tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

Agree with everything you say here. I think Swarzak is the grab and it seems others think so too as he has been snatched already in several of my leagues. He’s only allowed 1 run over his last 14 innings or so. I can’t see Jackson getting the next opportunity and if Swarzak converts he’ll get a shot to run with it.

You better be right as I sure could use another closer right now.  😀

I think Swarzak deserves a shot at it the way he's pitched for them since they acquired him.  A few too many walks, but he's managed that by giving up a minimal amount of hits.  Can't really use the excuse that Jackson blew the save because of two unearned runs because he's the reason why it happened.

I've been on the Swarzak wagon since he was closing briefly in SEA. Guy hit a rough patch over there, but has been great ever since. He would be my speculative add right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone think Workman can run away with the closer job in BOS in the near future? 

If they would stop with the committee crap and start giving him a chance to actually run away with it, sure.  He's been great this season, and unlike most of the other committee, he hasn't been mediocre at best in the role as he has gotten very few chances.  Judging by posts here, it seems like he was going to get a chance last night before they scored more runs though.

Come on, Boston.  He's been lights out all season and it's not like the others have been that great when given chances...

53 minutes ago, nlm said:

I've been on the Swarzak wagon since he was closing briefly in SEA. Guy hit a rough patch over there, but has been great ever since. He would be my speculative add right now.

I second that and hope they do give him a shot, if for no other reason than because I picked him up this morning. 😀

Seriously though, it's time to make a switch, and Swarzak has been pretty good for them since they acquired him.  A few too many walks, but he's made it work.

2 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

what in the hell is going on here? anyone expect him to close moving forward?

No clue what's going on in his personal life, but assuming he doesn't go on to miss the rest of the month or something, I think the same arrangement will be used upon his return (a committee of Alvarado, Castillo, and Pagan mixed in)

• Like 1

Well here is Rotoworld's blurb about Alvarado:

There remains no timetable for when Jose Alvarado (family) will rejoin the Rays.

Alvarado is on the restricted list with an unspecified family medical emergency and the Rays aren't sure when he'll be back. Diego Castillo and Emilio Pagan will be looked to in save situations with Alvarado away.

Source: Juan Toribio on Twitter                              Jun 16, 2019, 12:52 PM ET

Granted family should always come first and if there is a close relative seriously ill say he should be with his family.  But you would think there would be a more clear update.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone think Workman can run away with the closer job in BOS in the near future? 

No.  There is no closer at this point.  It is mix and match. 

Heck Josh Taylor was up to pitch the 9th yesterday when it still was a save situation.  Workman started to warm-up too but it was obvious Taylor was coming in first and only if he got in trouble they would send in Workman.  Then the Sox went off on the top of the 9th and since Taylor was already warmed-up he came  in anyway.

49 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

No.  There is no closer at this point.  It is mix and match. 

Heck Josh Taylor was up to pitch the 9th yesterday when it still was a save situation.  Workman started to warm-up too but it was obvious Taylor was coming in first and only if he got in trouble they would send in Workman.  Then the Sox went off on the top of the 9th and since Taylor was already warmed-up he came  in anyway.

And that's laughable considering how much better Workman has been than Taylor and how bad most of the other guys have been in the role.  He deserves a shot at least considering how lights out he's been overall.

Obviously not directed towards you, but yes, he could run away with it if given the chance.

22 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

And that's laughable considering how much better Workman has been than Taylor and how bad most of the other guys have been in the role.  He deserves a shot at least considering how lights out he's been overall.

Obviously not directed towards you, but yes, he could run away with it if given the chance.

I wouldn’t call anyone with 22 walks in 32 innings “lights out”. He’s only allowed 9 hits, and that .136 BABIP will eventually correct itself. And when it does, he’s going to wreck some ratios. Jmho. 

• Like 5

As someone who follows ATL daily, I feel like Jackson's days are numbered... the blown save last night was a heartbreaker! Could have swept our rivals and really broke their spirit, especially considering Friday night's miracle. (Thanks in huge part to Jay Bruce having as much range as Bernie from weekend @...) I've added Swarzak myself, as Jackson was never groomed to be the closer, he had simply been excelling in the role and Snit, like Bobby C, is rather loyal and resistant to change when things settle into place. 

I still can't believe we didn't sign Kimbrel, but whatever. Look for ATL to sign someone by the deadline to close, and if they're smart, trade one of our 763 amazing young starters for some BP help we so desperately need! 

