RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

Just now, JHM_13 said:

Save yourself the dollars next time. That OL is bottom 10, not top 10.

I usually think for myself but buy a fantasy magazine or 2 every year just to see where players are ranked, the lines are ranked etc.  

5 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:

It's the same players but new offense and scheme. The hope is that Arians can fix things. 

Fantasy football isn't won by drafting based off last years stats. Sometimes you have to take calculated chances on players who are coming off a bad year but are in different situations. I think that's the case with Jones. 

Again, no one is saying he's a 3rd round pick. But as mid-late round sleeper I think he can be a fantasy winner. If he bombs it's not like he's your RB2.

I agree 100%.  Good post and good point about the new offense and scheme.  The line was bad last year but at least 3 of the guys have a lot of ability and are being paid a lot so maybe with a new scheme things will be different.

Edited by sjm76
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

I usually think for myself but buy a fantasy magazine or 2 every year just to see where players are ranked, the lines are ranked etc.  

Not saying you shouldn't think for yourself but I don't want a bad magazine to steer you wrong. There's lots of good resources out there that rank OLs

1 minute ago, JHM_13 said:

Not saying you shouldn't think for yourself but I don't want a bad magazine to steer you wrong. There's lots of good resources out there that rank OLs

It's hard to know which of the "experts" to trust these days so I mostly just read different articles/watch different videos and try to trust my own judgment  Even the resources that you deem as "good" to you could be viewed as inaccurate to other people.  I think it all comes down to personal opinion.

Is there anything in a magazine that’s not on the internet?

To be honest I didn’t realize people still read magazines haha. Not trying to be sarcastic...is there something I’m missing? 🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gufomel said:

Is there anything in a magazine that’s not on the internet?

To be honest I didn’t realize people still read magazines haha. Not trying to be sarcastic...is there something I’m missing? 🤔

Sometimes I think that, at least in my case, people would rather have cheat sheets etc in print and not want to waste time printing things out from the internet fantasy football websites to prepare for our drafts.  I don't mind spending $20 on a couple of fantasy magazines.  I can afford it.

23 minutes ago, sjm76 said:

It's hard to know which of the "experts" to trust these days so I mostly just read different articles/watch different videos and try to trust my own judgment  Even the resources that you deem as "good" to you could be viewed as inaccurate to other people.  I think it all comes down to personal opinion.

That's fair. I'll take a share of likes if people think PFF and Football Outsiders are good resources or not

4 minutes ago, JHM_13 said:

That's fair. I'll take a share of likes if people think PFF and Football Outsiders are good resources or not

There are a ton of FF resources out there including the 2 that you just mentioned.  What I usually do is look at what a bunch of the so-called "experts" are saying and see if they're looking at the big picture for players taking everything into consideration.

6 hours ago, sjm76 said:

There are a ton of FF resources out there including the 2 that you just mentioned.  What I usually do is look at what a bunch of the so-called "experts" are saying and see if they're looking at the big picture for players taking everything into consideration.

Yeah but... How long in advance are these magazines prepared?

I read back stuff I wrote in May and it's sometimes already out of date - an FA gets signed, a lineman gets injured, an RB gets arrested (or released)... Hold-outs, training camp, etc, none of that is in your magazine.

I am a huge book and paper guy. I can't live without actual physical books. But a magazine for something as fluid as fantasy... No.

Edited by Boudewijn
  • Like 1

MMQB's Albert Breer reports the Bucs have worked on restoring Ronald Jones' confidence this offseason.

Jones has reportedly improved from last year's brutal rookie season, but he still has some work to do before leaping Peyton Barber on the depth chart. In the first preseason game, Barber saw more first-team snaps, though that could begin to flip if Jones begins to make plays. Bruce Arians said the plan is for both Jones and Barber to receive touches in 2019.

Aug 14, 2019, 2:42 PM ET

This is concerning.  It's not like Ronald Jones is a kicker who gets the yips and then all of a sudden doesn't know how to kick.  This dude is a running back.  Grab the rock, find the hole, and hit it hard.  It certainly looks like they want to make this a timeshare or hot hand situation which won't help anybody in fantasy.  In best ball, it'd be great to roster both Barber and Jones and then it doesn't matter who has the big game.  I'd feel more confident owning this guy if we knew he was going to be involved in the passing game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CooL said:

This is concerning.  It's not like Ronald Jones is a kicker who gets the yips and then all of a sudden doesn't know how to kick.  This dude is a running back.  Grab the rock, find the hole, and hit it hard.  It certainly looks like they want to make this a timeshare or hot hand situation which won't help anybody in fantasy.  In best ball, it'd be great to roster both Barber and Jones and then it doesn't matter who has the big game.  I'd feel more confident owning this guy if we knew he was going to be involved in the passing game.

Agreed.

Except I read it more as “if we can get RoJo going like he should he’ll be our starter because of the big athletic talent gap between him and Barber, but as of now RoJo isn’t doing enough to take that opportunity, so it is a timeshare.”

My interpretation isn’t necessarily any better, or better for RoJo. Basically I think they want him to get the job and run with it, he just isn’t/hasn’t 

I agree with above they want him to take the job... I don't know that he hasn't but they don't want to appear to have just given it too him either...

43 minutes ago, kball09 said:

Anyone starting to think Ogunbawalee (spelling?) may end up the starter here?

No. Barber is going to be the starter.

20 minutes ago, devaster said:

No. Barber is going to be the starter.

For now, I agree, but Barber sucks. Jones sucks/is hurt. Curious to see if they work in OG at all

Just now, rspopper said:

Would not draft this guy.  Sorry no hype

Hype.  Hope.  It's all the same with ol' Rojo.

Kind of done with this guy. The hype is quickly fading with Rojo. While I'm not at all impressed with Barber, A back getting 15+ carries per week is intriguing at a 11th round ADP 

28 minutes ago, nonstopfan said:

Kind of done with this guy. The hype is quickly fading with Rojo. While I'm not at all impressed with Barber, A back getting 15+ carries per week is intriguing at a 11th round ADP 

What about Dare, might be a chance he steals the job?

I actually don't think Barber is terrible.  He's not a game breaker by any means, he's a bigger (not fast) back but he's got some wiggle, can play all three downs, and excels at pass protection.  He's going to be on the field, and as a result should have the most opportunity for touches in that backfield.

What do we know about Arians and how much leash he’ll give former high draft picks who continue to be unproductive?  I know he has no draft capital tied up in Jones being new to TB, but will he buck upper management and bench a guy like Jones?

I've read reports that Jones was going to play in the final pre-season game. I am holding off judgment until then.

The facts are that Barber has NOT separated from Jones which is actually pretty bad news for Barber. We have also seen that Jones is having a good camp. Dare has definitely emerged but that was with backups much like Chris Warren last year exploded  in preseason. If we start hearing that Dare is running with the 1's and Jones is running with the backups THEN it will be time to cut bait. 

21 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

What do we know about Arians and how much leash he’ll give former high draft picks who continue to be unproductive?  I know he has no draft capital tied up in Jones being new to TB, but will he buck upper management and bench a guy like Jones?

Jones is making his case to warm the bench.

10 hours ago, KennyWoo said:

Swelling in the knee + no talent. The other JAGs on the roster all move up a bit. 

Despite what Rotoworld erroneously reported, Jones was back at practice yesterday. Rotoworld writers, like most modern reporters, like to take creative liberties with the truth.