tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

15 minutes ago, LarryChip10 said:

As I said before, Snitker is very loyal like Bobby Cox was to his guys... buuuutttt, Jackson only assumed the role due to Viz’s injury, and Minters implosion. 

That said, Jackson has SIX blown saves, (not all of which have come as closer) and his last was a heartbreaker. 

I added Swarzack, but there were some interesting quotes in an AGJ article from yesterday that lead me to believe Minter will get another chance. Don’t have link, but gist was, “That was the best I’d seen him since spring”... “He looked like his old self. The velocity ticked up, cutter was good. It’s the best he’s looked since we started in February.”

Now extract what you will, but Jackson has never been spoken about as a closer till he became one, Minter was actually damn good last year shy of injuries, and was in a car wreck in spring training that was alluded to in the article. Snitker knows how good this team is, also knows how bad the pen is... my gut says Swazark gets next chance, but Minter’s K of Bryce Harper in a seven pitch battle Saturday, along w/ his follow up comments... those things stick in a managers mind. 

Confused yet? (41/39/20 IMHO for Swazark/Minter/Jackson) going forward. 

This is exactly why I’m still holding Minter. I think Snit gives him another shot. 

• Like 1

Brasier returns today and immediately gets the save opportunity tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, KilloWertz said:

Brasier returns today and immediately gets the save opportunity tonight.

A perfect ninth 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BostonCajun said:

This is exactly why I’m still holding Minter. I think Snit gives him another shot. 

Agreed! 100%, and you won’t find another on this board that lives/eats/sleeps Braves like myself! 

I ran home home from elementary school to watch He-Man @ 3:05, then the Braves shortly after on TBS. 

Been a religious daily fan since my Braves were the perennial laughing stock and ESPN didn’t exist. If I’m good for anything around here, it’s my takes on the Braves and Reno Aces AAA squad or opponents I see live. I played college on a scholarship, I pitched and played SS/CF on my off days. I know and ❤️ this silly game! 😎🇺🇸

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

A perfect ninth 

Not sure if this means anything or not though as even before he left the team, the 9th inning was a dartboard.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

David Bell is so completely incompetent when it comes to managing a bullpen

Seems like a weird time to make this post considering they closed out the game against the Astros.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

God I hate all things Boston

*except their baked beans and clam chowder that is

Edited by Hangry Bird
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

So any updates on Atlanta's situation?  it was a blow-out so I assume no way to read the runes tonight?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

So when is the Phils/Nats game going to be made up?

Wed.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

At least he had the courtesy to remove Iglesias before he took another L!  

Edited by Members_Only_76

I didn't watch the Cincinnati game. Is there anything to Lorenzen closing things out?

12 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

I didn't watch the Cincinnati game. Is there anything to Lorenzen closing things out?

Think it’s just Bell spazzing and blowing his Iglesias wad so to speak in the 8th as a “firefighter”. Same old.

Except this time he pulled Iglesias out. So maybe he figured out it doesn’t work trying to let Iglesias go multiple innings or 4+ outs. Iglesias probably would have another L right now if he stayed in.

I'm not salty. 😝

• Like 2

Kennedy with back to back saves and is now most likely unavailable for Tuesday’s game 

4 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

Kennedy with back to back saves and is now most likely unavailable for Tuesday’s game 

For all the talk about poor teams not getting many opportunities, Kennedy has sure racked up a good amount of saves the last couple weeks. 

• Like 2

On 6/16/2019 at 8:45 AM, Backdoor Slider said:

I owned Middleton last season. 2.04 ERA, but some very troubling other numbers: 4.58 BB/9 (and just over 8 K/9), career low BABIP & HR/9. 3.78 FIP & 4.82 xFIP. In short, Middleton was pretty lucky, and not very good. Add coming off injury and I just don’t see it.

Agree with Bedrosian, but he was given the save opp when Buttrey and Robles were both unavailable. I’d say he has the clear upper hand. 

Wow, had no idea he was that lucky...lol

Guess hes a wait and watch.

As a diehard Braves fan, do you not think it’s feasible that Swarzak gets an opportunity? I owned Minter before he imploded and agree he does look better, which the coach agrees with too, but Swarzak has looked solid as well. 

