CooL

Commisioner's Corner 2019

48 minutes ago, CooL said:

Fair enough. But can anybody explain why trade 1 was subject to waiver rules while trade 2 only gives the “protest and send commish a note” option? The trade hasn’t been officially processed so still seems to be under the two day rule. Just don’t understand why it is different. 

The sinister explanation is shenanigans.

The innocent explanation is the veto option will pop up after the deal goes through.

4 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

The sinister explanation is shenanigans.

The innocent explanation is the veto option will pop up after the deal goes through.

So I'm guessing shenanigans and the commish pushed it through.  As far as I understand Yahoo veto, the league is given two days to vote against the trade, and if there's not enough votes, then the trade is processed.  This second trade is not even giving us the option of vetoing it.

If the commish changes the rules this will generally be seen on your league page. He would need to do so to push through a trade with a league vote setting. And if it is pushed through you should see it in the completed transactions section.

Can anyone explain how this happened to me?

November 20, midnight: Matt Breida gets added as a free agent, two hours before weekly waivers run.
November 20, 2:20 a.m.: Waivers run.  Multiple waiver pickups are made.

SF played on Thursday; all players should have waiver locked through Tuesday overnight weekly waiver.  Yet somehow Breida got added outside of the waiver process two hours prior.  I wouldn't have added the guy anyway so I'm not upset about this, I just thought it was very, very odd.

(This is a Yahoo league.)

7 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

November 20, midnight: Matt Breida gets added as a free agent, two hours before weekly waivers run.

SF played on Thursday; all players should have waiver locked through Tuesday overnight weekly waiver.  Yet somehow Breida got added outside of the waiver process two hours prior.  I wouldn't have added the guy anyway so I'm not upset about this, I just thought it was very, very odd.

This happens in Yahoo leagues sometimes. It isn't shenanigans, just a computer glitch.

• Like 1

On Yahoo all players become free agents at 3AM eastern on Wednesday unless they were claimed on waivers. If they were claimed then they are locked until waivers are processed. You can pick up any unclaimed player at 3AM before waivers are actually run.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's not a glitch. There is just a small space of time where all the non-claimed players are available while the claimed players are processing. But it shouldn't be two hours apart. That part doesn't sound accurate, and this is coming from someone that wakes up very early to take advantage of grabbing FAs before anyone else.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

12 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Yeah, it's not a glitch. There is just a small space of time where all the non-claimed players are available while the claimed players are processing. But it shouldn't be two hours apart. That part doesn't sound accurate, and this is coming from someone that wakes up very early to take advantage of grabbing FAs before anyone else.

Yeah, nothing funny going on here.  Basically you had a league mate that wanted to save waiver priority or FAAB, so waited until right after waivers locked.  So he got him as a free agent for free since apparently nobody in your league put in a claim for Breida.

Usually in my experience the time from waivers locking (12 am PST) to waivers being processed is about 1.5-2 hours.  Sometimes it is amazingly fast, processing at perhaps 12:40 am.  Last night our league didn't process until 4 am.  Doesn't seem like there's any set time that you can expect them to clear.  But staying up until waivers lock (easier to do on the west coast) is a strategy that I'm sure many of us have used for years.  Early bird (or late bird depending how you look at it) gets the worm.

• Like 2

Ah, I see, there's a lag time between waivers being processed and the results thereof being "announced."  Thanks all.

2 minutes ago, KennyWoo said:

Ah, I see, there's a lag time between waivers being processed and the results thereof being "announced."  Thanks all.

Basically.  

Waivers lock (12 AM PST) ----- "processing time" ------ Claims announced/processed/posted.

