tonycpsu

2019 June Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Hendriks for sure the next man up?

Well, he got the save today, so it seems like at worst he's part of a committee. Can't see a reason why they'd use Trivino except when Hendriks is unavailable. 

• Thanks 1

Anyone have the cliff notes on past pitchers who have rotator cuff issues?

I thought for sure these things are 4-5 weeks minimum and that is when it is just slightly strained

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BMcP said:

Hicks with triceps tendinitis 

I should have gone to med school since I never have any idea what all these injuries actually mean.

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

Castillo has completely melted down. Doing his best A.J. Minter impersonation. 🙃

Alvarado is coming back just in time to seize the closer role again.  Or to join the dumpster fire.

51 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Boston's entire bullpen is just trash right now.

Just now?  More like all season. 

Also I think they are just one person they cloned.  I mean have you seen them?  Every last one of them are white guys with brown beards.  I can't tell them apart and I watch Sox games all the time. 

Only difference with them is they have different numbers on their uniforms but of course no names on the home white uniforms so unless you memorize their numbers you have no idea who is pitching by just looking at the screen since all of them suck including Barnes today.

24 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

I'm still right that Boston's situation is pretty much pointless though since it's become a dumpster that should be lit on fire by Alex Cora and Theo Epstein.  Today being a prime example.  How they managed to blow that lead against Toronto is pretty sad.

Theo is back in Boston?  Don't tell the Cubbies.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

Anyone like Minter to retake the closer role?

Been discussed quite a bit. There looked to be an opportunity, but Jackson got the next save chance. He’s the closer barring another blown save (or 2?). And looks like Swarzak is next in line, as Minter continues to pitch the 7th.

Long term do I think it’s possible? Yeah. But not sure I’d hold that long.

• Like 1

Castillo blows.  He has no command.  I don't care how hard he throws or how much movement he gets.

4 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

why didnt taylor rodgers get the save today?

He gave up the tying run in the 8th for a BS.  Then May came in to get the win with Parker getting the save in the 10th

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Looks like KC had 2 on, no outs, so they probably wanted their best arm in to try to avoid as much damage as possible.

Edited by fatbob166

Trivino had already been pulled from high leverage situations before Treinen went down. Happened a couple days ago. Liam is who I'd say is next in line, and though nothing is definitive until it actually happens, I would be stunned if it was Lou over Liam.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Because there is no clear cut closer in Minnesota

• Like 2

This Hicks thing is gonna be sneaky bad

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Theo is back in Boston?  Don't tell the Cubbies.

Time to put on an I'm With Stupid shirt and look in the mirror....

Edited by KilloWertz

23 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Some decent news on Leclerc. Kelley took the L and Leclerc pitched well in high pressure situations. 

And martin has the best numbers by far over the last 3+ weeks

Kelley has worked two straight days, and it was Martin who got the vulture save, not Leclerc.

1 minute ago, Caelum said:

Kelley has worked two straight days, and it was Martin who got the vulture save, not Leclerc.

Yep, and kelly has struggled lately FWIW

9 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

I have no idea honestly, but they better make sure they get a ton for him if they do decide to deal him given his contract (and what they gave up to get him themselves).

If he does get dealt though, I do think there's a decent enough chance he goes to a team that actually needs a closer since there are several contenders that could use one.  Same situation as Will Smith in that regard.

Agree, they better get a lot for him

Really making Leclerc work for it. Not that I blame them. 

7 hours ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Wade Davis shaky again. 

But at least he ended his streak of 4 games in a row of allowing at least a run...

Sarcasm aside, I guess he's one more blown save away from handing the job to Oberg.  I know they're paying him a ton of money, but he's been awful for nearly two months now and wasn't even that great to start the season (5 straight games with a walk).

• Haha 1