AirForceOne

Jay Ajayi 2019 Outlook

3 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

Just picked him up and dropped Crockett or whatever just in case. Ajayi will probably be a little worse than Lamar Miller so expect Mid RB3 if he signs

Why would he be worse than miller?

• Thanks 1

Yeah this definitely did not happen.  Those edibles that Al Michaels ingested kicking in...

Just now, hard1 said:

Why would he be worse than miller?

Because he is worse than Lamar Miller. He has a troubling injury history and will concede all passing opportunities to Duke

• Like 1

How's he worse than miller? Jays averaged like 4.5 yards a carry in his career...lamar 4.3... nitpicking but injuries don't make him worse....and miller was about to cede passing duties as well...

• Like 1

Just now, hard1 said:

How's he worse than miller? Jays averaged like 4.5 yards a carry in his career...lamar 4.3... nitpicking but injuries don't make him worse....and miller was about to cede passing duties as well...

Miller would still have some production in passing game and Ajayi’s injuries absolutely factor in for me, just the nature of the injuries he has had would make it hard for him to stay healthy 

18 minutes ago, dakimbell said:

Because he is worse than Lamar Miller. He has a troubling injury history and will concede all passing opportunities to Duke

For a guy like Ajayi who most folks will have picked up off the WW if their league has already drafted, a free RB3 and possible borderline backend RB2 from the WW is a good get.  Not everyone has the good fortune to have a solid depth player at the RB position fall into their laps.  And if you had rostered Lamar Miller as your Flex then you're happy to get a player like Ajayi would be a rough 1-for-1 replacement. 

Assuming he comes back PEDed to the gills, he could return the same value Lamar was going to give which is a low end RB2 at best behind that line.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Proto24 said:

Worth throwing a few FAAB dollars at him?

I would, Texans pass game is one of the top in the game if he does sign he will have plenty of opportunity to score tds 

Why everyone assuming he's going to step into a feature/significant role?

He was available when the Texans traded a valuable pick for Duke.  They could've just signed Ajayi then...

I think Duke is still gonna be the guy, with 15-20 touches a game.

Ajayi is (or, would be) there for depth and to take a handful of carries off Duke's hands.

I see his cap at 10 carries/game, and that's probably overstating it by double

• Like 1

I think a move like this would be purely for RB depth. After Duke there is nothing really. So they'd get an experienced guy in there. I'm assuming Ajayi or Hyde. Plus, Duke has had injury of his own he's recovering from. I really doubt anyone they bring in is going to get any even split. It's Duke's job to lose.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SadFaceHappy said:

He was available when the Texans traded a valuable pick for Duke.  They could've just signed Ajayi then...

Ajayi is (or, would be) there for depth and to take a handful of carries off Duke's hands.

Nobody is assuming anything.  I'm unsure why some guys don't get it, folks are grabbing Ajayi either because they're picking up the pieces from losing Lamar Miller and Ajayi is the best remaining merchandise on a relatively bare FA shelf, or they're hoping to proactively gain some RB depth at a cheap cost.  People have been spoiled in recent years thinking they can just waltz up to the counter and grab RB1 level talents off the WW at least once if not multiple times early in the season. You're not guaranteed sh!t in fantasy and if you want to turn away Ajayi because "he might have a 10 carry/game cap" then feel free. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SadFaceHappy said:

Yeah, people are probably forgetting that Duke has been recovering from a hamstring injury. So, Lamar going down created a big depth problem for Houston. Anybody they bring in is a little insurance for Duke, not a Lamar replacement.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

Yeah, people are probably forgetting that Duke has been recovering from a hamstring injury. So, Lamar going down created a big depth problem for Houston. Anybody they bring in is a little insurance for Duke, not a Lamar replacement.

Lmao Duke can’t carry the workload and be a skat back at the same time he will be worrying about bigger Injuries than a hammy no offense , he’s going to play the chris Thompson role or Darren sproles role, stop the non sense, they need a back to carry the load that miller left behind 

• Like 1

Duke was picked up as a compliment to Lamar, back when Lamar was still healthy.
So there are 2 possibilities.
A: They're still looking for a back to fill the Miller role and Duke's will be unchanged.
B: Duke will take Miller's role, and they're looking for a back to be the CoP and/or Committee to Duke.