If you look at the "available" player list at 12:01 AM, you will either see them as W or FA.  Anybody who was dropped within two days before his team's game and thus didn't have time to clear and become a free agent (so say a player dropped on Saturday) and anybody who has a claim is on Waivers.  Everyone else is a Free Agent.  So free agents are ripe for the picking at 12:01.  But another thing to keep in mind is that not all of the "W" players at 12:01 will end up being taken.  Some owners will put in multiple claims, but they won't end up with all of them.  For instance, they put in a claim for Jonathan Williams drop Mostert, Jordan Wilkins drop Mostert, and Nyheim Hines drop Mostert.  If another team gets Williams, say this guy gets Wilkins, and Hines will become a free agent.  But you won't see that at 12:01, you'd see a W next to Hines.  But at 2:00 am (or whenever waivers process that week for your league), Hines will revert to a free agent.  So there's really two opportunities for you to pick up guys without spending your waiver priority or FAAB.  

• Like 1

Does anyone else feel like TDs need to be worth less than 6 points for RB/WR/TE? 

Just looking at two of my players from the past week in 0.5 PPR - Davante Adams and Melvin Gordon

Davante had a great game with 13 catches for 116 yards and put up 16.1 points 

Gordon puts up a 9-15-2 rushing line, 6 catches for 32 yards and gets 19.7 points

I just feel like those numbers from Gordon are so cheap, especially since they were both scores from the one yard line. Full point PPR evens it out a bit though.

Anyone been in leagues where TDs were only worth 3 or 4 points?

2 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

Does anyone else feel like TDs need to be worth less than 6 points for RB/WR/TE? 

Just looking at two of my players from the past week in 0.5 PPR - Davante Adams and Melvin Gordon

Gordon puts up a 9-15-2 rushing line, 6 catches for 32 yards and gets 19.7 points

I just feel like those numbers from Gordon are so cheap, especially since they were both scores from the one yard line. Full point PPR evens it out a bit though.

So you're basically asking if there are leagues that reward yardage instead of TDs.  I doubt that there are any leagues where a TD for a non-QB is worth anything but 6 points.  To even things out, maybe you propose those 100 yard and 300 passing yard bonuses.

• Like 1

Leaning more towards yardage definitely takes a bit of the luck element out since scoring TD's is not always predictable or equitable. For example, stud RB picks up 60 yards on a drive and is gassed by the time they get to the 1 yard line and his backup walks in for a TD. The backup actually scored more by .1. Seems dumb and it is. However, I think most people just accept that's how the game works and learn to enjoy the randomness of things especially since over the season the studs get plenty of TD's and it's not a huge deal. But, in small samples it is frustrating. It may also make it more exciting since you can always pick up the 3rd WR and hope he gets the TD and salvages his meager stat line.

I did play in a league that was designed to be more "fair" and it was good. TD's were 4 points and there were defensive players and other elements that took some of the luck out of the equation. Definitely tailored more to hardcore players. It wasn't more or less fun but just different. I'm sure if you started a league like that you could find people to fill it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I feel this way about full PPR. A screen pass for zero yards is worth more than a 9 yard run. Makes no sense. 

I don't think I'd consider making TDs less than 6 myself, but get your reasoning.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooL said:

So you're basically asking if there are leagues that reward yardage instead of TDs.  I doubt that there are any leagues where a TD for a non-QB is worth anything but 6 points.  To even things out, maybe you propose those 100 yard and 300 passing yard bonuses.

Good call, I think I will add these bonuses next year. 

Will be making the welcome change from team DST to IDP in my main league - what's the common way to execute? DL LB CB/S? One or two "flexs" ? 

So we have a yahoo keeper league at work.  Been running for 5 years now or so.  Someone in my league dropped Mark Ingram before the games on Sunday (week 16) and added Antonio Brown.  With our rules, if you add someone off waivers during the year, you can keep them the next year for an 8th round pick.  That being said, someone put a waiver claim in for Mark Ingram, and even though our year ends after week 16, the waiver claim for Mark Ingram was processed yesterday morning.  The owner that dropped Ingram is messaging me saying that transaction shouldn't have happened because the year ends after week 16, and this transaction occurred after the season.  What should I do?    

