RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

brace yourself kids.

someone actually made a rojo bucs highlight film.

ohh yes, 2019 has a whole lot more of this.

That was awful. And resembles his regular season play last year.

8 hours ago, devaster said:

That was awful. And resembles his regular season play last year.

I don't think any running back would have a chance behind that O-line from 2018 pre-season. Defenders were on him like stink on a monkey. Has the Bucs O-line improved much from last year?

He did have a nice catch near the end there, any chance he gets third down work?

• Like 1

Yeah agree, that video is pathetic. Which begs the question of why he is being drafted ahead of presumed starter  Barber, despite the positive coach speak. Seems like an inflated price for a 50-50 back at best. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

I don't think any running back would have a chance behind that O-line from 2018 pre-season. Defenders were on him like stink on a monkey. Has the Bucs O-line improved much from last year?

He did have a nice catch near the end there, any chance he gets third down work?

He also had some drops. One catch doesn't make up for everything. I saw hesitation, poor decision making in hitting the open holes, and poor burst. There were definitely holes he could have gained a bunch of yards on in this preseason games. And without the hesitation and using burst he could have made some good runs on the edge, but instead let the plays die.

His regular season play was similar. This preseason will be interesting, but his ADP is much higher than it should be right now.

Depending on price, I like RoJo this year. From what I see BA genuinely wants this guy to succeed, and has been talking him up all camp. Perhaps it's sort of a motivational tactic for him to gain his confidence back, but even if that was the case it shows BA is putting in effort to get this guy going. 

I was super disappointed in RoJo's rookie year, and those highlights above are atrocious. However, it is a bit unfair to post those highlights and think they're going to statically carry over to this season, when the news from all over camp is that he's improved everywhere, bulked up, and has regained his confidence.

From what I can already gather from pressers, RoJo is going to get touches. Whoever the "starter" is between RoJo / Barber is going to cede carries to the other to start the season. If RoJo shows out, I don't think BA is going to keep him from becoming the majority shareholder. I personally think he's the superior talent and will eventually force BA's hand. I think BA is a straight shooter and will give guys fair shots when he sees talent, unlike Dirk and his boyfriend Jacquizz. Whether that's at the end of preseason or middle of the season is up in the air. 

17 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

brace yourself kids.

this is akin to a Custer highlight reel that focuses strictly on Little Bighorn. 

• Haha 3

17 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

brace yourself kids.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/1/2019 at 5:30 AM, Whitecloud0101 said:

brace yourself kids.

Let's take the very first action in that video:

15647330212910952.gif?1564733036

(sorry for the crappy quality, but check the video)

The O-Line collapses before RoJo even gets the ball. What exactly is he supposed to do here?
Most of the "highlights" in this vid are similar. I can't even see if they are trying to play zone or gap; either he runs into a wall of opponents or into the back of his own guys. A couple times he escapes, and then you see some possibilities. No, it isn't very good but with that O-Line play I want to see any RB hit a homerun.

The O-line was graded 31st in run blocking, and based on this vid I can understand that - it makes Peyton Barber basically a saint to see how much he got out of this.

I don't see they upgraded the line in the draft; and I don't see they made any moves in FA except resign their LT. Did they do anything to improve the line, eg hire a new O-line coach at least?

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

"... The O-Line collapses before RoJo even gets the ball. What exactly is he supposed to do here? Most of the "highlights" in this vid are similar. I can't even see if they are trying to play zone or gap; either he runs into a wall of opponents or into the back of his own guys."

Some of what stands out in the video is that the Bucs OL rarely got any movement up front. No 2nd tier blocks on the front side of these plays. More importantly, it doesn't appear to me that the defense is caught out of position, they're coming downhill on a good number of those plays. Scroll ahead to 1:50sec into the video, a 3rd & 25 play vs Miami. The Bucs are running a draw play here & the DE across from the RT easily makes this play. Even if we want to emphasize the RT's poor recognition, no ability to redirect or recover, there's no excuse for him acting like he doesn't know WTF the play is.

This is a draw play, no way is the RT giving up the inside like that. That guy's initial assignment is to seal off the inside, force the DE out, around the horn. Now, it can argued that off the snap the DE throttles down & gets upright, he's reading this thing, anticipating the ball coming out early. That doesn't help excuse the RT at all. That the DE isn't pressing to exploit a soft edge should've made the inside seal all that much easier. So, execution has to be upgraded to a professional level. But if defenses often knew what the Bucs were running, that's the first thing Arians has to change!        

Edited by markrc99
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, markrc99 said:

Some of what stands out in the video is that the Bucs OL rarely got any movement up front. No 2nd tier blocks on the front side of these plays. More importantly, it doesn't appear to me that the defense is caught out of position, they're coming downhill on a good number of those plays. Scroll ahead to 1:50sec into the video, a 3rd & 25 play vs Miami. The Bucs are running a draw play here & the DE across from the RT easily makes this play. Even if we want to emphasize the RT's poor recognition, no ability to redirect or recover, there's no excuse for him acting like he doesn't know WTF the play is.

This is a draw play, no way is the RT giving up the inside like that. That guy's initial assignment is to seal off the inside, force the DE out, around the horn. Now, it can argued that off the snap the DE throttles down & gets upright, he's reading this thing, anticipating the ball coming out early. That doesn't help excuse the RT at all. That the DE isn't pressing to exploit a soft edge should've made the inside seal all that much easier. So, execution has to be upgraded to a professional level. But if defenses often knew what the Bucs were running, that's the first thing Arians has to change!        

good assessment of that play specifically.  I honestly LOL at the idea of taking a preseason video from 2018 serious or relevant to this season ahead.(did anyone watch last nights game?)  Sure, RJ needs work, that i won't argue.  But to pretend like this hot garbage video, esp the blocking, to be relevant right now is pretty comical. 

