smarmy

Nick Madrigal - 2B CWS

Since May 13 he’s batting .328 with 2 HRs and 11 SBs. Gold glove defense. Lowest K% in the minors. Will be a MLB regular sooner than later. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, smarmy said:

Since May 13 he’s batting .328 with 2 HRs and 11 SBs. Gold glove defense. Lowest K% in the minors. Will be a MLB regular sooner than later. 

What's his fantasy upside?  Great average and SBs with 8-10 Hrs?

10 minutes ago, smarmy said:

Thanks for the link. That said, don't know the writer or whether or not he has much cred on the prospect/scouting front. That's the first time I've seen 12-20HR projections for him.  That would be great if he could get to the median of 15 and with 25-30SB potential puts him as a top 3 round pick, imo, if it all comes together.

by RotoWire Staff
(23 mins ago) Madrigal was promoted to Double-A Birmingham on Wednesday, Daryl Van Schouwen of the Chicago Sun-Times reports.

Madrigal found his groove with High-A Winston-Salem prior to earning a promotion, slashing .307/.372/.427 with two homers and 11 stolen bases over his last 19 games with the Dash. If the 22-year-old holds his own in his first go around at Double-A, he could get a taste of Triple-A before the end of the season.

• Like 1

Future leadoff hitter in front of Robert, Moncada, Jimenez, Anderson, Abreu (if resigned), etc.  Hell, we just got a college slugger named Vaughn with the #3 overall pick.  

Should be a major contributor in AVG, runs, and SB.  I’m guessing maybe 8-12 HR, but more RBI than you’d expect because the lineup is gonna be so devastating.

These are very exciting times for Sox fans.

• Like 1

More than likely he ends up a #9 hitter unless he can up his walk rate or consistently hit .300+. Moncada-Robert-Vaughn-Eloy-Anderson-Collins should be a pretty nifty 1-6 and I don't see them knocking everyone back a spot for a guy who will more than likely struggle to get to a .700 OPS. 

Vaughn is one of the best hitters I've ever seen outside of the big leagues. I feel like he could almost play in AAA right now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sleepysock said:

More than likely he ends up a #9 hitter unless he can up his walk rate or consistently hit .300+. Moncada-Robert-Vaughn-Eloy-Anderson-Collins should be a pretty nifty 1-6 and I don't see them knocking everyone back a spot for a guy who will more than likely struggle to get to a .700 OPS. 

#9 may ultimately be the case, but assuming Madrigal fulfills his promise and becomes a .375 OBP type, I’d like him at the top of the order.

1. Madrigal 2. Robert 3. Moncada 4. Abreu 5. Jimenez 6. Vaughn 7. Anderson 8. McCann/Collins 

Tremendous speed 1-3, maximum # of at bats for Madrigal, more RBI chances for Robert and Moncada, etc.

I’m a White Sox homer and all, but this could be a top 3 lineup in baseball in a couple years, with or without Abreu.  Minimal payroll too, so they could add a quality offensive player via free agency.

The hope of Madrigal is like a (very) poor man’s Ichiro, where you pretty much have to ignore his SLG percentage because he’s strictly a table-setter.  Let’s hope he walks a lot more than Ichiro did (6% career rate).

He made his debut at Double A last night and went 3-4 with 3 singles and 2 steals.  He also got caught stealing, though.  We can’t have that, Nick.

• Haha 1

So I guess he’s awfully excited to be in Double A because he’s hitting .538.  Small sample size and all, but god damn.  Now up to 22 steals on the season.  I know Moncada stole 50 in 2015 and 45 in 2016, and he’s presently being held back, but I think that BS goes out the window with Madrigal.  Give him the perpetual green light.

The SB is one of the most exciting aspects of the game and they are phasing it out for the most part.  I have a feeling that Madrigal will be an exception, though.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, einstein2u said:

so no chance he is up this year?

I can't imagine anything earlier than April 2020 unless the White Sox are legitimately contending for the WC2 in August.

So yes. No chance.

3-4 w/ 2sb last night. Now has 25 steals while striking out a grand total 7 times on the season. 7!

37 minutes ago, smarmy said:

3-4 w/ 2sb last night. Now has 25 steals while striking out a grand total 7 times on the season. 7!

And only one time in 15 games at AA so far. With his performance, the leaps forward for Moncada/Anderson/Robert, Jimenez just scratching the surface and the drafting of Vaughn, I'd say Madrigal's dynasty stock has risen back up (and even beyond) where it was when he was drafted despite the lack of power. He's in a great situation.

Now 25 games in with 108 plate appearances and still flirting with a .400 average.

.392 AVG/180 WRC/.940 OPS/9.3% walk rate

28 SB between A & AA

Maybe the White Sox have realized that Charlotte is their only team with playoff hopes.  Plus maybe Robert leading off and Madrigal batting second is a prelude to the White Sox lineup next year?

11 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Maybe the White Sox have realized that Charlotte is their only team with playoff hopes.  Plus maybe Robert leading off and Madrigal batting second is a prelude to the White Sox lineup next year?

I could see it the other way around by midseason next year; Robert has too much power to bat lead off on that team. He also probably won’t be a high OBP guy right away. Two would be an ideal spot for him since he’ll probably see more fastballs there hitting in front of Moncada (guessing he will be the 3 hitter next season) than anywhere else. 

Unreal that he ended with a 44/16 BB/K rate. Goes with his 35 SB in 120 minor league games. He could be a nice weapon in drafts for late speed. Literally only Leury Garcia is blocking him. Maybe he gets the service time treatment and is held back for 2-3 weeks but I'd expect him to be in Chicago by the end of April.