tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

Posted (edited)

Davis I’m to close the game, Oberg has a solid 1.2 innings. If Davis blows this I would run to grab Oberg.

update: he just gave a solo shot to Cron and then a single to Marte.  

He got two Ks which was good but he also got helped by Murphy on a scorcher to 1B by Peralta. He’s allowing hard contact and that’s not a good sign. 

Edited by HaloFanatic17

Davis was missing his spots with his FB but his CB was mostly good.  Couple of nice CB's to K Dyson.  Hope he sharpens his command as he pitches a few more games. 

Man, Cron is a big boy...

Colo had Diaz warming up in the 9th. 

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Boston's closing committee is literally just a dartboard, which almost makes it pointless unless you just want the stats guys like Barnes will give you.

Situations like this are quickly ruining closers in general for fantasy baseball.  I was thinking earlier today that I only have one closer left after I made a trade, thinking at the time that I could just add another one or two along the way, but every attempt to do so results in them not getting any save opportunities for various reasons.  This will be the first season I will have failed to be able to pick up more than one closer over the course of the season if things don't change (I know there are still plenty of games left).  We'll see what happens around the trade deadline I suppose.

There's a whole lot of season left.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

Boston's closing committee is literally just a dartboard, which almost makes it pointless unless you just want the stats guys like Barnes will give you.

Barnes is definitely rosterable even if he gets sporadic save opportunities.  He has almost as many strikeouts as Mike Soroka, if you can believe that (56 to 62).  3 wins, 4 saves, ERA now down to 3.16, WHIP at 1.15.  

Would probably  need Kelley to lose the closer gig at this point.

4 minutes ago, Slimzy17 said:

Kelley gave up a HOMErun but recovered nicely.

ftfy

take that save tho

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

So.... who is next in line in Oakland? 

The whole bullpen is a Seattle level mess right now.

• Like 1

Castillo doing his part to match incompetence 

Roenis Elias warming up for Seattle.  Save op, as of now.

Easy inning for Elias.  If course, he was facing the butt end of the Os lineup, so...

Having Kennedy and Romo in at the SP slots is such an advantage. Even if they get 20 saves each along with your 2 other RP, you’ll beat most teams in Saves over the course of the season. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BMcP said:

Castillo doing his part to match incompetence 

Yea, dropped. 

He doesn't even pitch anymore. No holds or saves for weeks. All he does is kill your ratios. 

FAP

7 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Easy inning for Elias.  If course, he was facing the butt end of the Os lineup, so...

True, but aside from a pretty bad stretch in May (roughly two weeks), he's actually been pretty solid.  Might be time to take him at least a little seriously as a cheap source of saves.  I had been ignoring him on the waiver wire for a while now, but finally took the plunge after 5 straight scoreless appearances.

Just now, KilloWertz said:

True, but aside from a pretty bad stretch in May (roughly two weeks), he's actually been pretty solid.  Might be time to take him at least a little seriously as a cheap source of saves.  I had been ignoring him on the waiver wire for a while now, but finally took the plunge after 5 straight scoreless appearances.

Strickland? 

Just now, urban2014 said:

Strickland? 

Whenever he comes back, maybe.  Nothing wrong with the short term and then worry about that later.  Not saying he's somebody you rush out and get right this instant, but I'll take some cheap saves in the meantime.

dont remember who quoted me a few weeks ago saying the Rays dont need bullpen help, buuuuuut THIS IS WHY I SAID IT haha

Castillo is solid but not an end of game RP IMO more of a 7th inning guy, Alvarado isnt a closer IMO more of an 8th inning lefty guy maybe setup

Pagan is a wild card, id like to see him in the role see how he handles it, has the best stuff of our RHP in the pen IMO

but nevertheless id like to see us deal for a RP, dont even need a big name just big skills cause we can turn a nobody RP into gold (see rodney, boxberger, etc over the years)

• Like 1

Elias. Too many other in line for saves in Boston. Worthen , Workman, Hembree and Brazier. Cora is not affraid to use any at any time.