Mikeboy

Will Grier 2019 Outlook

Hey guys,

I know I know Cam Newton is the face of the franchise but what do you think about Will Grier in deeper dynasty leagues especially if (this is a big IF) Cams shoulder will get hurt again?

I'm pretty excited about the fact that Carolina drafted him in round 3..

Edited by Mikeboy

3 hours ago, Mikeboy said:

Hey guys,

I know I know Cam Newton is the face of the franchise but what do you think about Will Grier in deeper dynasty leagues especially if (this is a big IF) Cams shoulder will get hurt again?

I'm pretty excited about the fact that Carolina drafted him in round 3..

I would guess that league is so deep you're practically 6 foot under.

I don't think Cam will go on as long as Brees or Brady, especially with his style of play, and it's not impossible to think Grier could get his chance within the next 5 years, but I assume you are going to park him in the Taxi Squad?

2 hours ago, Stonej14 said:

Hes trash. I'd rather have Tom tupa...(doubt anyone will get that reference)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

spacer.png

You found a gif and now you're going to use it wherever whenever? You know that's going to backfire, right? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Honestly here in the Carolina Panthers market there are rumblings that Cam could be on his way out. The sense is that he’s good, but not good enough to make them super bowl contenders. As he gets older, his passing deficiencies have become much more obvious. 

Realistically if Grier has a great preseason and the Panthers struggle out of the gate, there will be some calling for Grier. Cam’s under contract through 2020, but I think Grier has a great opportunity to make some noise in a year or two — especially if Cam’s struggles continue and the Panthers miss the playoffs.

5 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

Honestly here in the Carolina Panthers market there are rumblings that Cam could be on his way out. The sense is that he’s good, but not good enough to make them super bowl contenders. As he gets older, his passing deficiencies have become much more obvious. 

Realistically if Grier has a great preseason and the Panthers struggle out of the gate, there will be some calling for Grier. Cam’s under contract through 2020, but I think Grier has a great opportunity to make some noise in a year or two — especially if Cam’s struggles continue and the Panthers miss the playoffs.

Lol, what? 

He literally just took them there in an absolutely dominant MVP season. 

If chargers stick with rivers for 20 years I think Panthers will too. 

This injury cold be worse than we know though, that's all I can think. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

This could not be less true, stop trolling 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He literally just took them there in an absolutely dominant MVP season. 

If chargers stick with rivers for 20 years I think Panthers will too. 

This injury cold be worse than we know though, that's all I can think. 

In 2015? A lot has happened since then. Cam depends on his athleticism to be effective, which declines at a quicker pace than arm strength. You think he’s going to last as long as Rivers? You might as well compare Brady to Vick while you’re at it.

I don’t think it’s any secret that he’s been one of the least efficient passers in recent history with a below average completion rate. Panthers started hot and then choked down the stretch last year, lost 7 out of their last 8 (winning vs the saints in a meaningless week 17 game where most of the Saints starters didn’t even play).

How many more games do they need to lose before they pull the plug on Cam? If Grier lights it up in preseason, and the Panthers start 0-4 with Cam struggling, how much longer would you wait before benching him? Until you’re out of playoff contention? 

This is very much a make or break season for Cam. 

4 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

In 2015? A lot has happened since then. Cam depends on his athleticism to be effective, which declines at a quicker pace than arm strength. You think he’s going to last as long as Rivers? You might as well compare Brady to Vick while you’re at it.

I don’t think it’s any secret that he’s been one of the least efficient passers in recent history with a below average completion rate. Panthers started hot and then choked down the stretch last year, lost 7 out of their last 8 (winning vs the saints in a meaningless week 17 game where most of the Saints starters didn’t even play).

How many more games do they need to lose before they pull the plug on Cam? If Grier lights it up in preseason, and the Panthers start 0-4 with Cam struggling, how much longer would you wait before benching him? Until you’re out of playoff contention? 

This is very much a make or break season for Cam. 

Sounds like a fan who doesnt know how good they got it. Cam is one of the best top 10qbs in the league. Will Grier could have the worlds greatest preseason he isnt gonna usurp cam. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

Panthers started hot and then choked down the stretch last year, lost 7 out of their last 8 (winning vs the saints in a meaningless week 17 game where most of the Saints starters didn’t even play).

I'm not sure it's fair to blame Cam for last season, when it was his shoulder that plagued him. Also, interestingly, they've been working on his motion, and that shows in his completion percentage last season (#9 overall).

In any case, you as a fan probably know better, but I wouldn't expect the Panthers to move away from Cam, who is the face of the franchise. Grier also has a tiny contract (by NFL standards) so they can drop him like it's hot if they don't like him the next 2-3 seasons. I wouldn't hold my breath, and as said, I'd put him in the taxi squad if your league has one.

