RMJ_12

Ronald Jones 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, FitzMagic said:

I have him and Barber. I’m not sure what interested you in Dare? I’m not buying yet, but it’s a strong hold for me. If anything, they may be decent bye week filler.

Well, camp reports had him looking AWFUL.  The coaches were being motivational for him because he has a fragile ego and they didn't want him to lose the little confidence he apparently had.  And everybody was saying that Dare was the passing back, and he was going to perhaps easily leapfrog the pedestrian Barber and awful looking Jones.  Combine that with the history of Arians wanting a back that can pass block.  So it made sense that Jones would be the least rosterable of the three.  Murphy's law of course would have him showing the best yesterday.  Now I'm likely going to drop Dare to try to get RJ back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Onion said:

 

Can he pass block and pick up blitzes yet? Didn't see any of the game, but that was the rub on him up until now. 

This would be nice to know.  I didn't watch the game but as we all know his blitz pick up was a real problem last season.  If he's improved enough, or is passable at least, it would be a big help to his snap count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CooL said:

Well, camp reports had him looking AWFUL.  The coaches were being motivational for him because he has a fragile ego and they didn't want him to lose the little confidence he apparently had.  And everybody was saying that Dare was the passing back, and he was going to perhaps easily leapfrog the pedestrian Barber and awful looking Jones.  Combine that with the history of Arians wanting a back that can pass block.  So it made sense that Jones would be the least rosterable of the three.  Murphy's law of course would have him showing the best yesterday.  Now I'm likely going to drop Dare to try to get RJ back.

 

Dropped Jones for Dare?  🤔 

oof Cool.    Classic preseason overhyping

1 minute ago, dicka24 said:

This would be nice to know.  I didn't watch the game but as we all know his blitz pick up was a real problem last season.  If he's improved enough, or is passable at least, it would be a big help to his snap count.

 

Don’t want to look too close TBH.   Chalking this up to a win 😝 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any clips showing all his touches for week 1? I'm not having any luck finding anything. I didn't see the game but the stats look promising if he can build on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was quite shocked how good he looked yesterday considering his 2018 season. Will be interesting to see if TB starts to run the ball more this year considering how Winston played yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Big Nate said:

Any clips showing all his touches for week 1? I'm not having any luck finding anything. I didn't see the game but the stats look promising if he can build on this.


I saw a couple of runs and he showed some nice vision and cut back ability. He certainly didn't look like a "bust". 

It's also interesting to note that Arians came out and basically blamed Peyton Barber for one of Winston's INTs which could mean trouble for Barber or it could just be Arians protecting his fragile QB. 

Either way, I would buy Jones asap. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wideopen21 said:


I saw a couple of runs and he showed some nice vision and cut back ability. He certainly didn't look like a "bust". 

It's also interesting to note that Arians came out and basically blamed Peyton Barber for one of Winston's INTs which could mean trouble for Barber or it could just be Arians protecting his fragile QB. 

Either way, I would buy Jones asap. 

If he really blamed Barber that isn't worth paying attention to. I saw the play live and it was all on Winston. Winston never should have thrown that ball. The QB on the other team made the exact same mistake on the opposite side of the field a bit earlier in the game as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, devaster said:

If he really blamed Barber that isn't worth paying attention to. I saw the play live and it was all on Winston. Winston never should have thrown that ball. The QB on the other team made the exact same mistake on the opposite side of the field a bit earlier in the game as well.

 

100%. It doesn't matter if Barber ran the wrong route, if you're throwing an outside ball on a curl to a RB going against Richard Sherman, you've already made the wrong decision.

 

That being said, I thought Jones looked explosive yesterday. The one pass he caught was great and converted a long third down with his after the catch moves. If he keeps doing stuff like that he'll see more looks.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SilentSentinel said:

 

100%. It doesn't matter if Barber ran the wrong route, if you're throwing an outside ball on a curl to a RB going against Richard Sherman, you've already made the wrong decision.

 

That being said, I thought Jones looked explosive yesterday. The one pass he caught was great and converted a long third down with his after the catch moves. If he keeps doing stuff like that he'll see more looks.

It doesn’t matter if a rb runs the wrong route because the qb shouldn’t have thrown it... 🤔 

 

is that how film study works?  Lol

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The point is that having the other teams top corner spending a play covering a running back is already a win for you from a schematic perspective. You take away that advantage by throwing it at said RB.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked fantastic I Thought

Might have to use FAAB on him. My waiver is slim pickings. What ya guys think 10%-20%? 

Just lost my week 5/6 byw week fill in Guice. Justin Jackson watched Ek go off and Royce Freeman TBD

Edited by Eaglesflyhigh11
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SilentSentinel said:

The point is that having the other teams top corner spending a play covering a running back is already a win for you from a schematic perspective. You take away that advantage by throwing it at said RB.

That’s true but irrelevant.  Barbers job was to run the route dictated by the play.    Jameis being slow of 🧠 and throwing the ball there merely compounds the mistake.    

 

Not to say this means Barber is done by a long shot-  but it’s not good to run the wrong route.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Onion said:

 

Can he pass block and pick up blitzes yet? Didn't see any of the game, but that was the rub on him up until now. 

 

I second the need for this info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the entire game. And the dude is like a new human being somehow. They need to make Barber a healthy scratch and see what they’ve got here. Jones ran off seriously 3 or 4 straight 9-10 yard gains in a row. I would even say that if Winston wasn’t a knucklehead and checked down to Jones who was open every single time in the flat, instead of throwing long into double and triple coverage, the Bucs might have even won. 

Edited by MrPositive
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He looked great out there. Deserves passing work too since he is legitimately a threat to take anything to the house.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5:04 for the Jones analysis. Chris Harris is usually pretty accurate when evaluating RBs. I remember him hyping up rookie Kamara like crazy before anyone even thought about picking him up.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks very good on tape, interesting🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps it was the coaching and the O-line.  R Jones is a hot hand to play for next week.  Investing in him now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He seems like a different back this year. He looked fast and elusive in Sunday's game. Go figure. Perhaps he was nursing an undisclosed injury last year.

I would pick him up ASAP off the WW for a decent flex play. And, as stated above, if Winston can stop killing drives with INTs and fumbles who knows what his TD potential could be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, brosephd said:

looked better but i've been burned so many times from the bucs. torn lol

I agree...I think more times than any other team lol.

I do own ronjon in one league and will attempt to pick him off the waivers in my other this week. Interested to see the next couple weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, trolltoll said:

I agree...I think more times than any other team lol.

I do own ronjon in one league and will attempt to pick him off the waivers in my other this week. Interested to see the next couple weeks.

The Arians value alone is worth a waiver burn here imo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish RoJo would take over to become RB2. The talent is there but murkey situation needs monitoring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, mjb said:

Wish RoJo would take over to become RB2. The talent is there but murkey situation needs monitoring.

Then youll likely be monitoring him on another team. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.