Sign in to follow this  
kidtwentytwo

Players It’s Time to Old Yeller - 2019

I'm looking at Victor Robles but doing so makes me very uneasy

On 6/15/2019 at 8:10 AM, Evincar said:

I finally said goodbye to Puig. I fell for the contract year/hitters ballpark BS.

Thanks for the boost!

• Haha 3

Rage dropped Givens. Time to put that guy out on the farm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pushaZ said:

I'm looking at Victor Robles but doing so makes me very uneasy

I'm nearing that point. Mercado is looking at me from the waiver wire.

22 minutes ago, street sharks said:

I'm nearing that point. Mercado is looking at me from the waiver wire.

Not sure what you have going, but I'd love to have both personally. Robles has been in a lil funk, but his body of work, pedigree, and eyeball test are what championships are made from. Patience.

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2019 at 6:30 PM, LarryChip10 said:

Not sure what you have going, but I'd love to have both personally. Robles has been in a lil funk, but his body of work, pedigree, and eyeball test are what championships are made from. Patience.

Man, I hope you’re right.  The guy has been a 0 factory for like 5 weeks now.  I remember picking him up from the pound, I was so happy.  I’ll listen to your words though and hold a bit longer.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 96mnc said:

Drew Smyly 

Dan Straily 

Been rooting for the guy a long time.  Guy just can't seem to get in a groove on the mound.  IDK if it is the elbow, his mechanics, or even if he is tipping his pitches.  Has double the HR/9 and BB/9 of his worst year prior to this one.   13 HR allowed in last 23.2 IP.

3 hours ago, Cesare13 said:

Man, I hope you’re right.  The guy has been a 0 factory for like 5 weeks now.  I remember picking him up from the pound, I was so happy.  I’ll listen to your words though and hold a bit longer.

Robles is similar to Ozzie Albies in the fact that two weeks ago people were standing on the edge, yet one hot streak and he’s the NL ASG starter, putting up great (prorated) season numbers for his age/position, and all is forgiven let alone forgotten. 

Robles crushed (consistently) every level of the minors, he showed great as a kid last year in limited action, and while his funk is legitimate, his season numbers are not Votto level of stank by any means. He’s also a #8 hitter in the NL... that’s never good, (nor will it last when he heats up) see O. Albies! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homerj24 said:

Joe Kelly ... ? There is no lead big enough ....

Wasn't he Old Yellered years ago or was that just by us Boston fans.

But you got to give him credit in real life.  The saying is it is better to be lucky than good.  And with a name like Kelly he might have a wee bit of the luck of the Irish going when he had his one big hot streak of his career against the Dodgers in the World Series last year.  He has enough money now from that silly contract they gave him to live comfortably for the rest of his life. 

So good for Joe.  It isn't his fault anyone put him on their fantasy team to start with anyway.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Maybe it's a bit early to shoot him, but Carlos Rodon. I watched the guy tear it up at State, the White Sox promoted him in record speed anticipating he'd be their next Chris Sale, and he's stunk it up every year.

23 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wasn't he Old Yellered years ago or was that just by us Boston fans.

But you got to give him credit in real life.  The saying is it is better to be lucky than good.  And with a name like Kelly he might have a wee bit of the luck of the Irish going when he had his one big hot streak of his career against the Dodgers in the World Series last year.  He has enough money now from that silly contract they gave him to live comfortably for the rest of his life. 

So good for Joe.  It isn't his fault anyone put him on their fantasy team to start with anyway.

I doubt that he was added to fantasy leagues unless we're talking a league that counts holds. This is more of a real life old yeller'ing. He definitely cashed in on his postseason success.I was less than thrilled with the signing when it happened, but was not expecting him to be THIS bad. I stopped keeping count, but he was responsible for 4-5 Dodger losses through the first week of May. It's amazing that a guy with so much talent can be this terrible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Homerj24 said:

I doubt that he was added to fantasy leagues unless we're talking a league that counts holds. This is more of a real life old yeller'ing. He definitely cashed in on his postseason success.I was less than thrilled with the signing when it happened, but was not expecting him to be THIS bad. I stopped keeping count, but he was responsible for 4-5 Dodger losses through the first week of May. It's amazing that a guy with so much talent can be this terrible. 

This is about Joe Kelly.  Though not used in public leagues yet I think the majority of private leagues have already either switched over to the nice combo Saves/Holds category or still have Holds as a separate category.  So yeah I think a number of fantasy managers saw the WS and bought into his new, big contract and thought he'd be a prime set-up guy on a major contender. What could possibly go wrong with that, hah.

And, unlike you, I was thrilled with the signing because that meant the Red Sox wouldn't begin to think about offering him anything near that amount, whew.  And yeah I was expecting him to be that bad.  He has always had the raw speed but has little movement on it and has never been able to control it except in very VERY small spurts like last year's World Series.  Condolences to you for him being stuck on your real hometown team now since I know the feeling.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

17 hours ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Maybe it's a bit early to shoot him, but Carlos Rodon. I watched the guy tear it up at State, the White Sox promoted him in record speed anticipating he'd be their next Chris Sale, and he's stunk it up every year.

he old yellerd himself by getting TJS 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Was hoping this thread was about old players that need to retire from the league and be euthanized. Was going to add Pujols to the list.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2019 at 9:25 AM, Sternes said:

Been rooting for the guy a long time.  Guy just can't seem to get in a groove on the mound.  IDK if it is the elbow, his mechanics, or even if he is tipping his pitches.  Has double the HR/9 and BB/9 of his worst year prior to this one.   13 HR allowed in last 23.2 IP.

Smyly officially Old Yellered today by the rangers 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FantasyFiend said:

Matt Carpenter...I just don't see it is he washed?

The guy who hit nearly 40 dingers last year?  No, prob not

10 hours ago, Mongeese said:

Tampa Bay baseball

What?  You mean the capital of strip clubs, geriatrics and Ed Hardy shirts?  One of our proudest American cities.  Totally deserving of an MLB team (dripping in sarcasm).

• Haha 1