35 minutes ago, crazyfingers711 said:

So we have a yahoo keeper league at work.  Been running for 5 years now or so.  Someone in my league dropped Mark Ingram before the games on Sunday (week 16) and added Antonio Brown.  With our rules, if you add someone off waivers during the year, you can keep them the next year for an 8th round pick.  That being said, someone put a waiver claim in for Mark Ingram, and even though our year ends after week 16, the waiver claim for Mark Ingram was processed yesterday morning.  The owner that dropped Ingram is messaging me saying that transaction shouldn't have happened because the year ends after week 16, and this transaction occurred after the season.  What should I do?    

I agree with the Ingram owner, the LM (you) should void that transaction. 

33 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

it is ok to edit league transactions? 

a) yes

b) no 

c) wtf?

1 hour ago, crazyfingers711 said:

Do you allow trading or pickups in the offseason since it is a keeper league? I’d say if you allow trading in the off-season then unless you have something written stating no other transactions other than trades in the off-season then I’d say you have to let it go. 

I think an argument can be made as well that since the transaction was submitted prior to the season ending that it should be allowed to go through. 

This is one of those things that you may need to just allow unless you have a rule in place already that makes this type of thing nice and tidy. Those at my thoughts. 

• Thanks 1

Cutting and pasting my reply in the other thread that was started for the above Yahoo question...

I think your league needs to set better waiver rules.  I don't agree that you can just say the owner can have Ingram for a 4th round pick, that seems so arbitrary.  If Yahoo allowed the claim, then the season is still obviously ongoing.  We've had people get claims processed after the season "technically" ends, and yes, they were for keeper picks for next year.  Usually what happens is that teams on Sunday morning week 16 drop players that they aren't using and then speculate for next year.  The dropped players won't affect any playoff outcomes because they'll still be locked in waivers.  But if somebody puts in a claim for those dropped players, they will still indeed be processed and placed on the new team.  Even though on Tuesday morning, Yahoo locks all adds and drops.

I would say you have to let it through.  But again, some league discussion needs to happen.  As an aside, I think that's a ridiculous keeper rule that anybody who is picked up on waivers can be kept.  Wasn't Antonio Brown drafted?  Mark Ingram was obviously drafted.  Yet you're going to let these high draft picks be kept for 8th rounders?  NO!  So that means if any high draft pick busts, if you don't want anybody else in your league to benefit from them next year, you have to keep the turds on your bench and roster the entire year?  You should consider a "you can keep a player for round [X -1]", so if Mark Ingram was a 3rd round draft pick, the next year he would cost a 2nd rounder.  Or a more simple rule saying "No players in the first three rounds can be kept".  Anything is better than the way you are doing it now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazyfingers711 said:

it is ok to edit league transactions? 

a) yes

b) no 

c) wtf?

You asked.. What should I do? 
I gave my opinion based on this.. and even though our year ends after week 16. That to me has only one meaning. No free agent adds after week 16. No pickups after week 16. 

Since you liked Great Scott! post, and It seemed like you didn’t like my opinion. 
I must ask. 

Are you the one who made claim for Mark Ingram? 

Edited by shakestreet

4 hours ago, GreatScott! said:

Do you allow trading or pickups in the offseason since it is a keeper league? I’d say if you allow trading in the off-season then unless you have something written stating no other transactions other than trades in the off-season then I’d say you have to let it go. 

I think an argument can be made as well that since the transaction was submitted prior to the season ending that it should be allowed to go through. 

This is one of those things that you may need to just allow unless you have a rule in place already that makes this type of thing nice and tidy. Those at my thoughts. 

I agree with this, you have to let it go through.

On 12/26/2019 at 11:21 AM, shakestreet said:

IF the league is truly over with nothing to play for, there should be no transactions once everyone is locked going into your last week and blind bid should be done the week before unless its common place to buy lottery tickets week 17.  This is where as commish you need to set rules, even if the "system" lets people process because you forgot to set.  

• Thanks 1

curious what your tie breakers are?  Our championship game ended in a tie, its not a league I commissioner, so I know what I would do, which is first and foremost have decimal scoring.   Our tie breaker in my main league, if by some miracle teams tie in playoffs with decimal scoring is the higher seed moves on or wins the Championship in the case of a tie.