Edited by BlakeP42

6 hours ago, Boudewijn said:

Let's take the very first action in that video:

15647330212910952.gif?1564733036

(sorry for the crappy quality, but check the video)

The O-Line collapses before RoJo even gets the ball. What exactly is he supposed to do here?
Most of the "highlights" in this vid are similar. I can't even see if they are trying to play zone or gap; either he runs into a wall of opponents or into the back of his own guys. A couple times he escapes, and then you see some possibilities. No, it isn't very good but with that O-Line play I want to see any RB hit a homerun.

The O-line was graded 31st in run blocking, and based on this vid I can understand that - it makes Peyton Barber basically a saint to see how much he got out of this.

I don't see they upgraded the line in the draft; and I don't see they made any moves in FA except resign their LT. Did they do anything to improve the line, eg hire a new O-line coach at least?

The offensive line is a huge concern. But the hope is that Arians, as opposed to Koetter, will focus more on the ground game.  

A guy like Ryan Jensen was a solid C for the Ravens before coming to Tampa where he had a bad year last year. Could he have been a bad signing or was his, and the rest of the Olines struggles, a product of a poor run game system? 

• Like 1

I had my 12 team draft yesterday and was able to get both Jones (9th round) and Barber (11th round) after the 8th round.  Hopefully one of them is the clear cut starter so they'll be useful.  It's going to be hard to rely on either of them as more than a bye week filler if they're in a even-split committee.

Ogunbowale has been making plays and getting regular solid reviews in almost every training camp session to date.  When he played at WIS he was always overshadowed but seemed to perform well in a relief role of whomever the stud RB was at the time.  He’s a long shot for sure, but there could be some there there.

Rotowire has a blurb out right now on him

Edited by Bronco Billy

27 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Ogunbowale has been making plays and getting regular solid reviews in almost every training camp session to date.

Unless he can be in the O-line I don't see it making a lot of difference to either RoJo or Barber. I do see he did some defensive duties and had 2 tackles, so who knows :)

I love how the crappy o-line play is a good excuse for Rojo but Barber just sucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

I love how the crappy o-line play is a good excuse for Rojo but Barber just sucks.

In a new magazine that I bought, the Bucs offensive line is ranked 4th best with their free agent signings being mentioned.  The line was terrible last year but should be decent to very good this year.

27 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

In a new magazine that I bought, the Bucs offensive line is ranked 4th best with their free agent signings being mentioned.  The line was terrible last year but should be decent to very good this year.

You need a new magazine

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

53 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I would recommend that you send copies of this magazine to your leaguemates before your FF draft.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

You need a new magazine

No, I think you need a pair of glasses or a new pair of glasses with a stronger prescription so you can read the facts.

The line may not be great but it isn't going to be as bad as last year with the new free agent signings unless all of them are busts which is unlikely.

Edited by sjm76

14 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

No, I think you need a pair of glasses or a new pair of glasses with a stronger prescription so you can read the facts.

The line may not be great but it isn't going to be as bad as last year with the new free agent signings unless all of them are busts which is unlikely.

They have the same exact starting offensive line that they had last year.

What year does it say on that magazine?

Edited by RMJ_12
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, RMJ_12 said:

They have the same exact starting offensive line that they had last year.

What year does it say on that magazine?

I'm looking at the "Fantasy Football Index" fantasy magazine, page 83 where they rank offensive lines.  Check it out at your local grocery store if you don't have it.  I misread that they signed players but the Bucs line is ranked #9 and it says they have 3 starters making over $10 million per season which no other team has..  It says the left tackle (Donovan Smith), left guard (Ali Marpet) and center (Ryan Jensen) are arguably top 10 players at their respective positions.  There are question marks on the right side of the line but it shouldn't be a terrible line. 

I also read that the center, Jensen, struggled last year but that could have been because of the system.  There is a new system in place now.

Edited by sjm76

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I'm looking at the "Fantasy Football Index" fantasy magazine, page 83 where they rank offensive lines.  Check it out at your local grocery store if you don't have it.  I misread that they signed players but the Bucs line is ranked #9 and it says they have 3 starters making over $10 million per season which no other team has..  It says the left tackle (Donovan Smith), left guard (Ali Marpet) and center (Ryan Jensen) are arguably top 10 players at their respective positions.  There are question marks on the right side of the line but it shouldn't be a terrible line. 

Save yourself the dollars next time. That OL is bottom 10, not top 10.

2 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I'm looking at the "Fantasy Football Index" fantasy magazine, page 83 where they rank offensive lines.  I misread that they signed players but the Bucs line is ranked #9 and it says they have 3 starters making over $10 million per season which no other team has..  It says the left tackle (Donovan Smith), left guard (Ali Marpet) and center (Ryan Jensen) are arguably top 10 players at their respective positions.  There are question marks on the right side of the line but it shouldn't be a terrible line. 

It's the same players but new offense and scheme. The hope is that Arians can fix things. 

Fantasy football isn't won by drafting based off last years stats. Sometimes you have to take calculated chances on players who are coming off a bad year but are in different situations. I think that's the case with Jones. 

Again, no one is saying he's a 3rd round pick. But as mid-late round sleeper I think he can be a fantasy winner. If he bombs it's not like he's your RB2.

• Like 1