21 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

As a diehard Braves fan, do you not think it’s feasible that Swarzak gets an opportunity? I owned Minter before he imploded and agree he does look better, which the coach agrees with too, but Swarzak has looked solid as well. 

I grabbed Swazark yesterday reading the tea leaves, and unfortunately a lazy owner who checked out a month ago has Minter loitering on his bench. If both were available... I’d grab Minter. 

Two reasons, Minter has a successful track record in the role (shy of this year which he has a semi-valid explanation for losing), and more importantly, Snitker is one of the few managers who doesn’t pull punches, doesn’t go the “coach speak” route.. ever. His direct quotes to reporters speak volumes to me! He wants to see Minter succeed in that role, and another couple solid outings, or another Jackson BS, I’d more or less guarantee he gets his shot. 

Lastly, Minter himself said the demotion to AAA was humbling, that he’d more or less s--- the bed and deserved it. Not many guys are humble enough to admit that, and he’s inferred that he doesn’t take his recent promotion for granted. He’s always had the talent to be a closer, but said something like “guys were sitting on my inside fastball... I worked hard on my other pitches to counter that in Gwennet!” That’s good insight right there, that’s putting ego aside and correcting what’s wrong. Insight and honesty are powerful tools! 👍

7 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

LOL, sorry but I just find this reaction quite funny given the circumstances of a clean save behind him... 

I will say it's an interesting move to say the least.   Taking a deeper look into things I see that Iglesias had only pitched twice since June 5th.  I assume Bell was trying to accommodate Iglesias by saving him for his requested 9th only, save opportunities.   However, as we all know save opportunities are inconsistent and can either dry up or come in a fury.  So my thoughts are that Bell realized he hadn't used him much recently so was going to give him the final 2 innings today just to get the work in (and maybe save another guy in the bullpen).  However, although Iglesias didn't give up a run he obviously struggled (likely a byproduct of not pitching much, which is likely a by-product of no 9th inning save opportunities) as he walked two and pitched only 10 strikes on 21 pitches.  I think Bell saw where that was going and pulled the plug.  Some managers might have stayed with their closers but good on him for doing that and getting the win. 

I think he managed brilliantly...

Now just hoping to hear Iglesias gripe about this somehow...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

For all the talk about poor teams not getting many opportunities, Kennedy has sure racked up a good amount of saves the last couple weeks. 

5 Saves in 10 days! For all those that clamor on about bottom barrel teams not getting save opps...remember that crappy teams still end up playing other crappy teams 

34 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

5 Saves in 10 days! For all those that clamor on about bottom barrel teams not getting save opps...remember that crappy teams still end up playing other crappy teams 

This is after weeks and weeks of very few opportunities...

7 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

This is after weeks and weeks of very few opportunities...

Right, a string of series that include Hou, Phi, Tex, NYY, @Tex, Bos will shut down a good bit of the closing opportunities for a sub par team but KC's recent schedule has been much softer and looks to continue to be soft for awhile after Seattle...@Cle, @ Tor, Cle, @Was, Det, CWS, @Cle

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, arthurpete said:

Right, a string of series that include Hou, Phi, Tex, NYY, @Tex, Bos will shut down a good bit of the closing opportunities for a sub par team but KC's recent schedule has been much softer and looks to continue to be soft for awhile after Seattle...@Cle, @ Tor, Cle, @Was, Det, CWS, @Cle

I hope so but will disagree that it's just been against those tough squads. I've owned him from an early point this year and it took forever to get some early saves in although he was in competition for a few of them prior.  Nature of saves but hopefully we'll see continued opportunities. I am actually more concerned of how many hits he allows than anything else. Babip doesn't always regress if guys are just hittable.. 

5 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I hope so but will disagree that it's just been against those tough squads. I've owned him from an early point this year and it took forever to get some early saves in although he was in competition for a few of them prior.  Nature of saves but hopefully we'll see continued opportunities. I am actually more concerned of how many hits he allows than anything else. Babip doesn't always regress if guys are just hittable.. 

There really hasnt been a clear picture in KC til recently. I havent followed them too closely but it doesnt seem like Ian was in the closer conversation til about early May. Either way, ill take the high BABIP with how few he walks batters (3 BB in his last 15 appearances) and he is approaching a 12 K/9 ratio...pretty impressive, hopefully it continues.