Go Braves 🤘🤘🤘

Edited by LarryChip10
  • Thanks 4

Carlos Martinez gets 2 inning save even though Hicks was off yesterday and has made only 3 appearances last 10 games.

That said, it was also only Martinez's 3rd appearance last 10 games.

Edited by el_Mantico

1 hour ago, Flyman75 said:

I wouldn’t call anyone with 22 walks in 32 innings “lights out”. He’s only allowed 9 hits, and that .136 BABIP will eventually correct itself. And when it does, he’s going to wreck some ratios. Jmho. 

Ok, you got me on that one.  My mistake, as I never actually bothered to look at his walks given how good his ratios have been.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Ok, you got me on that one.  My mistake, as I never actually bothered to look at his walks given how good his ratios have been.

Lol, I did the same with him earlier this year. Great looking numbers, so I picked him up. Then I saw his walk rate and how few hits he had given up and dropped him. Feels like he’s a ticking time bomb ince that hit rate catches up to him. But now that I’ve said thar, he’ll walk 50 in 70 innings this year and only give up 20 hits all season. Hahaha!!!

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Lol, I did the same with him earlier this year. Great looking numbers, so I picked him up. Then I saw his walk rate and how few hits he had given up and dropped him. Feels like he’s a ticking time bomb ince that hit rate catches up to him. But now that I’ve said thar, he’ll walk 50 in 70 innings this year and only give up 20 hits all season. Hahaha!!!

I've actually stuck with him not knowing about the walks, but after looking at him now, it's weird.  He's never had issues with walks in the majors before.  At least not to this degree.  It was everything else that he's limiting this season (hits and HRs) that were the biggest problems coming into this season.

Might still stick with him for a little while longer to see if they ever actually give him more than a one-off chance at saves, and then move on if things continue.

4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

what in the hell is going on here? anyone expect him to close moving forward?

4 hours ago, nlm said:

No clue what's going on in his personal life, but assuming he doesn't go on to miss the rest of the month or something, I think the same arrangement will be used upon his return (a committee of Alvarado, Castillo, and Pagan mixed in)

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well here is Rotoworld's blurb about Alvarado:

Granted family should always come first and if there is a close relative seriously ill say he should be with his family.  But you would think there would be a more clear update.

My guess is he's another 5-7 days out given the time he's been away.

Edited by Lebanasty
update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that update.

Also, Givens is still trash. That's not so much an update as it is truth. Marco Hernandez had 1 career HR coming into his AB in the 9th only to hit 1 more... guess who they were both off of? Givens.

Edited by nlm
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

So Givens blows it, do you think he still gets the next opp?

What opportunity?  You think the O's will ever be leading in the 9th again this season?  I mean I see some guys there really trying hard but there is also some of the poorest fielding and base running I've seen this season from any club from what I witnessed this weekend.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

No way. The Red Sox bullpen is a ****show 

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What opportunity?  You think the O's will ever be leading in the 9th again this season?  I mean I see some guys there really trying hard but there is also some of the poorest fielding and base running I've seen this season from any club from what I witnessed this weekend.

Exactly my thinking. I'm sure Givens will get the next save opportunity, for what it is worth. But, how much is that worth?...Ask yourself that first.

Givens gives up too many hits, is unpredictably wild, and will blow up your ratios before you can say presto. 

I rage-dropped him after today. Do I think he sees the next save opp? Probably, they don't have anyone better. But is it really worth it? I'd much rather add a guy who could potentially be closing after a trade...there's a few of those guys out there and they all will give you better counting stats than Givens will.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, nlm said:

Exactly my thinking. I'm sure Givens will get the next save opportunity, for what it is worth. But, how much is that worth?...Ask yourself that first.

Givens gives up too many hits, is unpredictably wild, and will blow up your ratios before you can say presto. 

I rage-dropped him after today. Do I think he sees the next save opp? Probably, they don't have anyone better. But is it really worth it? I'd much rather add a guy who could potentially be closing after a trade...there's a few of those guys out there and they all will give you better counting stats than Givens will.

Armstrong hasn't allowed an earned run in his last eight appearances and has a 1.62 ERA since joining the O's, so I think you could argue he is better at this point. Converted a save when they briefly banished Givens from the closer role so he has had a mini audition. Would not be surprised to see him get the next chance.