tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Recommended Posts

Iglesias 8th inning. 

1st batter(Gurriel) 2 nice breaking balls for strikes.  1 97mph fastball for strike 3.

2nd batter(Chirinos).  wild pitch, runner advances to 2nd. another ball.  2 breaking balls for strikes.  breaking ball strike 3.

2 strike outs.  No one warming up in bullpen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, HammerinHank19 said:

Iglesias is coming in Bottom of 8th 1 out 1 on, Reds leading 4-3.

 

Yup he got a strikeout to end the inning.  Correct move.  Now watch people moan if he blows up in the 9th.  LOL...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I kinda love this guy

 

 

 

It certainly worked given the feeble swing.  Nice share...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HammerinHank19 said:

Scratch that.  Lorenzen is now warming up in the bullpen.  

 

Makes sense.  You have someone ready to go just in case...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, knuckleheads said:

 

Makes sense.  You have someone ready to go just in case...

 

In case of what, the closer being due up third in the bottom of the inning? 

Oh, wait......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last night Brazier pitched the 9th

tonight it’s the 7th inning 

gee 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

In case of what, the closer being due up third in the bottom of the inning? 

Oh, wait......

 

In case he throws more balls than strikes just as he did yesterday.  Oops he's out of there...

Edited by knuckleheads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, knuckleheads said:

 

In case he throws more balls than strikes just as he did yesterday...

 

Or, you know, because you again tied your hands by wasting your best reliever in a situation that did not necessitate it and now have to pinch hit for him and rely on a lesser arm to close the game. 

 

And lets be honest, pinch hitting for him with 2 outs and nobody on only compounds the stupidity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lorenzen new closer.  Top 10 ROS?

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

Lorenzen new closer.  Top 10 ROS?

Say what?  I know he's gotten the save the last two games in a row, and I try to stay out of the ranting about Iglesias (so I might be out of the loop there), but really?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lorenzen bottom of 9th, Reds leading 4-3

Batter 1(White) high fastball ball 1, foul ball, 97mph a little low ball 2, Ball 3, 98mph fastball popped up to 1st.  Out 1

Batter 2(Tony Kemp) 97mph fb misses away, 97 misses away ball 2, 98mph strike, 95mph swinging strike, 87 changeup grounder to pitcher.  Out 2

Batter 3(Reddick) 97mph strike, 95mph ball high, grounder to short.  Out 3.

Lorenzen gets back to back saves.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HammerinHank19 said:

Lorenzen bottom of 9th, Reds leading 4-3

Batter 1(White) high fastball ball 1, foul ball, 97mph a little low ball 2, Ball 3, 98mph fastball popped up to 1st.  Out 1

Batter 2(Tony Kemp) 97mph fb misses away, 97 misses away ball 2, 98mph strike, 95mph swinging strike, 87 changeup grounder to pitcher.  Out 2

Batter 3(Reddick) 97mph strike, 95mph ball high, grounder to short.  Out 3.

Lorenzen gets back to back saves.

 

We don't need a pitch by pitch, but you do you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

Or, you know, because you again tied your hands by wasting your best reliever in a situation that did not necessitate it and now have to pinch hit for him and rely on a lesser arm to close the game. 

 

And lets be honest, pinch hitting for him with 2 outs and nobody on only compounds the stupidity. 

 

He has a 1.42 WHIP going into today's game.  He's hardly been great this year...

Oh wait that's Bell's fault.  Forgot...


In any event I am grabbing Lorenzen now...

Edited by knuckleheads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

 

He has a 1.42 WHIP going into today's game.  He's hardly been great this year...

 

Yet I don’t see you disagreeing with me. Strange. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is my best guess.  Iglesias will pitch 8th or 9th depending on what's coming up in the batting order in 1 run games.  Houston had 4 and 5 hitters coming up with 1 on.  I'm guessing Bell considers that a higher leverage situation.  

I think Iglesias is still the closer but clearly Lorenzen is going to get some chances and Lorenzen has looked great in back to back saves. He reached 99mph last night and consistently hit 97-98.  He's a great athlete with a good head on shoulders.  I know Bell likes to occassionally use him in the outfield and to pinch hit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

 

Yet I don’t see you disagreeing with me. Strange. 

 

I completely disagree with you.  You blame Bell for his control issues and I blame Iglesias - you know the actual guy paid to throw the ball...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is going on in Cincy?  Are we seeing a change in roles or is this just more of the modern obsession with reinventing the closer wheel?  Do we pick up Lorenzen now or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

 

He has a 1.42 WHIP going into today's game.  He's hardly been great this year...

that doesn't tell the whole story. hes given up 1 er in his last 15 appearances

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, HammerinHank19 said:

This is my best guess.  Iglesias will pitch 8th or 9th depending on what's coming up in the batting order in 1 run games.  Houston had 4 and 5 hitters coming up with 1 on.  I'm guessing Bell considers that a higher leverage situation.  

I think Iglesias is still the closer but clearly Lorenzen is going to get some chances and Lorenzen has looked great in back to back saves. He reached 99mph last night and consistently hit 97-98.  He's a great athlete with a good head on shoulders.  I know Bell likes to occassionally use him in the outfield and to pinch hit.

 

 

Or he’ll do whatever the tea leaves, Ouija board or magic 8 ball tells him to do. Let’s not sugar coat this, the man is flying blind. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, colepenhagen said:

that doesn't tell the whole story. hes given up 1 er in his last 15 appearances

 

Stop with this. Facts don’t mesh with his #teamfirst narrative.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.