Edit: I do note that Cam has 2 more years on his current contract. Let's say that next year we'll probably know more.

Edited by Boudewijn

8 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

I'm not sure it's fair to blame Cam for last season, when it was his shoulder that plagued him. Also, interestingly, they've been working on his motion, and that shows in his completion percentage last season (#9 overall).

In any case, you as a fan probably know better, but I wouldn't expect the Panthers to move away from Cam, who is the face of the franchise. Grier also has a tiny contract (by NFL standards) so they can drop him like it's hot if they don't like him the next 2-3 seasons. I wouldn't hold my breath, and as said, I'd put him in the taxi squad if your league has one.

Edit: I do note that Cam has 2 more years on his current contract. Let's say that next year we'll probably know more.

Helps when you throw to a RB 124 times

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FoosballFan said:

Helps when you throw to a RB 124 times

QBs with the  est completion percentage usually throw to the backs alot. Or alot of screens.

Drew brees always leads the league in completion percentage. He also just happens to throw more screens than any other qb in the league as well. 

He also threw 130 passes to Alvin Kamara and mark Ingram

Edited by Stonej14
  • Like 1

I watched Cam closely as I had him in redraft last season and that injury, Christ.

I really do think it's more than just a recoverable one off injury. I dropped him at the close of week 13 after going 300yds against TB before he was actually designated injured, such was the clarity of the problem.

I think the guy's got a spaghetti shoulder and it's going to be a lot worse that thought. I picked up Grier as flyer in a 2nd year Dynasty league.

Here ends coolest of stories, brother.

1 hour ago, steevio_uk said:

I watched Cam closely as I had him in redraft last season and that injury, Christ.

I really do think it's more than just a recoverable one off injury. I dropped him at the close of week 13 after going 300yds against TB before he was actually designated injured, such was the clarity of the problem.

Not sure everyone understands how much of a beating he's taken over the years. He hasn't shied away from running the ball and taking big hits. In addition to the 30+ sacks he takes every season, he's rushing the ball over 100 times per season. Over his career he's run the ball 929 times. which is more than any other QB going into their age 30 season. Vick, McNabb, McNair, Culpepper were well behind that pace. 

You just can't compare Cam to pocket passers. Yes, he's the face of the franchise, and they are going to run him into the ground.
But that's exactly why they drafted Grier, so they can develop a capable QB to take over if/when Cam is just not effective (which I think could be as early as this season). 

I'm in love with the idea of Will Grier dumping off to McCaffrey.

Grier looked so good playing at Florida and looked great at WVU. Very accurate passer. You put the ball near Cmac and he is gonna catch it. Those 2 will be an orgasmic combo to have an your fantasy team when Grier finally gets in.

I think Grier is okay talent-wise, but he shouldn't really be on the radar in any fantasy formats at this point in my opinion. If Cam were to go down, his value spikes of course, but the same could be said of virtually any backup QB in the league. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SenatorSpaceman said:

I think Grier is okay talent-wise, but he shouldn't really be on the radar in any fantasy formats at this point in my opinion. If Cam were to go down, his value spikes of course, but the same could be said of virtually any backup QB in the league. 

It's no different from stashing Jimmy Garappolo when he was Brady's backup, Pat Mahomes when he was Alex Smith's backup, or Matt Leinart when he was Kurt Warner's backup. They don't always pan out, obviously. But when they do, you have a major asset for a very small investment. It's not just the possibility that Cam will get injured, but the fact that his best years are behind him. For him to prolong his career another 5 years, he will have to change how he plays the game (ie stop taking hits). I'm not sure he can do that, and still be effective.   

Most other backups are proven backups and are temporary solutions at best. Most of them have already had their shot as starters.
I'd much rather take a chance on Grier than guys like Glennon, Bortles, Hundley, Hoyer, Driskel, etc...

1 hour ago, Stonej14 said:

Do people really handcuff QBs? 

Depends on the league. I play in several dynasty leagues, some with 2QB / superflex where good QBs are pretty valuable. Some also have rookie taxi squads where you can stash rookies for a year or two.

3 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

Most other backups are proven backups and are temporary solutions at best. Most of them have already had their shot as starters.
I'd much rather take a chance on Grier than guys like Glennon, Bortles, Hundley, Hoyer, Driskel, etc...

Would you stash him over Tannehill?

3 hours ago, AirForceOne said:

It's no different from stashing Jimmy Garappolo when he was Brady's backup, Pat Mahomes when he was Alex Smith's backup, or Matt Leinart when he was Kurt Warner's backup. They don't always pan out, obviously. But when they do, you have a major asset for a very small investment.

I actually think that stashing Grier is vastly different than stashing Garappolo or Mahomes (for example) when they were backups, but I guess that just comes down to how good we each think Grier is. Like I said, I think he's "good", but I don't think his upside is anywhere close to that of those other guys mentioned.