RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

I got him last night in the 14th round. I'm not a fan and I think Arains is trying to gas him up and restore his confidence with his comments, but that being said, for a third-to-last pick I'm fine with taking a flier and seeing if he bounces back. At the very least, he's going to get a shot. If he stinks he'll just be one of my first drops. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, '71 Bucks said:

I got him last night in the 14th round. I'm not a fan and I think Arains is trying to gas him up and restore his confidence with his comments, but that being said, for a third-to-last pick I'm fine with taking a flier and seeing if he bounces back. At the very least, he's going to get a shot. If he stinks he'll just be one of my first drops. 

That's pretty much my plan with him as well. The pre-season could have gone better (taken over the #1 RB job) but it also could have gone worse as Arians could have dropped him to 3rd on the depth chart and even cut him. 

Yeah that's my thinking as well. He will get his chances to steal the job and run away with lead back duties. It's up to him, they're giving him every chance in the world.

I took a flyer on him in a 12 team redraft.  Someone is going to run the rock in that offense, and if you believe in Arians' offensive mojo you do want a shot at having the RB from that system.  Everything we know about Jones so far says he sucks.  Can't run, can't block, can't catch, etc.  He's a RB tho, is young, was a 2nd round pick, and his competition is abysmal.  I have to imagine that Arians will give him a shot so he can figure out if he needs to move on.  For those reasons I've rostered him to start the season.   If he blows balls to start the season then I'll move on.

• Like 1

Practically free flyer on a potential Arians system RB. If he's garbage just cut him after the game lol.

• Like 1

Dude straight train wrecked me last season. But a new system and the dirtiest rb veteran in football only in front of him.....there has to be some hope right? Can this dude actually catch a pass this year? lol *trying to believe again*

9 minutes ago, TennisDude said:

Dude straight train wrecked me last season. But a new system and the dirtiest rb veteran in football only in front of him.....there has to be some hope right? Can this dude actually catch a pass this year? lol *trying to believe again*

D-A-R-E 2 DREAM and TJ Logan....

Pass on the stink bro... it's a Trap

On 8/21/2019 at 10:45 AM, Olliemets said:

"How late it he really going though? Feel as though he is still in the 8-9 range. I liked him a lot coming into the preseason but I was hoping for a flash or two. May still take him in the 9th or 10th but I'm certainly not going to reach on him as I was planning on."

Drafting prior to the preseason Jones was definitely a mid-round selection. I took him in 2 leagues, a home run hitter now in Bruce Arians offense. Seems precipitous, the notion that this highly-touted RB out of USC is beleaguered. What would be the rationale for hanging onto to a player whose development is years away, if at all? The Jets just dumped an edge rusher taken in the 3rd RD, Jones isn't even Arians player. When teams need better depth at a position they'll sign a guy, they'll draft a guy. They keep adding until the position becomes a strength. But Tampa didn't make much of a commitment to add. Perhaps it's a matter of them needing to see more of this player? If so, isn't that what the preseason is for? He had what, 10 touches? We know he's nursing a knee, but even if it's 3 games, that's a guy they know...  

Edited by markrc99
Short term memory stuff... ha-ha

Very few guys have this "strange" of a situation. Is it just me or is this a hard one to read. We know he got zero action last year and had his reported struggles.  This year with Arians its another hard read. He loves TJ Logan and that truly scares me.  Logan could end up a GioB or Theo Reddick type guy.  Barber doesn't scare me and never did.  That guys is the ultimate plodder IMO.  Having said that I don't honestly know if Jones is any good.  He's never been given a true shot at carrying the mail, game in and game out.  The offensive line needs to be less offensive and help out this struggling running game.

Jones could be all over the map from a fantasy purpose. Could be a decent weekly flex type player or could be a scrub and everyone dropping him by week 4.  I have him in 2 leagues in hopes he becomes a decent player with a set/defined role in this offense.

Wouldn't surprise me if TB shakes things up and makes a move for another RB like Howard or maybe even MGIII.  I'd like for them to give Jones a shot before going that route though. 

