middleton managed to pitch as well...

Bedrosian had so many chances in the past to run away with the job and couldnt. Middleton was actually decent in the role last year till the TJS; rooting for the guy to come back strong.

Of course all this is moot if Robles stays.

Another good stash is Aaron Bummer is Colome gets dealt. Kelvin Herrera has been horrible this year.

1 hour ago, Gryfter said:

Bedrosian had so many chances in the past to run away with the job and couldnt. Middleton was actually decent in the role last year till the TJS; rooting for the guy to come back strong.

Another good stash is Aaron Bummer is Colome gets dealt. Kelvin Herrera has been horrible this year.

I am not saying Bedrosian should be closer.  I think he has settled in as a decent bullpen arm and sometimes opener.    Just stating it would be great if Middleton pitched as well as Bedrosian has this year.   Given his high WHIP numbers (majors and minors) and the fact that he's coming of Tommy John I am pretty reserved in my expectations of him doing well.    He's a name to know though... 

ATL- Anyone doing some speculating this morning? Swarzak, Minter, Webb? 

Have to think someone else gets the save opp today if it presents itself, and could run with it (until they go get help).

I’d like to go Minter, but he’s just fresh back and has the propensity to blow up as well. 

Swarzak has a few saves...wondering if he’s the grab here. Any other thoughts?

5 hours ago, Gryfter said:

I owned Middleton last season. 2.04 ERA, but some very troubling other numbers: 4.58 BB/9 (and just over 8 K/9), career low BABIP & HR/9. 3.78 FIP & 4.82 xFIP. In short, Middleton was pretty lucky, and not very good. Add coming off injury and I just don’t see it.

Agree with Bedrosian, but he was given the save opp when Buttrey and Robles were both unavailable. I’d say he has the clear upper hand. 

26 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Have to think someone else gets the save opp today if it presents itself, and could run with it (until they go get help).

I’d like to go Minter, but he’s just fresh back and has the propensity to blow up as well. 

I think swarzak is next in line, but he’s also pitched 5 of the last 8 days

23 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Agree with everything you say here. I think Swarzak is the grab and it seems others think so too as he has been snatched already in several of my leagues. He’s only allowed 1 run over his last 14 innings or so. I can’t see Jackson getting the next opportunity and if Swarzak converts he’ll get a shot to run with it.