CooL

Jaylen Samuels 2019 Outlook

15 minutes ago, luckyshim said:

IF Conner is out, what’s Samuels’ value like with Ben out of the season?

With Ben out the biggest strength of this team has to be its O-line. With no Ben they are obviously going to run more and try to utilize their line, because I don’t see them winning a single game if they drop Rudolph back 50 times and they try to make him into Ben. One downside is there may be less catches to the RBs as I could see them installing more quick routes to get the ball out where Ben would extend plays and often would dump those plays to the back.

I think Conner could be a standard low end RB1 high end RB2 in PPR if healthy and Samuels would probably be in the same boat but maybe a tad higher in PPR (If Conner is fully out).

Another thought is Ben loved to pass down close to the goal line I wonder if they let Rudolph do the same or if they’ll run more when they get down there? There are a lot of questions with this offense and unfortunately with how Tomlin is we probably won’t have any answers until next Sunday.

Edited by Ddam2013
  • Like 1

One of the more predictable lotto tickets. 

Quick pulse check. Conner has 2.5 yards per carry and already missing practice due to injury. 

I'm also holding until whenever I must drop him (to fill in byes).  I drafted him in one league for the same reason.  Even with the Pittsburgh troubles, I see substantial upside here if he gets the lead role.  Conner appears to be healthy but you never know.  

1 hour ago, KennyWoo said:

I'm also holding until whenever I must drop him (to fill in byes).  I drafted him in one league for the same reason.  Even with the Pittsburgh troubles, I see substantial upside here if he gets the lead role.  Conner appears to be healthy but you never know.  

When they say Conner's knee is "manageable" it makes it sound worse imo.  

Didn't get a single carry or target today but some how Benny Snell did?

On the bright side Connor looked awful and fumbled away the victory for Pit. Might be worth holding on to considering Connor's injury history.

3 minutes ago, AJ92 said:

Didn't get a single carry or target today but some how Benny Snell did?

On the bright side Connor looked awful and fumbled away the victory for Pit. Might be worth holding on to considering Connor's injury history.

I'm a believer in Samuels but this offense did not look good. Hoping it's just on the road and it's his first start, but the 49ers defense also just might be that much better at this point. 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, Tenner said:

One of the more predictable lotto tickets. 

Quick pulse check. Conner has 2.5 yards per carry and already missing practice due to injury. 

Managed 3.3 ypc today with a game losing fumble. 

Jaylen has to get his shot. 

When is this guy going to get a fair shot? Conner is just not doing it for them and this team could really use a shot in the arm in the running game.

• Like 1

I felt a lot better about Samuels as a handcuff when Ben was playing and I figured the offense was going to be similar to last season. 

Now that I see how little Conner is doing, along with Snell getting some run last week, leads me to think it would be a Samuels/Snell split if Conner went down in and offense that is severely diminished compared to last season.

Bottom line, I do not think Samuels should be in the Mattison/Pollard tier of handcuffs any more.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I felt a lot better about Samuels as a handcuff when Ben was playing and I figured the offense was going to be similar to last season. 

Now that I see how little Conner is doing, along with Snell getting some run last week, leads me to think it would be a Samuels/Snell split if Conner went down in and offense that is severely diminished compared to last season.

Bottom line, I do not think Samuels should be in the Mattison/Pollard tier of handcuffs any more.  

I was high on Samuels last week too and the snap share started to shift, but I do feel Samuels is better than Snell. But too many questions with the offense right now that Samuels upside is really capped vs his rb1 upside last year

57 minutes ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

I completely agree.  I was high on Samuels in the offseason and was buying shares wherever I could.  Now, I think he belongs in Detroit Drop City.

1 hour ago, johnnyboy8102 said:

Absolutely not. And it's not even close. As mentioned, Samuels was a valuable cuff assuming the offense was as explosive as last year. Conner's been a RB3 with a full workload. Samuels would be in a timeshare with Snell. Easy drop. 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, johnnyboy8102 said:

Well I stand corrected. This post didn’t age well. 

Ppr gold. All those shovel passes.

Signal (big shift in philosophy to get Samuels more involved in the offense as a PPR jack-of-all-trades) or Noise (one-off performance against sive-like Bengals run defense)?

If it's the former, then Samuels is not just a hand-cuff anymore; he would be a RB2...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, n00chness said:

Signal (big shift in philosophy to get Samuels more involved in the offense as a PPR jack-of-all-trades) or Noise (one-off performance against sive-like Bengals run defense)?

If it's the former, then Samuels is not just a hand-cuff anymore; he would be a RB2...

Truth lies somewhere in between. RB3/4 until we see a pattern of usage.

1 minute ago, n00chness said:

This is the key question. Leaning Signal....but only 60/40

11 minutes ago, n00chness said:

Not sure this line can support two RB2 against even decent teams.

1 hour ago, babyfaceassasin said:

How did this guy go from 0 touches last week to league winner this week. Ah the beauty of fantasy football 

They faced the worst team in the NFL.

• Like 2

They knew what they had in him at the end of last season. The Steelers badly needed a boost and he delivered. Should at least be a serviceable bye week replacement with the possibility for much more. I know they played the Bengals but this is the NFL. I highly doubt this was just a flash in the pan scenario.