45 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Wouldn't surprise me if TB shakes things up and makes a move for another RB like Howard or maybe even MGIII.  I'd like for them to give Jones a shot before going that route though. 

Oh he'll definitely get his shot(s) on a more even playing field this year. Arians really wants him to succeed (for the success of the team). The only question is whether he can do anything with his opportunities this time. It's not great news to hear, but they truly are pumping as much confidence in him as possible in the *hopes* that it'll get him back in alpha mode.

Relatedly, this is a fantastic article that gave me (the guy who drafted RoJo in the late 2nd of our rookie draft last year) a lot of perspective: https://theathletic.com/1178618/2019/09/03/he-gets-it-now-buccaneers-running-back-ronald-jones-eyes-second-season-with-confidence/

Sorry it's probably behind a paywall, but it's great content.

TL;DR the verdict is still out. Wouldn't bet on it, but there is a non-zero chance RoJo goes on to be something much more than a JAG.

Edited by TLBDS

Bucs were down 3-20 going into the second half and came back with a clear plan to run thru RoJo, especially in the fourth. Put up 75 yards on 13 rushes to keep the game close and would've been a closer game if it wasn't for Winston's 3 interceptions off of bad decisions. Definitely encouraged to see if his role continues to expand into the next few weeks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have him and the other JAG burning two roster spots. I’m hoping he can emerge as the feature back. 

28 minutes ago, yung_fetty said:

Bucs were down 3-20 going into the second half and came back with a clear plan to run thru RoJo, especially in the fourth. Put up 75 yards on 13 rushes to keep the game close and would've been a closer game if it wasn't for Winston's 3 interceptions off of bad decisions. Definitely encouraged to see if his role continues to expand into the next few weeks

The Bucs were up 7-6 at the half.

Looked great when given the chance.

• Like 1

Figures that I had Barber and Dare rostered and this guy comes out with the best game. Dare looks droppable. The question is if there is going to be any week to week consistency, or if it truly is going to be a hot hand approach. Who is buying?

Just now, CooL said:

Figures that I had Barber and Dare rostered and this guy comes out with the best game. Dare looks droppable. The question is if there is going to be any week to week consistency, or if it truly is going to be a hot hand approach. Who is buying?

High 2nd round pick. 1,600 yards at USC his final collegiate year. Post hype sleeper I think he’s legit this year. 

8 minutes ago, CooL said:

I have him and Barber. I’m not sure what interested you in Dare? I’m not buying yet, but it’s a strong hold for me. If anything, they may be decent bye week filler.

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

I have him and Barber. I’m not sure what interested you in Dare? I’m not buying yet, but it’s a strong hold for me. If anything, they may be decent bye week filler.

I have this duo as well, and really feel good about how week 1 went. I always felt like RoJo was the better back, just wasn't sure how they were going to use him compared to Barber. Still not really sure how it'll go for week 2 and beyond, but it is promising that they used him more in the second half and he produced. Hoping he takes over so I can use him and drop Barber.

• Like 1

Jones getting the majority of the touches and being fantasy relevant would be huge for those rostering him (like me).  RB's become a significant commodity as the season wears on.  13 carries for 75 yards (and 1 reception too I believe) tells me it could be his job to lose at this point. 

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Jones getting the majority of the touches and being fantasy relevant would be huge for those rostering him (like me).  RB's become a significant commodity as the season wears on.  13 carries for 75 yards (and 1 reception too I believe) tells me it could be his job to lose at this point. 

He was the best looking of the 3 backs. If he could've been in the hurry up, it would've solidified him. Take those 7 points and add them to jones and you have a 17 point game from someone who was drafted in the 10th plus. Hoping Thursday, they give him a legit chance against the Panthers. 

3 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

He was the best looking of the 3 backs. If he could've been in the hurry up, it would've solidified him. Take those 7 points and add them to jones and you have a 17 point game from someone who was drafted in the 10th plus. Hoping Thursday, they give him a legit chance against the Panthers. 

Can he pass block and pick up blitzes yet? Didn't see any of the game, but that was the rub on him up until now.