CooL

Jaylen Samuels 2019 Outlook

This guy may or may not be terrible.  He won a lot of ships last year.  He hasn't looked great aside from that first game with all the wildcat.  Even last week with the 13 grabs, he ran poorly.  But the main problem is his QB is terrible and looks like he might be second string on a high school team.

Everyone used to always say that Pitts RB1 was money and a product of the o-line and the scheme.  Well, Big Ben seems to be a huge part of that as well.  And maybe having a dominant WR like AB. 

He was useful for these last several weeks but not great.  He's now droppable.

Just now, CooL said:

This guy may or may not be terrible.  He won a lot of ships last year.  He hasn't looked great aside from that first game with all the wildcat.  Even last week with the 13 grabs, he ran poorly.  But the main problem is his QB is terrible and looks like he might be second string on a high school team.

Everyone used to always say that Pitts RB1 was money and a product of the o-line and the scheme.  Well, Big Ben seems to be a huge part of that as well.  And maybe having a dominant WR like AB. 

He was useful for these last several weeks but not great.  He's now droppable.

that Conner kid is pretty good, banging rb1 #s out with Rudolph ...

5 minutes ago, pastorofmuppets2 said:

that Conner kid is pretty good, banging rb1 #s out with Rudolph ...

Ah yes, of course.  True that.  And he's apparently coming back Thursday.  Which makes this JAG even more droppable.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CooL said:

Ah yes, of course.  True that.  And he's apparently coming back Thursday.  Which makes this JAG even more droppable.

😄

well said, mah man 👍

I'm wondering if he's even worth holding as a handcuff? With Conner in he might have even more standalone value as a passcatching RB. Because when Conner is out he isn't strong enough to be a bell cow and gets into an ugly committee. 

And having Mason Rudolph as the qb doesn't necessarily help his cause. 

23 minutes ago, potatoetree said:

I'm wondering if he's even worth holding as a handcuff? With Conner in he might have even more standalone value as a passcatching RB. Because when Conner is out he isn't strong enough to be a bell cow and gets into an ugly committee. 

Bingo

This week demonstrated that even though Conner picks up a new injury every time he plays, you can’t really start Samuels with confidence when everyone else is injured, meaning he’s not worth rostering as a handcuff.

The whole reason you’re rostering a little-used backup is that you can bank on volume if/when the starter goes down. Samuels has rushed for minimal gain enough attempts that even 20 attempts is only guaranteed to give you 40 yards. You’re banking on checkdowns in PPR. I don’t likes it.

• Like 2

My guess is Jaylen will be like Chris Thompson, Tarik Cohen, James White style of player. 

But holding both on the same team means Conner and Jaylen is taking up two roster spots when Jaylen is really a ppr flex at best with Conner in. And when Conner is out he's a risky start at best. 

So based on this, and what other have said, I might hold on one more week just to see how they are used when both healthy in the line up. To start the season jaylen barely saw any touches. Then they did that gimmicky scatback thing. Then jaylen was injured. Then conner was injured. Then Rams had the bye week to plan for the Steelers crippled running game. 

So after this week if Jaylen is a crappy version of James White , then  I think he's dispensable for a high upside handcuff (pollard, Mattison) type player. This is assuming you have enough depth at running back aside from Conner though. 

4 hours ago, atdharris said:

I said people calling him an RB1 would be disappointed. Samuels is not a traditional RB. 

He's not, but he's put up low-end RB1 numbers when he had been the feature back, so that's the data we had to work with (albeit a small sample size).

4 hours ago, potatoetree said:

Unfortunately I'd have to say no. As mentioned, it wasn't just the Oline making every RB in the offense productive, it was Ben, AB, and an overall explosive offense. I don't think you'd ever feel real confident starting him ROS even with Conner out. 

I'm going to keep an eye on Conner's practice reports. If he's looking to still be out, I will hang on to him to keep the Conner owner [extremely RB needy right now] from picking him up, then drop next week. If Conner looks to be a go, I'll drop Samuels before the TNF game and start checking out the WW.

2 minutes ago, bwarbiany said:

I'm going to keep an eye on Conner's practice reports. If he's looking to still be out, I will hang on to him to keep the Conner owner [extremely RB needy right now] from picking him up, then drop next week. If Conner looks to be a go, I'll drop Samuels before the TNF game and start checking out the WW.

Should be starter ROS (fantasy season anyway). Hope people who dropped him are ready to bid up again

Edited by cyberer
  • Thanks 1

Really unfortunate for those who took the team at their word about Conner's injury and dropped this guy. I was THIS close but didn't fully buy that Conner was healthy. Unfortunately he's demonstrated he's not a RB1 but given their schedule I think we can at least expect RB2 numbers. 

6 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

Really unfortunate for those who took the team at their word about Conner's injury and dropped this guy. I was THIS close but didn't fully buy that Conner was healthy. Unfortunately he's demonstrated he's not a RB1 but given their schedule I think we can at least expect RB2 numbers. 

61k on Yahoo dropped him at some point prior to the game tonight. Why??? We always pickup/hold the backup RBs before TNF. C’mon ya’ll! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

61k on Yahoo dropped him at some point prior to the game tonight. Why??? We always pickup/hold the backup RBs before TNF. C’mon ya’ll! 

THIS.

15 minutes ago, martinjlm said:

Held on🙏🏽

I held on to him to handcuff with Conner and...I'm not super psyched about any of this. Even if Conner is out for a long time/rest of season he still is stuck playing for a team with an ATROCIOUS quarterback who's 2 best WRs are probably out for at least one game if not more (both left the game with concussions, Johnson was bleeding from his ear). I guess that means there's not really anybody else to take away targets but that also means there's not really anybody else to take away the defense's attention. I'm not really sure how productive he's going to be moving forward. The Steelers offense may be falling in to "start almost any DST against them" territory after this week. 

• Like 1

I held but he sucks though. Cincy is a good matchup so I’d probably consider him there but the offense is beyond putrid with Rudolph and he’s losing touches to other RBs

6 hours ago, yossarian said:

I held on to him to handcuff with Conner and...I'm not super psyched about any of this. Even if Conner is out for a long time/rest of season he still is stuck playing for a team with an ATROCIOUS quarterback who's 2 best WRs are probably out for at least one game if not more (both left the game with concussions, Johnson was bleeding from his ear). I guess that means there's not really anybody else to take away targets but that also means there's not really anybody else to take away the defense's attention. I'm not really sure how productive he's going to be moving forward. The Steelers offense may be falling in to "start almost any DST against them" territory after this week. 

Yeah I of course dropped him just prior to the game but not too upset about it. Tomlin will sprinkle in Edmonds and that other special teams guy, Snell back soon, Rudolph awful, and pretty much every single WR is out with a concussion.

Cinci D may be a better play then Samuels next week.

8 hours ago, WayneFontes said:

TD dependent bum.

3 minutes ago, kyoun1e said:

Yeah I of course dropped him just prior to the game but not too upset about it. Tomlin will sprinkle in Edmonds and that other special teams guy, Snell back soon, Rudolph awful, and pretty much every single WR is out with a concussion.

Cinci D may be a better play then Samuels next week.

The level of cope from people who irrationally dropped Samuels