AirForceOne

Jay Ajayi 2019 Outlook

If Ajayi signs with DET, assuming he doesn’t play this week @OAK, this is the schedule he’ll be facing...

10- @CHI

11- DAL

12- @WAS

13- CHI

14- @MIN

15- TB

16- @DEN

• Thanks 3

17 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

I feel like we would have heard news by now.

Very concerning that nothing has happened yet

18 minutes ago, jclee4 said:

I feel like we would have heard news by now.

Could be working the small details out. I would say if he isn't signed by Tuesday, they probably won't be signing him. I do agree, if he impressed enough, they would've done it by now.

31 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Could be working the small details out. I would say if he isn't signed by Tuesday, they probably won't be signing him. I do agree, if he impressed enough, they would've done it by now.

You don't 100% know that. You first said perhaps they're working out details, not every situation will happen instantly 

1 hour ago, oresteszero said:

Very concerning that nothing has happened yet

The concern is he wasn't already on a team prior to yesterday 

• Like 1

Its just par for the course...I have been there making preemptive strikes on so many players this year and not a fn one of them has panned out so I'm sure this wont. Every year I always seem to land that big acquisition, or a few of them.

But it dont matter anyways as guys just put up a single huge game anymore and are hurt the following week, except if you're dalvin cook

• Like 2

3 hours ago, wendellrott said:

"Bone-on-bone" condition in knee contributed to Jay Ajayi's fall to 5th round in the 2015 draft:

It's a 8 week rental. Doesn't matter. 

Great that Carson was put on IR but bad Perkins was activated.

Would seem to suggest they're passing an Ajayi.

If so, he's done.

• Like 1

Tra Carson to IR. Perkins activated from practice squad.

its now or never for Ajayi. They need a good RB bad. If they don’t make a play for Ajayi, he does not look good. At all. 

1 hour ago, Tomy said:

When will you know ?? I need to know if i keep him or not

Well.....apparently they didn't like him enough to sign him at this point.  I mean, I highly doubt they sign a guy on Sunday.

At this point the best we could probably hope for is next week.  If one of their RB's get's hurt or somebody like Perkins fails miserably again, maybe then they bring Ajayi in.

But sure seems right now they're rolling with Johnson, JD and Perkins this week.  I just have to laugh as that's one of the worst group of RB's I've seen.....Ranks up there I guess with the Giants pre-Saquon when they had Perkins as a starter.

I probably won't hold him through the weekend....I can pick up somebody else.

Ajayi either wants too much money or he's badly out of shape because a team can't need a RB more than the Lions right now.

3 hours ago, 77georgec said:

Seems pretty clear that they aren’t signing Ajayi.

I don’t know the financial aspects of these things but if they signed him today wouldn’t they owe him a game check for this week? I’m sure he’d at least need a few days of practice before being ready to play in an actual game, so if you’re the Lions wouldn’t it make more sense to sign him on Monday and hope he’s ready to contribute in next week’s game?

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I don’t know the financial aspects of these things but if they signed him today wouldn’t they owe him a game check for this week? I’m sure he’d at least need a few days of practice before being ready to play in an actual game, so if you’re the Lions wouldn’t it make more sense to sign him on Monday and hope he’s ready to contribute in next week’s game?

Possible.

It just irritates me.....We saw all kinds of reports that he was working out for the Lions and then zero reports about how the workout went or what the Lions thoughts were.

Somebody needed to ask that question for us lol.

6 minutes ago, Itachi_is_the_goat said:

You guys should give up. The Cardinals signed Alfred Morris and Zach Zenner over him. The Lions signed Paul Perkins over him. 

As others have pointed out, Ajayi and his team are probably asking for a lot; it's not about talent. Given his injury history and impacts of those injuries on his body, teams are rightfully being cautious.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

Possible.

It just irritates me.....We saw all kinds of reports that he was working out for the Lions and then zero reports about how the workout went or what the Lions thoughts were.

Somebody needed to ask that question for us lol.

Along those lines of what I was saying above, if he looked great in the workout but the Lions want to wait until Monday to sign him they surely wouldn’t come out and announce it. That’d be tipping their hand and allowing other teams to swoop in. Like all of us, I have no idea what’s going on but I’ll be holding a few more days to wait to see.

Lions would have needed (and have planned) to make the move with Perkins for this week regardless. It's not over just yet with Jay and the Lions. Nothing will happen this weekend. Monday/Tuesday will be the final chance. If they sign him he will have to time to prep and play next week in some fashion.

As noted above in other posts, not sure what is going on here. If AJ is asking too much or if he's out of shape (which has not been reported and always is leaked out) or concern over the knee issues are just too great. Or, things are fine and they are waiting until next week to address this and not cause any distractions for this week's game.

Jay is 26 YO and may be looking for something long term, while the Lions may just be looking for a short term rental and address the RB issue in the draft and FA next season. That could be the issue. If it is, Jay needs to take a contract now, even if it pays Cap'n Crunch money just to get back in the game and flow of the NFL world.

Interesting that neither side has leaked anything. That's a good sign.

Edited by Blazer
too, not to
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I hope you're onto something here. I paid too much to get Ajayi.

I’m pessimistic but my wire is a wasteland so I picked up and I’m holding until the next waiver period. I’m all about RB depth heading in to the playoff hunt 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, itschief33 said:

I’m pessimistic but my wire is a wasteland so I picked up and I’m holding until the next waiver period. I’m all about RB depth heading in to the playoff hunt 

Smart. Same thing I'm doing. Always play for this week's win but keep the playoffs in mind. I'm holding for the same reasons.