No one knows whether it's A or B.  No one on this damn forum at least.  You pick up Ajayi, JUST IN CASE it's A.
If you don't think it's A, that's perfectly reasonable.  But to come in here and openly admit you aren't intelligent enough to comprehend that A is a possibility, is extremely telling.

I'm not sure if they'll pick up Ajayi.
Even if they do, I'm not sure he'd even get the starting role.
Even if he is the starter, I'm not overly confident he'd be worth a damn in it.
What I do know is that Duke could beat Terrance West, Isaiah Crowell, or Carlos Hyde for lead back duties.  Combine that with the fact that I know how this forum views all 3 of the aforementioned backs... says plenty to me about putting all my chips in the Duke Johnson basket.

It's a 15th round pick here people, sometimes you don't have to over analyze it.
Throw your darts, let people throw theirs, and move on with your business.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, FFCollusion said:

So there are 2 possibilities.
A: They're still looking for a back to fill the Miller role and Duke's will be unchanged.
B: Duke will take Miller's role, and they're looking for a back to be the CoP and/or Committee to Duke.

C : They need to add a running back who won't get Watson killed in pass protection.  Duke is good, but the UDFA's didn't look so hot tonight when it came to blocking.  It's not one of Ajayi's strong suits, Gase hated him for half assing his pass protection on occasion.  

20 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

C : They need to add a running back who won't get Watson killed in pass protection.  Duke is good, but the UDFA's didn't look so hot tonight when it came to blocking.  It's not one of Ajayi's strong suits, Gase hated him for half assing his pass protection on occasion.  

That's true but not many fantasy leagues reward pass blocking. It's a dart throw and a pretty lazy one that doesn't think much deeper than Texans are down their previous starter and Ajayi is one of the best rushers that's currently a FA. He can be had at a pretty low cost, possibly free so I don't see the point in nitpicking proactively adding him if you have the roster spot to spare. Sure a lot of things can happen in the next few days but worse case you drop him and pickup another dart throw. 

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

That's true but not many fantasy leagues reward pass blocking. It's a dart throw and a pretty lazy one that doesn't think much deeper than Texans are down their previous starter and Ajayi is one of the best rushers that's currently a FA. He can be had at a pretty low cost, possibly free so I don't see the point in nitpicking proactively adding him if you have the roster spot to spare. Sure a lot of things can happen in the next few days but worse case you drop him and pickup another dart throw. 

I wasn’t “nitpicking” proactively adding him, just pointing out the real life football reasons why the Texans might not add him.  For what it’s worth, I added him in a league or two when Al Michaels claimed he was signed. 

Edited by Iron-cock

Ajayi is clearly not the answer here.  Can you imagine this guy trying to run behind the Texans’ current O-Line? Forget it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Brye said:

Lmao Duke can’t carry the workload and be a skat back at the same time he will be worrying about bigger Injuries than a hammy no offense , he’s going to play the chris Thompson role or Darren sproles role, stop the non sense, they need a back to carry the load that miller left behind 

That’s a myth because of his past usage in Cleveland. He’s more than capable of handling the load. That may have been the intention before Lamar went down, but it’s not like he didn’t do it in college. 

When did duke beat out crow hyde and west for lead back duties... I really don't remember that... I must have been asleep that year... this isn't a knock this is me legit not remembering that.... what I know is the browns drafted chubb and added hunt because why? Because duke was a their feature back? Or because duke wasn't a feature back? 

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, hard1 said:

When did duke beat out crow hyde and west for lead back duties... I really don't remember that... I must have been asleep that year... this isn't a knock this is me legit not remembering that.... what I know is the browns drafted chubb and added hunt because why? Because duke was a their feature back? Or because duke wasn't a feature back? 

Why would he have to beat out anyone? Did Damien Williams? Lots of backs get the opportunity once injuries like this happen. You think they won’t give him every opportunity to show what he can do? What Cleveland did with him isn’t relevant to what he is capable of doing. I’m not sure why you want to type-cast him without any proof of your own? Cleveland has pretty much been a dumpster fire since Duke was drafted.

Edited by FitzMagic