tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

4 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

I completely disagree with you.  You blame Bell for his control issues and I blame Iglesias - you know the actual guy paid to throw the ball...

So the guy that’s paid to put his players in the best spot to succeed shoulders no blame? Fascinating take

11 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

So the guy that’s paid to put his players in the best spot to succeed shoulders no blame? Fascinating take

What's fascinating is how much you seem to ONLY blame Bell when he's not actually the guy on the mound pitching.   Iglesias is paid to pitch in late innings and that's what he's been doing.     If you were just a regular fan and not a fantasy manager and didn't own Iglesias you would being saying anything about his usage.    It worked yesterday and it worked today so there's not much to complain about with Bell...   

Bell said Gurriel came up and he wanted Iglesias to come in when the game is more important.  That simple.  iglesias still the closer but Bell is going to use him when the game matters most which could be the 8th and that will open up some saves for Lorenzen(or possibly others).

1 minute ago, knuckleheads said:

What's fascinating is how much you seem to ONLY blame Bell when he's not actually the guy on the mound pitching.   Iglesias is paid to pitch in late innings and that's what he's been doing.     If you were just a regular fan and not a fantasy manager and didn't own Iglesias you would being saying anything about his usage.    It worked yesterday and it worked today so there's not much to complain about with Bell...   

Thanks for telling me what I’d be doing. And I must say, it’s yet another spot on analysis by you. 

David Bell is a worse manager than he was player.  And that’s saying a lot because I absolutely hated him as an objective Mariner fan.  Dude choked so hard in any clutch moment.  Seems like he doesn’t do much better as a manager.  He’s only managing due to nepotism.  Bell’s have great respect in the game.  Unfortunately it skipped a generation.  David Blows.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, HammerinHank19 said:

Bell said Gurriel came up and he wanted Iglesias to come in when the game is more important.  That simple.  iglesias still the closer but Bell is going to use him when the game matters most which could be the 8th and that will open up some saves for Lorenzen(or possibly others).

Funny way of saying ‘it’s who I had warm for some reason, so that’s who I used’

There is zero reason to fear Yuri and his .695 OPS, (.585 over the last 28 days) and what spot in the order he happens to be occupying tonight, in what’s an injury depleted lineup, does nothing to change that. 

What is Cora doing the guy is worse than Kapler, a different reliever to close every game thats a great way to instill confidence in your closer.

Barnes threw 18 pitches in the 9th.  He damn near struck out the side.  I might have just left him out there for the 10th, but I suppose I’m ignorant.  That said, he’s awfully close to Hader for the league lead in K/9 right now.

34 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Thanks for telling me what I’d be doing. And I must say, it’s yet another spot on analysis by you. 

Your welcome.  It's rather easy to see...  

41 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

David Bell is a worse manager than he was player.  And that’s saying a lot because I absolutely hated him as an objective Mariner fan.  Dude choked so hard in any clutch moment.  Seems like he doesn’t do much better as a manager.  He’s only managing due to nepotism.  Bell’s have great respect in the game.  Unfortunately it skipped a generation.  David Blows.

And yet his bullpen usage has proved very effective as the Reads are way up the ranks in most important relief categories (whip, era, batting average)...

So if guys want to blame him for his usage with Iglesias then they also have to give him credit for the overall bullpen numbers...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/sort/ERA/order/false

And digging deeper the Reds bullpen actually has the highest WAR in the majors.   So Junkie there is some real analysis for you on how successful Bell's bullpen.   Retort if you can but use numbers not emotion...

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=rel&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=&enddate=

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

And yet his bullpen usage has proved very effective as the Reads are way up the ranks in most important relief categories (whip, era, batting average)...

So if guys want to blame him for his usage with Iglesias then they also have to give him credit for the overall bullpen numbers...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/sort/ERA/order/false

No no. That’s because of the pitchers’ performance (right??) not the manager’s “strategy”. Can’t play both ends. 😃

Just now, Stallion said:

What does everyone think about Lorenzen's save chances ROS?

Random usage so who knows. 

16 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

No no. That’s because of the pitchers’ performance (right??) not the manager’s “strategy”. Can’t play both ends. 😃

I have been 100% consistent in saying the pitchers are mainly responsible by pitching either well or poorly.  That includes Iglesias as managers can only do so much to help them out.  It's you guys who want to point the finger to Bell as opposed to Iglesias.  Now I show the evidence that his bullpen has been one of the best in the majors so you need to rectify that with "Bell sucks blah blah"...  

Edited by knuckleheads

52 minutes ago, Stallion said:

What does everyone think about Lorenzen's save chances ROS?

Hmm, 2 saves in 2 days, everyone healthy.  I wish I had an algorithm to divine the pattern.  :-)

2 hours ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I kinda love this guy

That’s why they call him Caballo cuz of that leg kick.  It looks like a horse 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Barnes threw 18 pitches in the 9th.  He damn near struck out the side.  I might have just left him out there for the 10th, but I suppose I’m ignorant.  That said, he’s awfully close to Hader for the league lead in K/9 right now.

Barnes wasn't available last night because he wasn't feeling well.  I was half way out of the room so I don't know what was/is wrong with him.  I missed the details part.  But I did hear they were hoping if they had to use him at all tonight to limit his outing because he still wasn't feeling 100%.  So that is what they did.  And since we are in the 16th inning as I post this it doesn't really matter in the end.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

9 hours ago, swfcdan said:

Who the heck gets the gig once MIB get dealt? Moronta, Dyson (just no), Melonhead, Gott, T-Wat all having good years. Seems Giants relievers automatically find success once they go there. I thought they might go younger fireballer in Moronta but he's pitched 3 times in 2 weeks!

Dyson has been nails all season.  He'd be the best fit imo.  Melancon sucks. 

However, Dyson should be dealt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, codog24 said:

My money is on Melancon. Follow the money and he's actually been pitching well this year.

ERA nearing the mid-3.00s, WHIP at 1.47, only 7.7 k/9, walk rate is a career high outside of his rookie season (16.1 IP) at 3.7. You and I have different definitions of “pitching well”, especially when it’s a RP. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, colepenhagen said:

that doesn't tell the whole story. hes given up 1 er in his last 15 appearances

True, but he’s also allowed 11 baserunners in 4.2 June innings, including 6 walks. 

6 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Yep. Dyson would be the better choice in that pen after Smith is dealt. But, most of them might be dealt, so I won’t be touching it after Smith is traded. Lol. We’ll probably be discussing Moronta vs Melancon after July 31. I figure Smith, Dyson, and Watson will all be traded. Maybe Melancon, if they can find someone to take his contract. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 96mnc said:

This.  Giants will be in full rebuild soon enough and will need to deal any asset that can get them a decent return.  Smith, Dyson, Watson all viable trade pieces out of that bullpen.  If they all find new homes then I’d say either Moronta gets a chance (I think his usage has been less lately because of how much he was used to begin the season), or just a committee of whatever Bochy feels like because the team is going nowhere and might as well throw some darts.

Haering whispers that the White Sox are "possibly" looking to trade Colome in the next few weeks.  Keep an eye on Bummer.  If your desperate for saves.  Now might be a good time to stash and do the wait and see if you have room.