AirForceOne

Jay Ajayi 2019 Outlook

is this speculation though and Ian trying to speak it into existence or source. if you got a free roster space  guess it warrants a speculated add. might be 1-3 weeks for it to come into fruition if he even gets signed. wouldn’t drop anyone valuable

Why are the Giants going to pay, most likely more than the other bench fodder guys they've been working out, for a guy who has no future on the roster once Barkley is back in 4-6 weeks? Doesn't add up to me.

12 minutes ago, urbank07 said:

Why are the Giants going to pay, most likely more than the other bench fodder guys they've been working out, for a guy who has no future on the roster once Barkley is back in 4-6 weeks? Doesn't add up to me.

econ 101.  supply, demand, and risk management.... 

- Ajayi is an asset, but hasn't had market offer, so probable that he's more affordable and no big guarantee's need. 

- Ajayi probably wants to prove himself

- NO REASON at all for Giants to bring back Barkley early.  Rather he is their cornerstone and they should wait to bring him back when 100% healthy

- They want competent offense with Danny Dimes in place to develop.  Would rather have a productive RB over f'n Wayne Gollum.  You don't want to leave Danny out there to the wolves...a running game helps that 

TLDR - you want a running game to help the rookie QB who is hopefully your long term solution.  You don't want risk to your franchise player till healed

Edited by thebluntman
  • Like 2

This guy stinks. His best year, all of his production came from like, 2 games against garbage defenses. Throw him behind a bad offensive line with a quarterback who is going to steal red zone carries and you're asking for trouble. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, smeeze said:

He is "close to being game-ready"?  So does that mean he's not recovered from his injury?  Has he been working out, waiting for the phone to ring? 

So no for week 4.  If he signs next week, he certainly would have very little role for week 5.  So week 6 at best?

Looks like he's ready to go soon.  Giants a possibility?  Trying to think of teams he would immediately slide in as a starter after a few weeks.

6 hours ago, Tugginroot said:

Looks like he's ready to go soon.  Giants a possibility?  Trying to think of teams he would immediately slide in as a starter after a few weeks.

What’s not possible? If it took him a few weeks on the giants, though, Barkley would be about back and they would have spent a good amount of money for that. I feel like the Texans would be best case scenario for fantasy without a long term answer in the backfield.

• Thanks 1

As previously mentioned all this guys production came in like 2-3 big games. I was once a massive Ajayi believer and was convinced he could be a top 5 RB but boy was I mistaken. That being said, if he’s healthy and fresh he could be pretty good. Worth a flier for RB needy teams.

Saw ajayi on page 2 and thought gotta be some news....nope....

wondering if I should add and hold now. Just got Gordon back early so I have a spot I can hold.

Not worth the headache IMO, even if the Giants do sign him, let someone else grab him, your likely going to get 1 decent game out of him if any. 

If he signs next week..you got Minnesota who unless you're desperate at RB you're likely not starting him, and then he's got New England who's defense has been incredible this season....and then the only game where I would even think about playing him is vs the Cardinals....and then after that most likely Barkley is back....

I was actually thinking about stashing him but when I looked him up he's on waivers currently, because yahoo has his team listed as Philly who played last night...

7 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I was actually thinking about stashing him but when I looked him up he's on waivers currently, because yahoo has his team listed as Philly who played last night...

He’s a free agent. Eagles are listed as his team bc he last played for them 

1 minute ago, babyfaceassasin said:

He’s a free agent. Eagles are listed as his team bc he last played for them 

I understand he's a free agent in real life, but yahoo still has his team listed as Philly who played last night, thus all Philly players are locked on waivers. I'm assuming if it's like that in my league he's like that in all yahoo leagues that lock players after their team has played but maybe they'll change it

6 minutes ago, MadMaxMariota said:

What would be the ideal landing spot if he does sign with someone?

giants, skins, texans?

6 minutes ago, owenmills said:

I understand he's a free agent in real life, but yahoo still has his team listed as Philly who played last night, thus all Philly players are locked on waivers. I'm assuming if it's like that in my league he's like that in all yahoo leagues that lock players after their team has played but maybe they'll change it

I can confirm this. It's the same in my Yahoo league. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The G Man said:

hes available as a FA in cbs for what its worth....

6 minutes ago, The G Man said:

Yea it's really annoying that Yahoo doesn't update it.
Not as important, but also Spencer Ware has the same issue.

21 minutes ago, owenmills said:

Weird. I was able to pick him up then drop him today in my league 

Just scooped him up in Yahoo and CBS with my last bench spot. He’s going to land somewhere.

31 minutes ago, MadMaxMariota said:

What would be the ideal landing spot if he does sign with someone?

Thinking maybe the Texans?

Not sure what to do here.  I've been holding Justin Jackson and he's now worthless....So thinking about just grabbing Ajayi for Jackson.  There really isn't much of anything else on waivers as it's a 14 team league and my only other pickup would probably be a second defense.  And if Ajayi did sign somewhere, I'd never get him with my position in the standings.

I could see the Giants, Texans or maybe Redskins giving it some thought.  Or any team that suffers an injury could immediately become an option.

Or how about the Dolphins lol?  That coaching staff that banished him is gone....He could go back there and almost immediately be their best RB.

I don't know.  It seems unlikely he gets much, if any, fantasy value this year.  But I would've said that about CJ Anderson last year too.

• Like 1

This narrative about Ajayi being inconsistent is completely bogus, just as it was with Brandin Cooks a few years ago, which was easily disproven when you actually introduced facts to the discussion. Let's look back at his last real season, 2017, when he played 14 games, his YPC was under his career numbers, and he spent half of it on a terrible Dolphins team that netted him 0 touchdowns:

Ajayi finished as RB31 with 111.1 points. Not terrible for fantasy football when you score a whopping 2 touchdowns for the year.

By my calculations, the worst flex player in a standard 12-team league scored 111 points (Jermaine Kearse). Let's round up to 112. That's 7 points per 16 games that you're expecting from a startable asset (you can argue about that figure all you want, but don't bother doing so without numbers to back up your argument).

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/A/AjayJa00/fantasy/2017/

- Ajayi scored over 7 points in 8 of his 14 fantasy games.

- Joe Mixon finished as RB30 in 14 games. He cleared 7 points in 7 games.

- Jerick McKinnon? 127.1 in 16 games, cleared 7 points in 5 of them. Not a clear cut RB1 for his team? Sure, but you're comparing him to someone that was traded away in part because of Kenyan Drake taking carries from him, to the Eagles, who are more committed to RBBC than just about any franchise in the league, so that doesn't work.

- Last year? Peyton Barber scored 130.3 points in 16 games. He cleared 7 points in 6 of those 16.

If Ajayi is signed by the Texans or the Giants, he should be added in all leagues immediately and stashed for a couple of weeks until he's starting.

• Like 2